Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Power And Dry Sharpening Lower Edge Retention?

Posted by jasonstone20 
Does Power And Dry Sharpening Lower Edge Retention?
November 07, 2018 10:15AM
If you look at Pete's work (Cedric and Ada on YouTube), you see a huge contrast between the powered WorkSharp sharpened edge's, and the non powered edges/Tormek:

237 cut tests, 23 factory edges, 94 non-powered sharpenings/Tormek, 119 WorkSharp powered, dry sharpenings:

[docs.google.com]

The yellow (factory) and green dots (non-powered sharpenings/Tormek) are significantly higher number of cuts than the blue (WorkSharp, dry and powered sharpening).

Some of the difference can be edge angle and grit finish. I wonder if wet powered sharpening is better than any dry sharpening, whether powered or not. I think Dr. Roman Landes says you should always sharpen wet for best results.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Does Power And Dry Sharpening Lower Edge Retention?
January 04, 2019 11:36AM
Here is a PDF that shows a study with power sharpening vs whet stone sharpening:
[researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
February 25, 2019 03:40PM
jasonstone20

Some of the difference can be edge angle and grit finish.

These can easily give a difference of orders of magnitude (10 to 1000X).

Imagine if you were trying to see the difference that eating three meals a day meant for athletic performance vs one meal a day, and you random sampled across a bunch of athletes of different sexes, training commitment, drug use, age, experience etc. .

If there was a difference, it would be very hard if not impossible to see given the massive difference the other factors make. This kind of analysis is possible (my thesis work was on it) but it is VERY hard, you have to do multi-factor modeling and it is so easy to get wrong conclusions.

In this cases there are likely two main factors :

-the finish
-cooled vs hot sharpening

When you compare to different abrasives, it is likely the grit finish will dominate anything else unless they are very similar. For example a novice with literally minutes of instruction can produce an edge with a coarse stone that will outslice on rope anything someone with vast experience can do with a high polish, a the edge grit finish is ~1000X .
February 25, 2019 05:53PM
Cliff,
Interesting. I find it difficult to tell things apart when data is group together when there are more than one difference between tests. I don't have experience in that type of work and study, which is why I just labeled the two main differences I good see.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login