Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife Hobby Burnout, Taking A Break

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Knife Hobby Burnout, Taking A Break
February 27, 2018 07:42PM
Carter from the XIUXIU1313 YouTube is back making videos:
[youtu.be]

I am pretty burnt out on my knife hobby, and I think I need a break from it for a while. Anyone else get like this?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: Knife Hobby Burnout, Taking A Break
February 27, 2018 07:48PM
I think Cliff obviously is...or at least it's not a major interest for him at this point I would guess. I know I was talking with Mark not long ago and he too was burnt out.

I might be burnt out...I just don't have any place to use the big blades I like right now, nor any money to buy any other types, so I'm on hiatus so to speak.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
February 27, 2018 08:09PM
time of year and weather maybe? hard to excited about going to 40*F damp shop to work on blade no one may want. maybe time to slow down and wait for spring.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
February 27, 2018 08:10PM
No surprise for Cliff, he had to repeat pretty much same stuff and quite often
so after the time it must have start to be really mentally tiring/boring.

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
sal
February 28, 2018 02:20AM
Hi Jason,

I remember Wayne Goddard telling me how he burned out on making custom knives, and then discovered forging which renewed his passion until he too old to forge.

For what it's worth, I enjoy your threads, though as prolific as you are, I can see maybe a change or at least slowing down.

sal
February 28, 2018 04:46AM
C Amber
I think Cliff obviously is...or at least it's not a major interest for him at this point I would guess.

Yes and no. Knives and working with them is still a major interest for me, however awhile ago I had the chance to start working with kids with various learning issues (I don't like the term disability), some behavioral some intellectual, and this combines three great passions of mine :

-teaching
-math/physics
-learning

Some of the kids are very keen to learn, but they have issues. For example, one kid gets blackouts on tests and so I spent weeks reading everything I could about text anxiety to come up with a program to help them. Other kids have dyscalculia (essentially the parts of their brain that relate numbers didn't develop well - this is somewhat of a controversial subject as of now as it is a very new diagnosis). This forced me to completely reinvent the way I would present material because they simply could not grasp things at all as I learned them. Plus I have other kids with Autism, ADHD, ODD, etc. .

IF, our culture was different now than it was, I would actually do a LOT of knife demonstrations in class. In my first teaching job (which was ~20 years ago), I actually brought swords into class. However, that kind of thing would kind of be off limits now. I currently carry a Spyderco Native and even it I have to be very careful with (open slowly, etc.).

In short, if I can teach/study, I will almost always do that. If I can't, well I will play with knives. If I can't do that, well I tend to watch very silly b-movies. If I can't do that, well I mainly go to sleep and hope when I wake up I can do one of the former. I really need to find a way to combine all of them, say star in a horrible b-movie where I teach math to ninjas or lumberjacks.
February 28, 2018 05:24AM
Sal,
I will never stop being interested in knives or sharpening, it just seems that you can only advance so far before needing some time off or to switch to something else in the knife world, which is difficult for me because of limited time, energy, resources, ect, like everyone else.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
February 28, 2018 12:10PM
Thanks for the clarification Cliff.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

sal
February 28, 2018 08:28PM
Jason,

Understand. I'm here if you need/want anything.

Cliff,

We make wood and plastic knife kits for kids to assemble. We've had good reactions to them when we work with local kids and scouts. If you are interested, we'd be happy to donate to your noble cause.

sal
KWB
March 01, 2018 02:06AM
I know for myself, I am very focused and determined when I am on something kinda all or nothing so to speak. Being in business for multiple things it is the constant things to do that wears me out. I take a little break from whatever it is, then come back fresh and renewed.

Contact 570-486-9095
March 01, 2018 03:32AM
sal,
Thank you, you are awesome!

March 02, 2018 08:12PM
hopefully I can get motivated soon. weather hasn't helped, days of clouds and light rain. basketball is over for grandson, so no more going to see him play twice a week.
i guess part of the burnout is reading other forums and seeing the same questions and the same answers. and if i answer and it doesn't fit the going theme, I am a cynical troll just looking to disagree.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
March 03, 2018 03:24AM
Sal,

Sure, appreciated.
March 03, 2018 09:49AM
Uh can one of the kids projects be shipping the Basic 10 back to me? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
sal
March 03, 2018 05:02PM
Hey Cliff,

email me with your needs. I think you have both my business and personal email addresses, but I'll send them anyway.

sal
March 04, 2018 10:29PM
Burn out is a definite thing. I got busy with work, what money I had gets channeled into other things.

