Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife, axe, etc. - failures

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Knife, axe, etc. - failures
December 07, 2017 04:35PM
Does anyone have contact for the original owner as that story seems off. That blade is too thick to snap like that cutting into ice unless the guy using it just finished competing in the WSM and just started a new cycle and was peaking.
December 07, 2017 06:54PM
Cliff, he wasn't cutting into ice, he fell with it open. At least that's how I read it.
December 07, 2017 07:55PM
Cliff: asked the guy who posted it on IG, he said he’d try and find the link on Facebook

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
February 17, 2018 08:17PM
Junglas II failure:

[www.instagram.com]

-Nate
RFL
June 10, 2018 09:51PM
video: [www.youtube.com]

SOG Jungle Canopy breaks while batoning at 12:30. The 8cr13mov blade (Rc 56-58) was struck on the gimping area while the front half of the blade was embedded in a small log.
June 13, 2018 02:01AM
ZT lock failures:
[youtu.be]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
June 13, 2018 02:08AM
Jason: They are still having those issues?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 13, 2018 03:12PM
Bill,

I guess. That video is 2 days old, not sure how old the knives are. It is a problem KAI/Kershaw has had period. Not sure the cause. My Kershaw knives have been fine.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
June 13, 2018 11:09PM
one of the causes is a slight vertical blade play find my comment under the vid on stop pins..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
July 14, 2018 11:21AM
[www.bladeforums.com]

Some apparent issues with large machetes out of Nitro V. A couple broke, and the cause was identified as a problem with the heat treat that leads to nitrogen inclusions.

A few thoughts:
1. Really class move by the maker to do the recall even on the ones that didn't fail. I've dealt with him a number of times, and he's been a really great guy, but this is a really nice move.
2. Interesting how the AEBL heat treat led to the failures in this nitrogenized version. I'd be curious to hear Cliff or Larrin's take on the issue as described.
3. I believe Cliff has said it a few times, or least something similar, but it just goes to show you can't just throw alloy into a steel and expect performance w/o proper adjustment.
4. Something else I now can't remember....lost my train of thought.
5. Perhaps there's some sort of commentary to be taken here about sending out for heat treat. I know Peter's is respected, and I've met Brad Stallsmith, and he's a great guy, but I guess I just mean, there's often the assumption Peter's is some sort of panacea that guarantees perfection. Maybe not the right way to approach their services (although I guess that should go w/o saying).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 11:24AM by C Amber.
July 14, 2018 12:36PM
I know that a lot of makers are using Nitro V, however,I refuse to use it until I can find some actual material data on it. All I have been able to find in regards to heat treatment is to treat it like AEB-L and you should be fine (not quoting any particular source here).
July 14, 2018 01:55PM
That's pretty much what I always see Jeremy, and it didn't seem ideal to me. Last I looked I thought it was me similar to 14c28n, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 14, 2018 08:40PM
Well, I would like to know, how did they found out about nitrogen inclusions
and that they formed during the ht.

For a steel with 0,11N and 0,08V as stated at NJSB web..
If the alloy can precipitate huge for toughness detrimental nitride
out of this little alloy it would have to be very non uniformly distributed.
That would mean that something very wrong was done
during the steel manufacturing.

It is unlikely they tempered at 420C and above.. that precipitate very fine nitrides anyway..
It is unlikely they quenched too slow to get nitrides..

Or if the real reason was really nitrogen inclusion I think that the chem contnent
of that particular piece of metal must be quite different from what is stated on the web..

EDIT:

Actually Its hard to believe there would be N inclusion and not Carbide
as Carbon is much more likely to precipitate anything there
as there is much more of C than N..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 08:56PM by JSCT.
July 15, 2018 12:44PM
This kind of failures or to me weird/new causes of failures always resonate long in my head..

Carbon is also more reactive than N towards common elements used in steels like
Cr, Mo, W, Nb, V, Ti, Zr, etc..

f.e. rwl34 and nitrobe77 are almost same alloy both PM except
one is 1.05 wt%C and in another most C is substituted by N:
only 0.1 wt%C and 0.9 wt%N

Result is that nitrobe only has cca 60% of the precipitates volume of rwl34..
I use nitrobe regularly and the edge is a bit better at edge stability..
Didnt find any drawback for that alloy so far..

