Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Washboard - HeavyHanded [Closed, lack of interest]

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Washboard - HeavyHanded
August 11, 2014 02:22PM
I don't feel like I can get an even stroke across the entire blade. It feels like I am all over the place on the angle, especially when I transition to the tip.
August 11, 2014 02:43PM
jcrowe
I don't feel like I can get an even stroke across the entire blade. It feels like I am all over the place on the angle, especially when I transition to the tip.

Thanks, I do in part a lot of rod sharpening so 1" wide to me feels very stable. That is an interesting comment and I wonder if it isn't why so many people have problems with the Sharpmaker rods and end up with dull spots, often in the tip.
August 16, 2014 02:13PM
Update : using paper plus the supplied silicon carbide compound to sharpen a 1095 Mora and check honing speed, initial sharpness and edge retention when carving pine. 20, 400 slices were made in total : [www.cliffstamp.com]
September 03, 2014 12:33PM
Update : [www.cliffstamp.com]

Using the Washboard with the silicon carbide compound with repeated honing.
September 03, 2014 03:03PM
Is anyone interested in using this? There are a few more things I want to try however I have other questions of interest as well and will be doing other work for some time.
DK
September 07, 2014 01:22AM
what brand are those steels?

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
September 07, 2014 05:43AM
DK
what brand are those steels?

I am not sure what you are referring to?
DK
September 08, 2014 12:23AM
chad234
I should note that except for polishing special use tools like straight razors, I have not favored stropping for some time. I kind of explained the reasons why about a dozen years ago in posts 18&19 in this thread (Cliff's review of the Opinel) and being a bit thick headed about these things, my views have not really changed*: [www.bladeforums.com]

Ironically, in the meantime, I have gone back to regular grooved steeling of kitchen knives, but still most often use either a diamond or ceramic stick hone for touching up an edge.

Martin- since we don't know each other, I should add that my sharpening skill level is about average for most users, butI have no where near the ability of many (most) of the people on this forum or folks like Murray Carter, Ben Dale, Bob Dozier or the like. Aside from re profiling a primary grind (where I do use heavy pressure, but it is spread across the whole blade and the edge isn't touching at that point), I don't spend more than 10 minutes fully sharpening a knife and often much less to touch up the edge.

Also, I rarely go finer than 600-1200 grit as I don't really need a polished edge for my knife work, which is only kitchen and light utility tasks.

*with some exceptions, for example I wrote "the loss in acuteness is somewhat compensated by lowering the frictional co-efficient" and looking back I have no idea what I meant by that. Sounds like a bunch of babble... So either I was smarter then or full of hot air. Maybe both.
these ones

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
September 08, 2014 12:30AM
The ceramic and diamond hones are from Ikea, both are on the course side. The diamond is courser than the xxc DMT, but is now worn on one side to about DMT course. The grooved butcher steel is Wusthoff.
Re: Washboard - HeavyHanded [Closed, lack of interest]
February 15, 2015 01:55AM
Writeup : [www.cliffstamp.com]

It is unfortunate that the maker of this system had the reaction noted. It is fairly clear to me in the above :

-he severely criticizes other systems, much of which is unfounded and misrepresentative
-he sets extreme requirements on any data which would criticize his system, but accepts any praise freely
-jumps immediately to personal attacks, makes an argument about fraud / intentional bais
-keeps making more and more restricted claims about what needs to be done to show the "real" performance

All of this in spite of being clearly asked before any of this started as to exactly what he was claiming and simple experiments which would demonstrate it. He also isn't able to understand even basic concepts of sharpening and misunderstandings basic concepts such as pressure vs force and is completely unable to grasp that when using the sharpener on the full blade grind, the pressure will be similar, even if the force is very high, compared to a much lower force used on a much more narrow edge bevel, i.e. P = F/A .