Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I thought forcing a patina was fairly silly

Posted by CliffStamp 
Re: I thought forcing a patina was fairly silly
April 06, 2014 02:34PM
I am restoring a Belgium BP .36 calibre revolver for a friend...missing the bullet seating rod, and rusted to the end of time...
It is NON-fireable, so I am using mild steel for the missing bits, and I will "distress" it to match the rest...

I have rust distressed my knives for historical re-inactments, but that is about it when I want to age something...
May 08, 2014 12:46PM
I recently used Birchwood Casey liquid gun blue on a forged carbon knife that I use for deer, but I did this as a purely practical refinement, not because I cant get it to patina. Some of the oxidation actually still shows through the bluing.
May 23, 2014 02:59PM
CliffStamp
But this lets your inner weeaboo shine

I'm pretty sure that weeaboo is a term for the more extreme anime fans who over imprint on what they imagine is Japanese culture.

I wasn't sure what the equivalent for Star Wars fan is (I suspect that I'm a Do Not Contact list for them after some especially pointed remarks) but google suggested that "Fandalorian" might be appropriate in this case.
May 23, 2014 04:55PM
Yes, I am just using it for the same general behavior on other aspects.
DK
September 03, 2014 07:56PM
actually if you watch the whole video, he talks about how all his gear has earned it's rugged look naturally. i personally like the look myself but, i would rather the gear earned it's "boba fett" look by using it as it was designed to. i have forced patinas as i like the look and as well as it serves the purpose of preventing rust. i would highly suggest that you all give a read into patrick mcmanus books such as the night the bear ate goombaw and a fine and pleasant misery. the stories recount patrick mcmanus' childhood, growing up in a small hick town and visiting a pawn shop where the owner caught onto the little boys fascination with war surplus gear with bullet holes in it, so he schemes up a way of "boba fetting" gear by driving a spike into it and passes it off as though it went through real battles in order to sell it to the young boys. there are several stories that reflect on times when they were duped by the crafty pawnshop owner.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
September 03, 2014 11:35PM
Actually I guess I could be accused of Boba Fetting my Kershaw 1 ton. I was curious to just how strainless the 8cr13MoV really is. So I took a cheap cold bluing pen and did one side of the knife blade. Stainless steel as far as I know at least true stainless can not be blued. So guess what, it did not blue, it rusted. The coating is a very orange brown layer of rust. It kinda looks cool but I will eventually take it back to original bead blast.
September 05, 2014 12:48AM
I'm guilty of both "boba fetting" and forcing a patina. For me, forcing a patina is a fun thing to do. It has pracitical benefits and if you force it you have greater control over what it will look like, while also resulting in a personalised knife. Over time, the forced patina will shift and change dramatically with use regardless, so I see it as just being a base layer which sort of speeds up the process. As for boba fetting, I've only done it on 2 knives and both were gifts for friends who weren't really ever going to use them. They wanted a worn out, hard working look to the blades to make them better display pieces, so some steel wool, sandpaper and a rock sorted that out pretty quickly. Mind you, this was back when I was 17 and the thought that this might become a trend nowadays is a tad unsettling.
Forced patinas can go horribly wrong though! I remember the early zombie tools blades had a very interesting blood splash finish, though I believe many referred to them as "jizzblades".
September 15, 2014 06:30PM
I offer acid etching/stone washing as part of my services to people because:

1. customers like it and
2. customers are willing to pay to have it done

that being said, I do actually like the look. I think it is mostly asthetic (much in the same way that mirror finishing a blade, hand rubbing a blade, or painting a blade is) but I think it does offer some tangible benefit in that it protects it from rust and "scratching" in a sense (i.e. you will not really see new scratches as much). I don't know about it breaking down the steel because i'm not a chemist. It would make sense to me that the outer layer that is oxidized would be weaker, but I think if you destressed the edge and put a new edge on it it would retain it's sharpness just as well.

so no, I haven't done acid etching/stonewashing to any of my knives, however, I would not be opposed to it if I had a candidate for it. As far as bobba fetting I agree w/ the guy who did the video, I like it to get worn naturally (otherwise I feel like a fraud lol).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login