Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calton 5" Utility Review

Posted by chad234 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Calton 5" Utility Review
February 29, 2016 11:17PM
I blanked out this morning, forgot to bring the two kitchen knives to work for measurements. Tomorrow.

Yeah Second Crack, I use the concrete slab outside of my garage to flatten, along with some of that garnet grit I got from work. About the neighbor's house though, have I ever mentioned anything about my neighbor? I don't think I remember mentioning her, but I totally don't like my neighbor, your suggestion made me laugh.
March 01, 2016 02:30AM
Awesome write up Ryan!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
March 01, 2016 02:34AM
Excellent write up and neat knife.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
March 01, 2016 03:38AM
Ryan,

wow! thanks for the write up and the feedback. ill try to give you some things about the knife that I remember and some thougths on your thoughts.

the handle: if I remember right, somewhere around the time that I made that knife, I decided that I did not like highly finished handles, and decided that I really like a 220-400 grit finish on handles and rarely go finer than that now. I feel that 220-400 grit is fine enough for a fairly good looking finish, but still gives a bit of grip. and seeing as how I make using knives, that is the range of finish that I feel gives the best use. my personal hunting knife for the last 4 seasons I think has a 2000 grit finish on the handle, and I really don't like it. when my hands get bloody or greasy from dressing an animal out {this years mule deer was incredibly fat, and my hands were so slick that I couldn't hold on to the horns to drag him to the road} I either let the blood dry for a few minutes till it gets tacky, or if the dressing is done, rub some dirt on my hands to get some grip. I also notice that I don't really care for fancy handle shapes with lots of contouring. I find lots of contouring distracting, and it might be more comfortable in one grip, but at the expense of other grips.

the blade shape is actually mostly a copy of my wifes favorite kitchen utility knife, with just a bit more belly in the front 3rd of the blade.

the sheath. I listed and sold this knife, and still do so as a kitchen knife. this was also right before the time that I started keeping track of edge measurements with a micrometer. in fact this knife may have been the reason that I started keeping a mic handy when grinding knives. when you go from grinding choppers one day, then kitchen knives the next, my eyes would lie to me, and what looked thin might not have been. but anyhow, since it was sold as a kitchen knife, and most folks don't carry kitchen knives on their belts, I didn't include a belt loop, as the sheath is more to protect the edge when the knife is thrown into a drawer, or carried to another kitchen.

one nice thing that this knife has pointed out to me is how handy a thicker ground kitchen knife is even when taken out of the kitchen. heck, ive had a few folks that either could not or would not afford one of my knives that wanted a good outdoor utility knife. and I have suggested the old hickory brand, especially the older ones, as I have a few of those and have not worked with a newer one.
March 01, 2016 09:12PM
Thanks guys, it has been interesting to work with. Yeah Joe, isn't this one of the knives (along with Chad's review of course) that alerted you of Towards 0.1?
March 01, 2016 11:37PM
Yeah I was joking Ryan, pretty funny that you really do have a lousy neighbor, I would say the vast majority either have one or have had one.

For SiC stones the concrete and pressure is useful because it can do the bulk grinding of flattening the stone by attacking the binder as the weak link, the SiC is harder than AlO (garnet for example) and can wear it out before it gets a chance to do much. Concrete wears faster, but theres a lot more of it to wear and it's cheaper.
March 03, 2016 01:52AM
Ryan, very nice review. Please keep the knife though, it seems to have found a good home.
March 03, 2016 04:08AM
ryan, yep this knife, and chad were the ones that introduced me to this forum :}
March 03, 2016 03:55PM
chad234
Ryan, very nice review. Please keep the knife though, it seems to have found a good home.

Wait, really? You sure Chad?
March 03, 2016 03:57PM
Chad is, as they say in Missouri, very good people

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
March 03, 2016 09:36PM
Nice gift!

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
March 03, 2016 09:42PM
Thanks Chad, I really appreciate it. If I end up doing anything out of the ordinary with it I'll let you guys know what happens
March 04, 2016 01:20AM
Actually Ryan, you're doing me a favor- if another knife was seen arriving at my home in the mail, it may be used to castrate me. At the very least, I'd be sleeping in the guest room for a month. My wife thinks I have a problem.... But I can stop anytime.
March 04, 2016 11:55AM
Ha, alright Chad, fair enough. I'll help keep you safe.
March 04, 2016 01:10PM
That was a very nice thing to do Chad. Ryan keep her safe.

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD