Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kodiak : in the kitchen

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Kodiak : in the kitchen
September 30, 2012 09:09PM
When I get a new knife I try to use it as much for EDC as possible :

No issues taking apart the chicken, a little extreme of a blade but no problems. As long as the edge is sharp it cuts meat/skin very well .

The long gentle curve of the edge actually makes the bone cutting very easy. I was a bit sloppy on the joint cuts intentionally and the very long blade allows a pretty unique grip. Use your right hand on the handle and press down near the tip and just rock the blade right through the joints. I also cleaved up the carcass for the cats in the same manner, you can see it chunked off to the side.

No problems slicing up onions and other soft materials, again this is all about sharpness as onions are not that stiff, similar with peppers and similar vegetables.

On potatoes the edge thickness and angle are significantly heavier than a chef's knife and the blade stock much thicker and the small potatoes tended to crack apart using the same rocking technique.

The only real issue I had was this is a very long blade and just moving it around needs a lot of space I would not want to be using it in the kitchen when there were a bunch of people floating around.

to finish up :

Again, mainly a size issue, try using this blade and realize just how much room you need to do any cutting with the double length handle and foot and a half blade.
Re: Kodiak : in the kitchen
October 02, 2012 12:08AM
I was watching some video's of some Japanese guys cutting up fish with huge knives so I decided to be a little silly. As it turns out the biggest issue was not slamming the knife into someone or something in the kitchen. Just imagine turning around from the counter and washing off the blade in the sink. It doesn't fit in the sink and just turning around in the kitchen with it pretty much covers the entire kitchen from side to side.

I did find a pretty unique way to use the knife using a two handed grip, one on the handle and one on the tip, which was kind of amusing use and allows very easy cuts right through the joints without high precision to make it a soft tissue only cut. Of course there was a bit too much meat left on parts of the carcass and doing precise tip work is a bit awkward but it is nothing serious and pretty amusing, especially when you are peeling apples and such.
October 04, 2012 02:03AM
Playing with a turkey :

October 04, 2012 02:30AM
That's impressive, so there were no not-able issues that you found? ( Aside from nearly cleaving your cutting board in two! )
October 04, 2012 02:35AM
If I had to do this seriously I would use an actual chopping block suitable for a cleaver so I could chop with it. If I actually chopped into this I would go through the board. It is a bit long is all and a bit awkward, really liked the grip though, very secure.