Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sigma 3k / 10k apexing difficulties of wear resistant steels

Posted by JSCT 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: sigma 3k / 10k apexing difficulties of wear resistant steels
July 08, 2020 01:39AM
All I want for Christmas is more arm hair. And leg hair.
July 08, 2020 03:46AM
curmudgeon,
Yeah, I have been testing knives and stones lately, both my arms and legs are bald. I am just going to start using push cutting phone book paper and also use cigarette paper instead. Also, I have cut myself a dozen times, so there's that.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
July 08, 2020 06:48AM
One of the things that can also break the performance of hard(er) bound stones is the flattening/lapping method as he wrote in the top comment of the Video he uses a Diamond Plate, which from my experience is okay with soft to medium hard bound stones but not hard ones as it just glazes the abrasive if the diamonds are not significantly bigger than the abrasive of the stone. Which can lead to the stone not shedding grit as it would when conditioned with loose sic for example.

I observed similar behaviour in German made stones from Zische (FEPA 120 as well as FEPA 1000) as well as Japanese made ones here the Naniwa Traditional 200. Which when flattened with a Atoma 140 would mostly glaze therefore cut slower and finer than they should while releasing no grit whatsoever. When you condition these stones with 60grit SIC for the FEPA 120 and 120 SIC for the FEPA 1000 stones they will be much faster shed a medium amount of grit and keep cutting.

[zische.de]

[www.shop-021.de]

[www.shop-021.de]
July 11, 2020 10:22PM
Sigma II Select Stones, full video, parts 1-4 21min long:
[www.youtube.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
July 14, 2020 11:11AM
CliffStamp
Can one, or both of you, make a video showing :

-the knife on the stone
-ideally a close in shot, I want to see how the stone is acting to the knife slurry wise
-what the sharpness is after the stone
-ideally cut some very fine paper, newsprint
-the apexing process
-similar sharpness test

If possible, but not necessary :

-shoot the edge on magnification before/after the stones

As a few notes, on video :

-go slower than normal to make it easier to see what it happening
-try to focus on the stone/knife, you are not the subject but the stone/knife

If that sounds harsh, this isn't about an Instagram influencer, I just want to know what the stone is doing, as your stones sound different than mine. I also have some time next week so I might be able to do some comparative sharpening.

I saved this post as bookmark and when time I will finish the video.. I have already some material
just must add a commentary and put it together with newer one..
I have no magnification availabe at home but can send knife to Pavol Sandor.
I understand why you asked for those things.. I dont see that as harsh in any way..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools