Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recurves

Posted by YESH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recurves
June 11, 2020 01:09AM
Recurves are one of those things I just cannot figure out for the life of me how I feel about them. On the one hand they do improve cutting ability on a draw, but on the other they trade off much in the way of ease of sharpening and importantly when sort of implement you can use to sharpen them. Standard bench stones are a poor choice, which happen to be my preferred way of sharpening on Atoma plate or vitrified stones. Let us discuss these polarizing qualities of knife design that seems most fall into either LOVE or HATE, when it comes to recurves.
Re: Recurves
June 11, 2020 03:32AM
Nothingman,
I remember when recurves were real popular back in the late 1990's, all the way through the mid-2000's. I think they don't offer than much of a positive trade off. They make sharpening a lot more difficult on a very important, often used part of the blade, without offering a large improvement in performance.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
June 11, 2020 01:30PM
Some ancient patterns in this thread. Recurves have been with us a very long time, why? The shape itself probably doesn't offer any advantage under 5" blade size or so.

I have a couple of friends with Tom Brown tracker knives. Maybe the use-case was similar for our ancient ancestors?
June 11, 2020 02:34PM
Very interest stuff in that linked thread, I wish we knew more about the design/use philosophies of those blades... fascinating!
me2
June 12, 2020 03:48PM
I bought a BM 710 when they were still using ATS-34. Then I got a Kershaw Vapor. Finally I have a CRKT M21 with a slight recurve. They make a knife look good, but I avoid them now. They didn't offer enough advantage for me to have a dedicated set of stones just for the one or 2 I had.
June 12, 2020 04:09PM
me2,
Exactly. If I am going to have a knife that isn't readily sharpenable on normal stones, I need a S, Reverse-S, Hawkbill or serrated edge. Those edges have way more of a cutting advantage, but are limited in other ways.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
June 12, 2020 04:45PM
The sharpening stone argument is kind of weird coming from guys with sharpmaker rods and budgets that can easily afford slipstones. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Joking aside, I get it.

How are you dealing with recurves that are made by sharpening (improper or otherwise)? I personally don't see that much added difficulty in sharpening small recurves but I'm not that experienced in it either.

Keep in mind my number one stone is a broken norton india that I usually use dry. Half-temped to radius one of the stone' edges on the driveway right now. winking smiley

More recurve goodness.
June 12, 2020 07:31PM
I don't ever create recurve by sharpening, not with my technique... but if I get a knife that already has one I'll just grind it straight into a stone the cut it flat. I think I've seen it referred to as jointing the edge, haven't done it but a couple/few times so far though.
June 12, 2020 08:29PM
^^^^This

June 12, 2020 10:51PM
I just use the corner of the stone to get in close to the ricasso. Mostly on abused kitchen knives.
me2
June 13, 2020 09:34PM
The slight recurves that come from sharpening were made with the same stones, so they sharpen w/o trouble. That said, I try to remedy them when I see them forming.

The Sharpmaker corners don't cut very fast. Recurves don't cut well enough to get different stones just for them. I have one recurve left, but it's a large Kukri Machete from Cold Steel. Once I finish adding a primary grind to it like on the Barong Machete, I'll just use the half round file I used to cut the new primary bevel to rough in the edge and finish on the Sharpmaker as best I can.
November 22, 2020 09:26PM
I hate them with a passion. My favourite folder ever, the SOG Fatcat (for its size, low weight and especially its lock) is afflicted with one. REK reground the silly edge angle to about 10 Dps, going in one smooth pass on the edge of his belt, and now I cannot use it since I cannot replicate this. A fighter only...

I disagree recurves went out of fashion in the mid 2000s. It seems to me they are still everywhere. And rods, unless guided, do not guide your stroke like a flat surface will.

Furthermore, if you get a wire edge, as is nearly inevitable, how do you wear or brake it off consistently?! The narrow surface of a rod does not even have the proper geometry to consistently remove a wire edge. Only powered tools can consistently do that on the concave area of a recurve. Unless you “align” a fragile wire edge, as Bill Bagwell suggests you do on fighters, there is no way you can get the same quality of sharpness on a recurve, and even if you do it is certainly with far more work and the freshest possible hone surface.

Recurves are an intrinsic part, but just one, of the cornucopia of bad ideas that make modern knives worse than they used to be:

-Recurves
-Convex edges
-CPM steels
-Full Profile tangs
-Sabre Flat Grinds
-Uncoated Carbon steels
-Kydex sheaths (that inevitably scratch blades to hell)
-Liner/frame locks
-Short fixed blades under 6”, especially if stout...

Let’s just say there’s not much going on I agree with...

G.
November 25, 2020 02:05AM
Gaston444:
Awesome!

December 19, 2020 05:46PM
Not my pictures (pictures by Travisg on BF) but do still own one of these.

Still love it. Still enjoy recurves.

I use the below to sharpen most of my knives lately. Some knives I have used and sharpened so much over the years they are becoming recurves.

December 19, 2020 09:12PM
I do like that this is an explicit recurve design, I've been seeing some lately where it seems almost accidental. Did you guys ever decide to make more of these?
December 20, 2020 12:40PM
Luisknivacc
I do like that this is an explicit recurve design, I've been seeing some lately where it seems almost accidental. Did you guys ever decide to make more of these?

Unfortunately life got in the way for the collaboration. Maybe one day again but Neill Schutte immigrated to Australia so will see how it goes and my work career took off the past 2 years.

There are around 6 out there and I know where 5 are. You are right that this was a recurve design from the beginning. The original design was with a 4 inch blade. Would love to make one of those big ones.