Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fiskars X7: Benchmark Chopper Comparisons

Posted by Chum 
Fiskars X7: Benchmark Chopper Comparisons
March 24, 2013 05:46PM
Cliff has been using his Fiskars Hatchet (a precursor to the X7, and modified by him to be similar to the X7) for some time now as a benchmark chopper. Kyley of cKc knives just purchased a Fiskars X7 as a benchmark chopper, and it sounds like Gavkoo has ordered one as well. The more that people can see real users and makers comparing their choppers to a specific benchmark, the more that people can get a real sense of a blade's chopping performance.

Why use a benchmark chopper? The most obvious reason is that no two pieces of wood are alike. You can watch countless YT videos of people chopping various tree limbs, 2X4s, bamboo, flooring panels, old logs, fresh wood, drift wood, old doors etc. All of the wood being chopped in these videos is different. So, when you watch them you can't truly understand how well the axe/knife is performing... you have nothing similar to compare it to. Even newly purchased 2x4s can behave differently as chopping mediums.

Fiskars Hatchets/Axes diagram:

It isn't practical to ask people demoing their choppers to use some sort of expensive, yet consistent, man-made material as a chopping medium. However, it isn't unreasonable to ask someone doing a chopping demo to purchase an inexpensive Fiskars X7 Hatchet as comparison chopper.

Why the Fiskars X7? It is relatively "cheap," it can be purchased nearly everywhere, and it is very well designed.

Fiskars X7
Weight- 22.6 ounces (640.7 grams) without plastic sheath
Head Weight- 20.5 ounces (581.2 grams)
Dimensions: 16.5 x 5.8 x 1.4 inches
Handle Length- 14 inches
Made in Finland
Costs around $25.00 in the U.S.
*** Dimensions taken from the internets. May be off drinking smiley

I would like to start this thread as a library of videos showing the Fiskars X7 being used as a benchmark chopper. This can be useful to both newbies, trying to get a sense of what they are seeing on YT, and knifemakers trying to get a sense of their blades chopping ability. So, if you make a YT video using the Fiskars X7 as benchmark, or if you find a YT video where the Fiskars X7 is being used as a benchmark, please post it here. Thanks!

I love my Fiskars X7!

Let the videos commence!!!

At about 1:00 Cliff explains the use of the Fiskars as a benchmark...

Kyley gives his initial impressions of the Fiskars X7...

Cliff's video's using the Fiskars as a benchmark...

Re: Fiskars X7: Benchmark Chopper Comparisons
March 24, 2013 05:59PM
Okay, Chum... you've convinced me smiling smiley
I'll pick one up later in the week...
March 24, 2013 06:28PM
ThomasJamesBass
Okay, Chum... you've convinced me smiling smiley
I'll pick one up later in the week...

Excellent! You won't be disappointed. If it doesn't measure up to your other choppers it makes a nice little car/truck hatchet. It's very un-weapon like, and I doubt the cops would give it much thought.

If you don't like the orange handle (I like it quite a bit) I believe the Gerber Sport Axe 2 is the same axe...

March 24, 2013 07:36PM
i too ordered one of these for the benchmark chopping tool smiling smiley
March 24, 2013 08:10PM
Very good compilation of videos to prove your point, Chum. I have that same hatchet and his bigger brother, the Fiskars X15. I have used both of them, and I like them. I have used them to break down dead and dried trees, and they have worked pretty good for that. The X15 has a lot of power, I took down a 6" diameter tree with it, in not much time, This Fiskar line is pretty cheap, too; both can be had for 50$-60$ together.
March 24, 2013 09:47PM
gavko
i too ordered one of these for the benchmark chopping tool smiling smiley

And I can't wait to post some of your comparison videos here Gav smileys with beer
March 24, 2013 09:51PM
Price_is_Right
Very good compilation of videos to prove your point, Chum. I have that same hatchet and his bigger brother, the Fiskars X15. I have used both of them, and I like them. I have used them to break down dead and dried trees, and they have worked pretty good for that. The X15 has a lot of power, I took down a 6" diameter tree with it, in not much time, This Fiskar line is pretty cheap, too; both can be had for 50$-60$ together.

