Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steel selection - high wear on soft material

Posted by razoredgeknives 
Steel selection - high wear on soft material
December 15, 2015 05:55PM
Hey guys. I am imagining that a high carbide CPM steel would be good for this application but wanted to check w/ you guys.

So I'm looking at making some scissor blades for a glue factory -chisel ground primary and secondary. OAL is about 8", cutting part of the blade is about 6" and around .187" thick. These are used in a glue factory to cut wet glue as it comes out of the machine, about 3" diameter.

They picked up some s30v wanting to try it but I'm not sure if this is the best choice or not. Any input is appreciated. Cost of the steel is a factor and I will be sending it to Peters for HT.
Re: Steel selection - high wear on soft material
December 15, 2015 06:26PM
What are they using now and what is the mode of failure?
December 15, 2015 06:34PM
CliffStamp
What are they using now and what is the mode of failure?

Good questions... let me check into it and get back, this is through my friend's sharpening account w/ them hehe.

I don't think the largest concern is the blade snapping as much as when it does (after a lot of use) the replacement ones cost about $600 for a set because it's proprietary. They have one hole in them and the chisel grind - very very simple to make. So I am looking to fill a void in the market if possible and do it for 1/3rd the price or so w/ as good as or better material/HT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 06:35PM by razoredgeknives.
December 15, 2015 07:19PM
Cliff,

what broke the blade was operator error. When they change the blades out they put plastic sleeves on the new ones so they won't get cut installing them. They then forget, once in a while, to remove the sleeves prior to turning on the machine and it snaps the blades. It is not the glue that snaps them.

Not sure on the steel they are using currently or hardness but I will try to find that out.
December 15, 2015 07:58PM
To clarify, by fail I don't mean in the gross sense as in broke, just when they had to be replaced why was it.

-wear
-deformation
-corrosion

etc. .
December 16, 2015 09:46AM
CliffStamp
To clarify, by fail I don't mean in the gross sense as in broke, just when they had to be replaced why was it.

-wear
-deformation
-corrosion

etc. .

Cliff, it's through wear.

A couple other points... I will need to probably surface grind these to make sure the back is flat, so the steel selection will need to be magnetic. I will probably grind in the primary after ht because I will need the bar stock flat for the surface grinding of the inside area of the shear blades - and they can warp during ht from what I've read. I will be putting a bow/curve into the blades post ht anyway though (the same as you see in general house-hold scissors). It's more twist warping I'm concerned about.
me2
December 16, 2015 11:08AM
Keep us updated on this. Is it a local outfit?
December 16, 2015 12:46PM
me2
Keep us updated on this. Is it a local outfit?

Yes but they have other factories. We will see how it goes.
December 21, 2015 08:36AM
So I'm needing a magnetic stainless if possible... Probably high carbide since this blade fails through wear and not fracture or deformation (only cutting wet glue freshly manufactured). Any input? Something like cts-20cp would be pricey but good I'm thinking.
me2
December 21, 2015 03:35PM
Does it need to be stainless? Nearly all hard anable stainless is magnetic.
December 21, 2015 07:30PM
me2
Does it need to be stainless? Nearly all hard anable stainless is magnetic.

I guess not, I was just thinking it would be more "maintenance free" if it was. But if this does not exist then we can go w/ a non-stainless. Price is a factor as well, so maybe just something like 1095?
me2
December 21, 2015 08:40PM
As much as I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to agree with Cliff and say D2 is a good starting point. If it's adhesive wear, a good mixture of different types of carbides would likely help, but I think we're splitting hairs to take it that far at this point.
December 22, 2015 02:31PM
me2
As much as I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to agree with Cliff and say D2 is a good starting point. If it's adhesive wear, a good mixture of different types of carbides would likely help, but I think we're splitting hairs to take it that far at this point.

Thanks so much Chris! I think I will go w/ your recommendation, at least for the first 30 blades or so, high rockwell probably.

I priced it and it looks like D2 will be $4/blade whereas something like s90v is $12/blade.
January 12, 2016 11:35AM
ok I think I'm going to go w/ cts-xhp since it's basically the stainless version of d2, and when the blades are cutting the glue they are flooded w/ water. Don't want to have corrosion issues!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login