Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cathodic protection for storing expensive carbon steel items

Posted by samksharma 
cathodic protection for storing expensive carbon steel items
September 29, 2015 08:04AM
Something like using a battery to make the steel item into the cathode.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I'm thinking of a stainless or graphite plate hooked to a positive battery terminal- just lay the item on the plate when not in use

I'm still unsure about some issues, the voltage (is more better?) is a static charge sufficient or does there actually need to be a current - maybe a multi-megohm resistor back to the other terminal?

maybe a very mildly alkaline lye solution (don't know yet how to keep it wet) to get good electrical contact between the protected item and the plate I put it on (plate's hooked to the positive battery terminal)

does anyone do this & know how to get it working? does it even make sense? Wiki has these

[papers.sae.org]
[www.ftc.gov]

I can't find the reasons it fails for the automotive case
Re: cathodic protection for storing expensive carbon steel items
September 30, 2015 01:59PM
I think they do that with ships when they are mothballed.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
September 30, 2015 03:35PM
My previous employer had cathodic protection for the buried pipes at the pressure adjusting stations, along with some other buried things. It is a system that works well for the long term on things that cannot be easily protected by other means.

For something like knives, however, it is difficult to argue that simply storing them in oil or grease wouldn't be a more cost effective solution if long term corrosion protection is needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
October 02, 2015 05:57PM
thanks Bill and Jason. I got a bit more education looking for how ICCP is applied to hulls, but as I suspected it looks too fiddly to be worth the time.

In the end, for long term storage I'll probably just get some silica gel dessicants (renewable for drying use in a microwave). very easy, few ways to screw it up, known to work ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login