Nice Price. Next for me is X27 splitting axe. I've been really impressed with what I've seen of it. It'll be nice to use a lighter splitter for a change. I've actually been using my Aranyik E-toh for splitting lately, just because it is so light.
March 27, 2013 02:13AM
I own its X10 bigger brother and before that I had the "original" Fiskars hatchet, from before they were given names... and quite frankly, I don't like them much. I've never been very comfortable with axes in general, and these ones aren't an exception. I have to say I'm lazy, and I've found a good billhook is more versatile, safer and more efficient at chopping small section, while a decent saw does better for large diameters. I don't doubt Fiskars hatchets are quite a good benchmark as they're now commonly available and of constant quality (I believe), but as a tool... well, I'm not fond of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 02:15AM by Madnumforce.
March 27, 2013 03:18AM
Mad, I'm also not sure how the price stacks up in Europe. Last night I saw an interesting video of a Fiskars and Bacho comparison. while in the US the price difference is around $20, in Bulgaria it was 1.50 Euros
April 07, 2013 01:51PM
So this is an interesting vid that i came across, something in a Noss stile smiling bouncing smiley

Interesting to see how the head actually looks like
April 07, 2013 09:36PM
I was looking at the 23" 7857 today, they wanted $40 bucks for it at OSH. I figured I could find a better deal online. Have a tree I might cut down soooooon.
May 18, 2013 10:06AM
Dan Keffeler is onboard thumbs upthumbs up

June 01, 2013 04:09AM
June 01, 2013 06:31PM
Good idea to use the X7 as a benchmark, but when people have a bias, it just won't work. It seems to me the guy in the video deliberately chop the wood perpendicular to the fiber with the X7, while he correctly makes a V notch with the tomahawk. He definately wants toprove his point in favor of the tomahawk. Also, though I'm not a very experimented axe user, his technique with the Fiskars is obviously off: instead of leaving the head weight and speed do the work, he pushes with the hand. About the "splitting", he starts the job with the X7 and finishes it with the tomahawk, and concludes the tomahawk is better. But the good thing is his bias is completly obvious.
June 01, 2013 06:39PM
He also uses a two handed tomahawk handle vs the smallest and one handed Fiskars, but yes the technique issues are obvious.
June 02, 2013 12:36AM
Regarding the Fiskars axe, there's actually a pHd thesis regarding production.
I must say I have barely skimmed it so far but I'm pretty sure you guys will be interested:
[publications.theseus.fi]
June 02, 2013 07:17AM
Mad and Cliff, do you think it is still worthwhile to post videos like the Coldsteel Pipe Hawk vs fiskars x7 here? I do, as it opens up a discussion of technique, as it did here.

Bubo... I just scanned through that thesis but I find it interesting to see how they are made. I've only started buying Fiskars products in the last two or three years but I've been impressed with all of them so far. I'm even considering buying one of their StaySharp push mowers in favor of of my gas mower.
June 02, 2013 09:05AM
Yes, information is always good, the discussion itself is usually worth while. It is just an example of the strength/weakness of the way information is spread on the internet as there is no filter/review so you are forced to do this yourself.
June 23, 2013 10:17AM
I had thought I had already posted this one. Not sure how I missed it. Perhaps, too many wood chips to the forehead.

June 23, 2013 10:40AM
June 23, 2013 10:47AM
Cliff, is your Fiskars the model 600?

June 23, 2013 11:51AM
It is (or was) the 14" Sport Hatchet, they don't make that model any more. It is similar, but not identical to the newer smallest model number. Just compare this to the new one :

-weighs 525 g
-has a 14" Nyglass® handle, a fiberglass reinforced composite
-forged carbon steel head
-head is (41-45 HRC), edge is (50-56 HRC)
-the bit is 2 3/4" wide
-primary grind 0.622" wide and ground at 8.0 (5) degrees per side
-the main edge bevel is 0.1" thick at 14.5 (5) degrees per side
-20.5 (5) degree secondary bevel 0.025" thick
June 23, 2013 12:02PM
The exact same weight as the one in the comparison video I just posted. It is difficult to tell from the numbers but I would guess your Sport Hatchet is the Model 600.
June 23, 2013 09:00PM
Can you throw it?
June 23, 2013 09:42PM
Old Spice
Can you throw it?

Of course. I don't like to though. The handles get's ripped up very easily, and it can be difficult to stick.
July 01, 2013 07:23PM
Nice job Gav thumbs upthumbs up

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
July 23, 2013 10:08AM

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
July 27, 2013 05:30AM
The x7 is on sale this week at Canadian tire. 20%off
October 17, 2013 07:19PM
now this puppy looks interesting. i ordered one because its definitely an interesting concept. and coming from zippo its double the interest lol. lighter company coming up with pretty good looking interesting wood processing multitool...
[www.zippo.com]
October 17, 2013 07:22PM
gavko
now this puppy looks interesting. i ordered one because its definitely an interesting concept. and coming from zippo its double the interest lol. lighter company coming up with pretty good looking interesting wood processing multitool...
[www.zippo.com]

I saw one of these somewhere else...very interested to see what you think of it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login