I don’t really have the ability to play around with a lot of my knives anymore either. I live in an apartment, so I can’t run around breaking stuff and chopping scrap lumber.

I’m also down a computer, so long write ups are a pain.

Sorry I’ve been away so long, hope y’all are well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
March 05, 2018 04:49AM
Bill,
I live in an apartment too, it definitely limits what I can do.

Video:
[youtu.be]

March 05, 2018 10:57AM
I do live in a house, but in a suburban community in swamp land, so not a ton of uses for what I like to do.

March 05, 2018 01:52PM
CliffStamp
This forced me to completely reinvent the way I would present material because they simply could not grasp things at all as I learned them.

Eric Weinstein might offer some useful strategies to you. I've heard him speak of his learning disabilities growing up and one can gleam some strategies from his interviews. These might be things you are already doing...

[www.youtube.com]
March 05, 2018 05:49PM
Bill,
Being down a computer is a bummer. I only used a smartphone for a few years and doing any real work was tedious. I did end up getting a notepad, then a Chromebook, then finally a real laptop. The Chromebook is very nice, probably my favorite, plus you usually can put Linux and/or Windows 10 on them also.

March 06, 2018 02:46PM
tarantella
]

Eric Weinstein might offer some useful strategies to you.

Thanks, I appreciate the resource.

I have a bunch of google scholar links set up for any new research on pedology, ADHD, ODD, autism, dyscalculia, dyslexia, etc. to keep up to date with current research, but I am also always interested to find out what people who have worked through these issues have done.

I am working now with a kid who has dyscalculia which is very challenging as they are A+ in everything aside from Math which they are tanking. It is very difficult to explain things to them in a non-mathematical sense as I have to rethink the way I understand the concepts.
March 06, 2018 11:31PM
CliffStamp
Thanks, I appreciate the resource.
I have a bunch of google scholar links set up for any new research on pedology, ADHD, ODD, autism, dyscalculia, dyslexia, etc. to keep up to date with current research, but I am also always interested to find out what people who have worked through these issues have done.
I am working now with a kid who has dyscalculia which is very challenging as they are A+ in everything aside from Math which they are tanking. It is very difficult to explain things to them in a non-mathematical sense as I have to rethink the way I understand the concepts.

I was diagnosed ADD/ADHD 12 years ago at age 53. When I was in school, ADD was not an official diagnosis. some folks close to me thought I had it and I volunteered for a study at Duke for new meds for adult ADD. I tested 100% for ADD and 70% for ADHD by the DSM5 which is the psychological diagnosis manual. up until 6 months ago I took Adderall and it helped. just needed to give my body a break after 11+ years of daily adderall.
for the folks you work with who have ADD/ADHD:
see if medication helps. just giving a kid a pill is not the answer. my MD and I worked for a year to find the best dose for me, best improvement and least side effects. ADD medication comes in three different classes of med and then actual dosage. Adderall, which is an amphetamine, worked best for me. so the patient, their parents, and their doctors need to work and find best med and best dose. once they do, it has to be taken every day at the same time.
set up the work with a definite structure and in small increments. it is easier for me to complete a task as ten 10 minute steps than one 100 minute step.
remove possible distractions to include cell phone, music, other people walking by or talking, NO CALCULATOR
have them memorize the math tables at least thru 12, 15 would be better
hope this helps. will talk about it more if you want

scott
[www.etsy.com]
March 06, 2018 11:47PM
got distracted by wife and feeding wood stove. a good ADD source book is Driven to Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell,

scott
[www.etsy.com]
March 07, 2018 04:52PM
Speaking of ADHD, I was diagnosed also a few years ago.

March 07, 2018 11:28PM
Jason, a good antidote to knife burnout is to get into firearms.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
March 08, 2018 12:05AM
Chum: Yeah, it will make you so fed up with guns that you get back into knives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

March 08, 2018 02:24AM
Chum,
Good idea.

March 08, 2018 03:26AM
Good thread on a number of fronts. Nice to hear you’re back in the classroom Cliff, and the good work your doing for those special kids.

I guess I do go through spurts on my hobbies, but with knives I have accumulated more than I can ever use in a lifetime and am happy with what I have- I find myself using a handful of knives and the rest just sit- a few McCullen and Calton knives will do that.
March 08, 2018 03:33AM
Chad: Ha.

I don’t really carry fixed blades anymore, but own and love them. But mostly they sit there until I look at them.

My McCullen Tar River gets used every day, though. Best tactical kitchen knife I own.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

March 08, 2018 05:34AM
Bugout Bill
Chum: Yeah, it will make you so fed up with guns that you get back into knives.

This spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member