I dont understand how would such small addition of N be detrimental
for steel toughness.. Must be something else.. I would rather believe
steel wasnt same chem or mistake happened during the ht or steel production..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 12:47PM by JSCT.
July 15, 2018 02:54PM
nitro-v is very similar to sandvik 14C28N, but when i point that out everyone seems not to hear and goes looking for some special HT.
Alpha Knife Supply carried 14C28N for several years, but last fall sold all they had a reduced prices and has not stocked it since. no reason was given. i wonder if stainless of this type is not suited for applications like a machete where one usually sees 5160 or maybe 1075.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
July 15, 2018 10:23PM
oldsailorsknives
nitro-v is very similar to sandvik 14C28N, but when i point that out everyone seems not to hear and goes looking for some special HT.

Difference between the austenitizing temperature I use for rwl34 and aebl
for the same application is 5Celsius and temper them the same after.
If one use same for nitrov must be ok as well..

oldsailorsknives
Alpha Knife Supply carried 14C28N for several years, but last fall sold all they had a reduced prices and has not stocked it since. no reason was given. i wonder if stainless of this type is not suited for applications like a machete where one usually sees 5160 or maybe 1075.

AAAH thats why you suspected that NJSB was rebranding 14C28N "winking smiley
And makes sense to me too.. There would have to be something
quite bad with that batch of steel.. But I dont believe sandvik
would let out something like that..

I believe Gavko made some excalibur choppers in AEB-L years ago..

July 16, 2018 01:44PM
i dont think NJSB rebranded anything. I know AKS is a low volume seller, responsive to buyers. either there were complaints about 14c28n or it wasn't selling. if you go to the Sandvik site, they are pushing 14C28N, even offering samples.
don't understand why folks never look for equivalent steels when doing HT of a new steel or why NJSB would sell a unknown steel without some basic HT ideas.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
July 16, 2018 09:30PM
oldsailorsknives
i dont think NJSB rebranded anything. I know AKS is a low volume seller, responsive to buyers. either there were complaints about 14c28n or it wasn't selling. if you go to the Sandvik site, they are pushing 14C28N, even offering samples.
don't understand why folks never look for equivalent steels when doing HT of a new steel or why NJSB would sell a unknown steel without some basic HT ideas.

Ah ok then I ve said a conspiracy.. smiling smiley

August 28, 2018 07:07AM
August 28, 2018 08:38AM
bk knife are not designed to be a thrower but i think outdoor knife could stand the throwing forces , and broke tip and chip edge are reaonable for throwing games .but broke in half , that is a catastrophe accident to the knife , and make this knife entirly useless. it is abnormal to the outdoor knives.

if you examine pics in that thread , the knife broke in half and there is no sign of ductile ,and the fracture surface are not clean , there are rust spot of internal damages .
August 28, 2018 10:38AM
video: [www.youtube.com]

Failure on a Varms Leuku in 1095 at 63RC
August 28, 2018 02:18PM
Wow....that was disappointing....looked like a decent knife.

March 16, 2019 06:19PM
This is a regrind that I was using on sod...
[imgur.com]

This is a D2 kitchen knife I made from a slitter blade. Heavy corrosion in the tang. It may have been cracked before I made the knife.

[imgur.com]

[imgur.com]
July 10, 2020 10:04AM
Maxamet Manix 2 failure:

[www.bladeforums.com]

-Nate
me2
July 13, 2020 05:55PM
Are not all the steels reference in the bfc thread basically in the same category for toughness, ie really low?
July 13, 2020 08:00PM
Not sure what thread you mean, the Manix 2 commentary is, well BF, level :

"If I was going to use a knife to score drywall, I'd use a different steel from my Spyderco collection."

I can't think on a lighter task for a knife than scoring drywall, you can just scratching it so it breaks, you are not cutting through it. It is hard to tell what happens there, but if I was guessing it would be carbide aggregation around those sharp edges.
July 13, 2020 08:46PM
Exactly what I thought, scoring drywall is essential scoring paper and gypsum which has a hardness of 2 on the Mohs scale. It is a pathetic to think that any steel would not be durable enough for such a task.
cKc
July 14, 2020 11:33AM
Old Spice
Exactly what I thought, scoring drywall is essential scoring paper and gypsum which has a hardness of 2 on the Mohs scale. It is a pathetic to think that any steel would not be durable enough for such a task.

only thing I can thick of is using a knife to cut the hole for an electric board or something and still don't know how it would break like that

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
July 18, 2020 12:55AM
That was a spectacular failure, I'd be interested to hear what Spyderco had to say about it.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

December 10, 2020 01:01AM
Spyderco Respect failed during batoning, stress riser? (Near bottom of page)

[forum.spyderco.com]

-Nate