Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Is The Point Of Hair Whittling Edges?

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What Is The Point Of Hair Whittling Edges?
March 09, 2019 04:24PM
KnifeGrinders/WootzBlades, a knife sharpener who participates on the BESS Forum and BladeForums, talked about a problem when shipping his customers knives back to them when they were passing an HHT/Hair Whittling edge, the didn't arrive being that sharp. I noticed a similar issue and made a thread about it on this forum. This makes me wonder what is the point of getting a head hair HHT edge when it just goes down to beard hair HHT sharpness? I have noticed this with carbon steel and stainless steel. I plan on asking a few people in the knife world their opinions on the subject, and posting their responses here.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: What Is The Point Of Hair Whittling Edges?
May 31, 2020 08:59PM
Noticed similar thing.. wrapped knife into the towel and after few hours of carrying it w me..
Bess could drop as much as from 55g to about 95g..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
me2
May 31, 2020 09:42PM
When I sharpen to a certain sharpness, it tells me I've done it right. That extra bit of sharpness only makes a difference in a handful of tasks. However, having a standard and meeting it let's me know my edge wasn't compromised by something I did. It can get a bit ridiculous though. I have started looking for speed in sharpening. 30 minutes of sharpening for 1 hour of work seems a bad trade. 2 minutes of sharpening seems much better. I just glued up new sharpening blocks. The angle control reduces time to sharpen. I can sharpen my Misuzu Bunka one a week or so and it stays at least arm shaving sharp. Once a week, or maybe 2 weeks, I resharpen it. I can sometimes just go to a 4k waterstone but most times a 1k waterstone is required.
May 31, 2020 11:55PM
me2
When I sharpen to a certain sharpness, it tells me I've done it right. That extra bit of sharpness only makes a difference in a handful of tasks. However, having a standard and meeting it let's me know my edge wasn't compromised by something I did.

That is an excellent point. I think the reason why I would chase initial sharpness
to such high level is about the same.. It didnt come to my mind how to express it,
But you said it well. Same for me.. its sort of an assurance that most was done right
in the process..

June 01, 2020 12:18AM
me2, JSCT:
Same here. The initial sharpness tells me if I did my job on the stones.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
cKc
June 01, 2020 03:45AM
jasonstone20
This makes me wonder what is the point of getting a head hair HHT edge when it just goes down to beard hair HHT sharpness?

Well, one time this will be good is when you actually want to shave.

I think Oxidation plays a large part in that fast dulling of the edge. barbers typically need to strop before each shave because the fine edge oxidizes so fast

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
June 01, 2020 12:15PM
cKc
jasonstone20
This makes me wonder what is the point of getting a head hair HHT edge when it just goes down to beard hair HHT sharpness?

Well, one time this will be good is when you actually want to shave.

I think Oxidation plays a large part in that fast dulling of the edge. barbers typically need to strop before each shave because the fine edge oxidizes so fast

I noticed this on AEB-L but dont know whats the reason and would be interesting to see if I observe the same
on something with extreme corrosion resistance like nitrobe77 or there will be an improvement..
Perhaps whatever I find out I dont think can be considered accurate..

June 15, 2020 06:22PM
Interesting discussion. I am contemplating getting 4micron .5 micron and .1 micron as a possible edge for customers, but reading here, now I wonder.
June 17, 2020 09:25PM
marthinus
Interesting discussion. I am contemplating getting 4micron .5 micron and .1 micron as a possible edge for customers, but reading here, now I wonder.

Anything sub 1um in abrasive grain size I consider too fine to be beneficial
for any cutting task I would use a knife for.

I may only strop finer if I am going to shave my face comfortably
perhaps most knives have sharpening angle around 30deg inclusive or higher
and thats not what would I call comfortable shaving..
I shawed whole face w 240mm gyuto because
I saw others to do it and was curious..
for aeb-l I used only nat for razors and plain leather..

June 18, 2020 09:53PM
[www.bladeforums.com]