Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife Hobby Burnout, Taking A Break

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Knife Hobby Burnout, Taking A Break
March 19, 2018 02:09PM
For me, this is a huge reason I am wanting to take a break:
[youtu.be]

from 28m23s to 30m.

The new knives don't really interest me and like the rotation I have.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
March 19, 2018 03:25PM
I can totally feel that, but social media (Instagram) has kept it up somewhat for me since I keep seeing new stuff I wouldn't have otherwise known about. For example, I'm really liking the looks of the Kershaw Atmos and some of the TUYA (company I would never know about without Instagram) knife models. Plus, knives are a shared hobby with so many people here, that it's a lot of fun to see what Jeremy, Joe and Marthinus are putting out these days.
March 19, 2018 07:06PM
Luisknivacc,
I agree with that. It is nice to see makers you follow post their work.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
April 19, 2018 04:47PM
I got burned out on the "super" steel rat race, and fortunately this occurred when Spyderco jacked the prices up again, so I was able to sell all the Spydercos except a lone Delica on ebay for a profit.

I'm more interested in design and security now, so Coldsteel was a natural choice. Sharpening has replaced the steel fixation.
August 20, 2018 03:06PM
Looks like Nick Shabazz is starting to get a little burned out also:
Video: Why?
[youtu.be]

Spyderco and a few other companies get special mention as makers that constantly innovate and put out interesting models, and I would have to agree. Benchmade not as much as of late, but they are still one of my favorite companies/makers. The knives from China seem to be pushing the cost/value ratio.

August 21, 2018 03:27AM
Benchmade has been boring for years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
sal
August 22, 2018 01:51AM
Hi Jason,

Thanx for the link to Nick's video. I have a lot of respect for Nick and I must admit that it's an interesting discussion. Maybe I'll start a thread on our site to ask.

On this site, we have makers, testers, users, etc. So what do you think of the question Nick poses?

sal
August 22, 2018 07:29PM
Sal,
I think a few things are happening. Keep in mind that because of my health, my ability to purchase the knives that I used to prefer is highly restricted. I have mostly been getting so called 'budget knives', of which there are a lot of great knives. For pocket-knives, I think that the tactical knife craze has transitioned into two main areas, the performance knife, and the pocket jewelry/mid-tech. Both of the fall under what was coined in a knife magazine some time ago, the term 'user-collector'. This is someone who buys a knife, uses it for a time, then gets another knife and adds previous one to the EDC rotation, or it is sold/traded. I think that the pocket knife market is saturated, from $20-$200, there's a whole lot of great choices. For the collector, there usually are never enough knives, only your financial resources and physical space for storage are ones limits. On top of that, the MAP policy and great knives made in China are effecting how some people buys knives. For instance, why buy $180 Benchmade 940 when you can get a MassDrop Thresher which is a Gavko design for the same price? Speaking about knife crazes, the bushcraft one seems to have also slowed. There is an interest in knife performance, different steels, and edge retention, so people are looking for thinner grinds and higher HRC as well as tougher and easier to sharpen. More people are sharpening their own knives, and this creates a more informed knife user.

Edit:
I think people need a reason to be excited about buying a new knife, and like Nick said, because of the knife and not marketing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 07:59PM by jasonstone20.
August 26, 2018 12:41AM
Here is an example of a video roundup of 10 budget knives under $50:
[youtu.be]

There are just a ton of amazing knives out there!

September 06, 2018 04:03AM
BladeForums thread on Stagnation of the Knife Industry:
[www.bladeforums.com]

September 07, 2018 11:18PM
Jason: That is an excellent OP in that thread. Very well put.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
September 08, 2018 12:09AM
Bill,
Yes, I thought it painted the picture of the current situation pretty well. It is basically how I had felt about things, but the OP expressed it way better than I ever could.

November 08, 2019 01:23AM
If it wasn't for knife sharpening, I would have lost interest in knives as a hobby for a while. Very few people save you guys here and some custom makers care about knives that are designed for actual cutting. People forget the whole novelty of a Tactical or Survival blade was that it could take a beating, pry and still cut things. I carry a $4.95 5.5" pry bar for that. I choose to just cut things with my knives. I like knives that actually cut and were designed to. I just got my first ball bearing flipper. It was Chinese made. It was thin behind the edge for a production knife, 0.018". It had one of the best factory edges I have ever come across. That being said, very little interests me. Even though it has a good fidget factor, I would not buy this knife (it was a gift from a good friend), even though it has all of the features I desire in a pocket knife, and an action only to be found in $200-300 knives from a just a few years ago. If US manufacturers want to stay in business, they better catch up.

November 16, 2019 06:54PM
I really am not liking all the drama in the knife community, especially on social media.

November 17, 2019 10:35AM
I was under the impression things were settling down, what's going on?
November 18, 2019 05:32AM
Luis,
Just people having clashes of personalities and not discussing things in an adult manner. When people are not getting along, I am usually some shade of unhappy. I don't expect everyone to get along with everyone all the time, but at least make a good-faith effort to behave like an adult.

