Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slipjoints For EDC

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Slipjoints For EDC
September 14, 2020 02:46AM
I often carry a slipjoint as a secondary or tertiary knife. It made me wonder if I could get by EDC'ing a slipjoint like I used to when I was younger. What do you guys think of slipjoints for EDC?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
JDW
Re: Slipjoints For EDC
September 14, 2020 06:28AM
I often carry slipjoints for edc. They work well for me. I have been carrying this Urban for the last few weeks.

sal
September 15, 2020 03:09PM
Hi Jason,

Haven't been here for a while. COVID is a PITA. Working from home and everything takes longer.

I carry Slippies often. I have a new 3.5" CPK (Canadian Penknife) prototype that's a useful piece and the Mike's PITS.

sal
September 15, 2020 08:04PM
I've carried a slipjoint often in the past few months, as long as you're not doing any cutting where you've got major stresses on the blade or can't see what you're cutting very well (usually the case for me), they behave just fine. And I appreciate that they're typically better ground for cutting, and have a more sane stock thickness.
September 15, 2020 10:01PM
How about Traditional or SAK style slipjoints?

Luis,
I have gotten a hold of some slipjoints that have been thick behind the edge, but these tend to be the newer made Traditional style blades. SAK's are still very thin behind the edge.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
JDW
September 16, 2020 07:10AM
I carried a Victorinox Alox Bantam for weeks this summer. Worked well for my use aswell. I have noticed that sometimes a lock is nice for easy opening knives but I can easily get by with a slipjoint. And if you really need a lock for strenght, a fixed blade would probably be a saver choice.
cKc
September 16, 2020 03:57PM
Swiss Army is my primary edc always. other knives are tool knives more than daily carry

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
September 17, 2020 08:37PM
cKc,
Yeah, I really like my Super Tinker. I think I am going to get a SAK Alox Pioneer X when I have some free money.

September 19, 2020 11:50AM
Slipjoints have grown and grown on me over the years. I’ m a big fan of the UKPK and Urban model with several of each. Have carried the aeb-l Urban and PITS most often in 2020, usually iwb in gym shorts (seems like all I’ve worn this year lol, but the weather has started to turn cooler). Have a lot of saks as well.

-Nate
me2
September 19, 2020 05:47PM
When I was working my 2nd job, I carried a Tern Byrd Slip-it. No issues at all. It has been replaced since I reground my Delica, but it's still around if I need it. I carried a Schrade Peanut for a long time as a secondary knife until I finally wore it out. For pure cutting it ran circles around the Benchmade TSEK I was carrying at the time.
September 20, 2020 05:33PM
I have been carrying the Super Tinker on a steel clip for the pocket of waistband, and a Rough Rider Clip Point Whittler to compare to the Rough Rider Seahorse Whittler:
[www.amazon.com]

September 26, 2020 05:42PM
I carried victorinox slip joints for year as one and only knife, at one point I had only one folding knife and it was an alox bantam - nothing wrong with slip joints

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
September 27, 2020 01:48AM
Stefan

I really like the Victorinox Alox Bantam. I had two, lost one. I carry it in my wallet as my second or third backup.They are a little hard to find and are expensive, in my experience. Maybe my favorite Victorinox.
JDW
September 29, 2020 06:19AM
I too like that one quite a bit!