Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kydex in the Winter

Posted by Ryan Nafe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Kydex in the Winter
April 08, 2020 06:34PM
Fellas,

How many of you guys have used Kydex sheaths in temperatures below freezing?

I think it would be a poor choice for cold weather, with good leather being the optimal material for that, but I’m not sure just how bad Kydex actually is. Have any of you guys actually had sheaths crack, blades freeze/stick inside, or other problems like that in cold weather?

There’s a semi-local leather maker that has excellent quality work, the sort of sheaths that can be used daily and still outlive the user. But they are really quite expensive, well over twice the cost of Kydex, and a large portion of my use would be in warmer weather anyway.

I’m curious if it’s actually as big of a problem as I think it would be, or if I’m exaggerating it in my head.
cKc
Re: Kydex in the Winter
April 08, 2020 06:45PM
Cliff always replaced all my kydex with custom leather. he said often in his temperatures if he tossed the big knives in sheaths to the ground the kydex could crack or get damaged...

so yes, i guess it does happen. if you are in extreme cold, and intend to bash the sheath around, get leather. if its just on your belt, its probably going to be fine

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
cKc
April 08, 2020 06:46PM
might be of interest

April 08, 2020 07:34PM
cKc
Cliff always replaced all my kydex with custom leather. he said often in his temperatures if he tossed the big knives in sheaths to the ground the kydex could crack or get damaged...

That’s what I was thinking of. It’s a difficult decision. Practicality and ultimate durability vs. cost and time, I suppose.
June 11, 2020 12:55AM
Anybody interested in experiencing how well kydex can function when executed well, should send a knife or two to Eric @ Mashed Cat Outfitters. Hands down, by a large margin, his sheaths are almost without peer. Every other maker I have used aside from one (Okuden, whom I believe mentored and taught Eric) have been very poorly done despite being called 'custom sheaths'. There are a lot of sheath/holster makers that use kydex, very few that do it extremely well!
cKc
June 11, 2020 05:53AM
Nothingman
Anybody interested in experiencing how well kydex can function when executed well, should send a knife or two to Eric @ Mashed Cat Outfitters. Hands down, by a large margin, his sheaths are almost without peer. Every other maker I have used aside from one (Okuden, whom I believe mentored and taught Eric) have been very poorly done despite being called 'custom sheaths'. There are a lot of sheath/holster makers that use kydex, very few that do it extremely well!

yeah. i had one of his sheaths for a buses.. its pretty good..

Bruces friend Randy has been making sheaths the last few years which are great. his picks a lot of popular knives that are consistent so you don't need to send the knife in