November 18, 2019 03:06PM
Luis,
Also, I am tired of all the misinformation, shilling, and echo chambers that form. If you want a knife to cut, you want it to be on the thinner side BTE and you use an edge angle closer to zero. If you want a knife to take abuse and pry, you make it thicker. Geometry is king. I am sick of hearing about magic new steels and new HT that are going to defy physics. There are a few custom makers out there doing good work, but a dozen people are not the whole industry unfortunately. Also I am running into questions that don't have answers right now, and I have no idea how to get them. So I am left with a bagful of unanswered questions. I don't want to seem ungrateful, as I have met some very awesome people who have been very generous and kind to me, you included. The thing is when I try to branch out beyond this forum, it is BladeForums all over again. I have only lurked at BladeForums for 20 years for a reason.

edit: Also, usually once money comes into a situation, people are no longer open with their work, which to some extent is expected, but it doesn't help the research everyone is trying to get done. I will continue to do my research on my own, it is just nice to work with people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2019 03:09PM by jasonstone20.
August 11, 2020 03:48AM
Everyone, I am taking a little break to brush up on my video making and picture taking, as well as starting to do some regrinds with the Tormek to make some neck knives out of some Victorinox Paring knives. I am still kind of burnt out with knives, but not with knife sharpening, and Cliff and Kyley are helping me with these projects. So I when I do start posting again, it is going to be a bunch of stuff, because I am trying to get my production value up in everything: videos, pictures, knife sharpening, and anything else related. If anyone needs to get a hold of me, just email me at jasonstone20@yahoo.com.

Thank you everyone.

Jason.

August 30, 2020 05:19PM
1) The Myth Of The "Gentleman" and "Gentleman Attire"
2) Ultra Super Tactical Gear
3) Military/Police Issued Gear
4) Similar Micro-Company D2 Drop Point Folder Made in China
5) Shill Sites With No Substance

[www.youtube.com]

November 22, 2020 07:12PM
I look forward to seeing your videos Jason! On YouTube I occasionally watch Fun in the Woods (Realbigmonkey)

I never got “out” of the hobby, but the hobby sure likes to get away from me...

The constant focus on folders and new steels is objectively quite boring.

Right now, besides Wall knives (and another one I am at odds with, and really mostly makes small bushcraft types anyway) there is literally no one making hollow handle knives, which really shows what I think is the problem: A lack on interest in design originality and imagination. You look at a copy of Levine’s illustrated guide to knives from the 1980s, and you see just how massively varied the hobby was back then...

There are entire categories of knives that are now completely absent, based on narrow assumptions as to what is a competent design. For instance, the assumption that Sabre Hollow Grinds don’t belong on a large chopper... Aside the Shrade Schf 45, the only large hollow grind choppers (without one of those painful recurve edge design) are large Randall Made Knives designed in the 1950s... These didn’t get the memo hollow grinds are weak... Just for the softer deceleration in wood, hollow grinds should be a no brainer on large choppers. They should be massively available: Instead, when an Asian subcontractor displays some common sense and initiative, and adds a useful hollow grind to an American designer’s clunky masterpiece, the designer blows his top over his design actually being made better (The Jessica X debacle, not that most here care). All this over the PERCEPTION of what such a grind should be... If this guy did an actually honest side by side chopping test, instead of snapping the points off like a moron, he might have learned something useful...

Such close minded attitudes stifle design evolution, and lead not only to stagnation, but regression.

Just a few of the blade or knife styles NOT being explored in view of actual performance:

-Hollow Grinds on choppers.
-Stainless steels on choppers
-Forked full tangs as handle compartments
-Kraton or other rubber handle designs on choppers
-Flared US Tanto tip shape on choppers, to add mass near tip (only one badly profiled attempt so far, the Tops Hellion)
-New more effective double row sawback designs
-Non-recurved flared shapes on choppers

To say any of the above would be mere gimmicks is to judge in advance, without facts. The range of designs and innovation is so constrained (aside Tops, whose geometry and designs are usually not great) it’s no wonder people feel burned out on this hobby...

Even in folders, the boring dominance of liner/frame locks shows no great sense of actual practicality: With no closure bias besides the resistance of a minuscule ball bearing, I’ve never looked at these as particularly attractive after a Crkt badly injured me 20 years ago: It can take years of carry, but nothing is there to prevent it, however unlikely the event. I really like the SOG arc-lock on my Fatcat (if not its silly, useless and oh-so fashionable recurve). This lock probably dates back to a time when there were actual innovations in this hobby...

So if you are burned out, it could be the hobby getting away from you. As one Ford engineer put it in 1982 “The hot rod market never left us, we left it”

G.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 07:20PM by Gaston444.
November 25, 2020 02:08AM
Gaston444:
Yeah, it is either feast or famine with the knife world!

April 26, 2021 07:28AM
Well everyone, I have started my journey into knife making. Right now I am just starting out making Kydex sheaths for Victorinox 3.25" paring knives, and packaging them as a lightweight light use edc or small fishing knife, either as a belt knife or a neck knife. So I have been busy.

April 26, 2021 03:40PM
I like where you are going with the sheaths.
April 26, 2021 05:08PM
Thank you!

April 27, 2021 03:58PM
jasonstone20
Well everyone, I have started my journey into knife making.

Are you going to make super thick folders with a saber grind? I hear those are the best for prying, batoning and operating.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
April 30, 2021 05:42AM
Chum,
Of course! What else? Maybe I will make a Scandi-Vex Chopper that is 0.5" thick and 0.050" BTE

May 05, 2021 06:41PM
jasonstone20
Chum,
Of course! What else? Maybe I will make a Scandi-Vex Chopper that is 0.5" thick and 0.050" BTE

Good call! That sounds like a serious operator's weapon.
If you can baton through wood, you can baton through the enemy's arm or neck.

Seriously though. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
May 07, 2021 03:25PM
Chum,
Thanks. I am thinking high performance geometry, high performance cutting tools.

sal
May 10, 2021 10:42PM
Hi Jason,

Looking forward to it.

sal
May 13, 2021 04:55AM
sal,
Thanks. I have a long way to go, but next step is knife blanks so I can learn how to make handles, after I get good at making the Kydex sheaths first.