Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amorphous Steel Razor Blade (Can You Imagine a Knife?)

Posted by jasonstone20 
Amorphous Steel Razor Blade (Can You Imagine a Knife?)
November 04, 2015 11:02AM
Looking at razor blade steel patents, to get a better idea of their history and development, along with the desired characteristics, I came across this:
Amorphous Razor Blade Steel Patent

And a little more in amorphous steel:

Amorphous Metal

I think a knife made out of this might be interested to test out and play with.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Amorphous Steel Razor Blade (Can You Imagine a Knife?)
January 12, 2016 07:29AM
jasonstone20
Looking at razor blade steel patents, to get a better idea of their history and development, along with the desired characteristics, I came across this:
Amorphous Razor Blade Steel Patent

And a little more in amorphous steel:

Amorphous Metal

I think a knife made out of this might be interested to test out and play with.

The first link is a patent to a steel composition that varies so much you can probably find more than a dozen steels that fit into that description. The patent is pure BS.

The second link is interesting, however.
January 12, 2016 12:05PM
Cobalt-
I think the first link isn't talking about the composition of the steel, like how much carbon ect, but how it's made, something about centrifuge, that's explained in the second link which is why I posted both of them together, I couldn't make heads or tales if the first Iink, the patent. I could be wrong.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
January 12, 2016 12:21PM
Cobalt

The first link is a patent to a steel composition that varies so much you can probably find more than a dozen steels that fit into that description. The patent is pure BS.

That is typical of steel patents (and material patents in general), they are very wide scope in composition. In general when you develop a steel you develop more of a family of steels not a particular composition. Imagine for example you patent a particular steel and all I have to do is just vary the composition by a tiny amount and just make it and claim it isn't under the patent.

A steel patent is basically functional, what are they trying to achieve and thus the compositions can be extremely broad.
January 12, 2016 12:56PM
0.5 to 5.0% carbon, 9.0 to 14.0% Cr and 0.5 to 8.0% Mo, 0.5 to 8.0% of B+Si

Are these two examples below the same family?

0.5% C, 9% Cr, 0.5% Mo, 0.5% B,Si vs 2.2%C, 14% Cr, 1% Mo, 1% B,Si
January 12, 2016 05:22PM
Cobalt,

Patents have some kind of scope, what they are talking about, in that particular one it is the amorphous structure, and the fact that class of steels, through balancing of the elemental composition produces a desired hardness and microstructure.

It is common for those types of patents to have huge ranges of elemental values, for example :

- [www.google.com]

- carbon values range from 0.1 to 2%
- vanadium ranges from 0.5 to 14%
- 16 to 30% Cr

These are massive sweeping ranges of elements. However in the patent they won't just say any steel in that range is in the patent, they have to be in particular relation to each other, made in certain ways (forming), etc. .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login