-Gavko EDC, S125V, 63 HRC, Peters
-Air, CPM M4, 62-64 HRC, Spyderco

The Air was quite blunt :

-destress the edge
-reform the edge on a 1k waterstone (king), 225 pps
-cuts well
-refine on a 3k waterstone, henckels, 50 pps
-stone feels very slippery, does not cut well at all

Here is where it became interesting, the 8k stone would not cut the Air at all previously :

That is one very light spray but it changes how the stone acts :

Now to be very clear, an 8k stone is between 1-3 microns (the stones are not well graded and some standards use JIS some use mesh no one really says what unless you get high grade stones) and since the abrasive breaks down in use the cutting action is even slower. A knife also has to be sharp before you can take it to these stones so it should be cutting newsprint easily.

After 50 pps (this has a wide edge bevel, 1/4" and I was working the entire bevel) the stone was definitely cutting and a quick check and the edge would do all kinds of silly things :

-shave hair above the skin
-push cut newsprint well beyond 2" from the point of hold

I was also doing this not at all seriously I was watching the IMAX version of T2 because a friend of mine gave it to me as a joke-gift when I made a disparaging comment about lack of acting in female leads.

I then used Mike's knife, same thing, and very quickly the knife was similar, but slightly reduced :

-push cut newsprint well beyond 1" from the point of hold

But I would not expect it to respond as fast because :

-I had been using the edge and did not reset it
-it has a much lower grindability

Still it was pretty trivial and this is a decent level of sharpness.

Now there is an alternative, that this is just bais/placebo and I would want to do more checks to verify. The edge certainly looks very different than an 8k stone :

This could be though the result of leaving coarse scratches from previous finishes (that is the Air) as I went though them very fast. Next time I will take shots through each stage.

However at a minimum I will conclude that it is interesting enough to give a further look.
Re: Ken Schwartz : honing compounds
July 03, 2013 06:36AM
Cliff, I'm confused what grits did you get? Maybe it's the way I'm reading it but, I don't understand.
July 03, 2013 07:17AM
I should have clarified, they are labeled :

-3-5 micron, polycrystaline diamond
-1-3 micron, cubic boron nitride
-0-2 micron, cubic boron nitride

These are ranges, 3-5 is 3 to 5 microns. They are listed on the site as the median/mean values :

-4 micron, polycrystaline diamond
-2 micron, cubic boron nitride
-1 micron, cubic boron nitride
July 03, 2013 07:36AM
Thanks cliff I understand now.
JBN
August 05, 2013 03:04AM
So you made a artificial slurry stone by adding loose abrasive particles. Logically that the scratches are bigger than with an 8K stone alone.
The same effect can be watched with the Coticule stone. With slurry it cuts really well but coarser, with less or no slurry it is very fine.

Any updates on this system?
cKc
August 05, 2013 04:08AM
Final Update: he tipped them all into the garden.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
August 05, 2013 04:55AM
JBN
So you made a artificial slurry stone by adding loose abrasive particles. Logically that the scratches are bigger than with an 8K stone alone.

The loose abrasive is finer than the rating of the stone so it in't obvious that the scratch pattern has to be more coarse.

The same effect can be watched with the Coticule stone. With slurry it cuts really well but coarser, with less or no slurry it is very fine.

No. The main point was that stone would not cut those knives without the abrasive added.

Any updates on this system?

I discarded all of those abrasives after the supplier started censoring comments / blocking individuals on a YT video.

I will be looking at the same effect with abrasives from other suppliers shortly.
August 05, 2013 05:33AM
cKc
Final Update: he tipped them all into the garden.

Lets run and go strop on Cliffs grass!
August 05, 2013 07:32AM
Cliff where did you source the new sprays? I was just going to order some when the incident took place and decided not to. But I have not found another source ( mostly because I have not really tried). Also did ken ever contact you? After the video you made.
August 05, 2013 08:12AM
Mark,

I have been talking to a bunch of different people, note that hunterseeker (who posts here) also sells them.

No, I have not heard from Ken but didn't expect to. In general you don't make a decision like that and be open to discussing it, that is a way of thinking/acting, not a one time deal.
August 07, 2013 06:04AM
CliffStamp
Mark,

I have been talking to a bunch of different people, note that hunterseeker (who posts here) also sells them.

No, I have not heard from Ken but didn't expect to. In general you don't make a decision like that and be open to discussing it, that is a way of thinking/acting, not a one time deal.

Thanks, I will ask him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login