Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A little personal commentary

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A little personal commentary
August 15, 2012 04:38PM
A friend sent me this recently as it turned up on a search of my name as some people often do : [www.bladeforums.com]. Note the

-unsupported rumors and out right lies (I extort custom knife makers for free knives)

-personal rants/insults

All of which is allowed, no concerns.

Yes this is the post I was banned for : [www.bladeforums.com] .

Originally Posted by noss4

Anyways maybe it is brittle maybe it is not.

This is where Bladeforums shows how far it has degraded since Turber left. Debating if D2 is brittle is like debating if L6 has low corrosion resistance or if carbides weaken the tensile strength of steel, anywhere else these are just measured facts.

Originally Posted by Tom Krein
If you drop the RC hardness, make them with thicker edge geometry you can easily make a D-2 knife that will work well as a big chopper.
Have you used it extensively for several months for such role, I ask because I know if you do that for work on real woods out doors there is no way you would have this opinion. Large blades do not blunt by wear, they blunt by deformation and fracture. It simply takes far too long to wear even medium carbon steel chopping woods.

Having a lot of carbides weakens the edge means it will roll quicker and makes it more brittle so it will take fracture under less impact. Thus it takes more damage, lower edge retention, and the low grindability means it takes more work to sharpen. It really is one of the worst choices for such knives.

I think D-2 is BEST at a Rockwell hardness of 61 and ground nice and thin ...

Have you tried it harder? You can reach 63 or so with oil+ cryo. It you are not impacting the blade into anything I don't see any need to make it weaker by drawing the temper. Dozier says it chips out too easy when it is harder, but Wilson says the same thing about 61 and draws it back even further to 59 or so. I would suggest if that is happening then change to a tougher steel, it isn't like there is a restriction of choices.

My part is in italics.

Amusing place and interesting perspective from many of the people in the above linked thread.

Note at no time, in that original D2 thread or any other thread was there ever any counter data provided (that wasn't simply highly anecdotal) and no argument was ever given to refute any of the materials data or peer reviewed references I provided.

What is even more amusing, is that many of these guys are now repeating as facts, arguments I made (which were quite unpopular at the time) concerning knife/steel/sharpening performance.

That isn't my favourite quote though which is from Jerry Hossom, which is classic "Emperor wears no clothes" which is something like (paraphrase) "Cliff is an idiot and every knife maker I know agrees with that" .

In comparision, I never insulted the man, simply disagreed, very strongly, with arguments he made on steel/performance which have no basis in metallurgy and are often highly contradictory.

The same guys hate Noss even more, so that is good company anyway.

To end, one of my favourite sasquatch sightings :

I like the implication that Mr. Quatch regularly washes and conditions his luxurious hair.
Re: A little personal commentary
August 15, 2012 05:31PM
No one could enjoy reading that kind of slander about themselves, but you already know that your BF detractors had an agenda. If you make and sell crappy knives, or you give misinformation about knives, Cliff Stamp will call you out. You should be proud of that Cliff.

I actually searched for Noss and Cliff because of all the negative things I had read about them on BF. I wanted to see for myself what they were doing/saying that was so horrible. Once I found Noss and Cliff it didn't take me very long to realize that it was the fools on BF that were in error and that Noss and Cliff were simply trying to get at the truth.
August 15, 2012 05:36PM
Oh, great Bigfoot clip btw.

My wife's grandfather (who was a logger and came from a long family line of loggers) claimed that he encountered an entire family of Sasquatch deep in the Oregon forests. He said he will never forget that the female had "huge pendulous breasts." And yes, Grandpa did occasionally do some drinking smileys with beer
August 15, 2012 07:21PM
Chum
No one could enjoy reading that kind of slander about themselves ...

I got involved in teaching when I was fairly young, and often volunteered for it as I enjoyed it. I ended up in the Scouts more or less by accident and though never going through the program as a Scout ended up being a leader. One of the things you learn quickly when dealing with young children is that they will insult you personally extremely easily as a defensive reaction, i.e. :

"This isn't that difficult, let me see if I can help you."

"It isn't hard it is stupid, and you are stupid, do this stupid thing yourself."

The problem is by even bringing up difficult you fire the first shot and they react without thinking. You actually have to approach them much more carefully like :

"That looks like fun, can I do a little."

If you see them struggling.

The problem is that some of these children never receive any discipline and they grow up into adults who have the same defensive reactions any time anything they say / think or do is challenged.

Person A : "Anyone have any ideas on steels for a large bush knife, I am thinking of D2 and 5160"

FanBoy : "D2 is great, I have a D2 JamJuicer from Hot Steel which is an excellent blade"

NonIdjit : D2 has a lot of wear, low toughness, poor grindability, etc. . - 5160 is much better, here are some metallurgy references, some reviews and some specific details on performance (geometry, etc.) ...

Now what does the FanBoy do (who has never used his blade and can't even spell metallurgy) he either :

a) admits that he doesn't know anything, never uses his knives seriously and just plays rambo fantasies in his mind and thinks Austenite is a guy from where where Steve Austin lives ...

-or-

b) goes on a rant against the other poster and since he has no facts he attacks him

Here is the thing and once you see this the posts don't bother you any more, any time you see any personal attack this is what they are really saying :

"Hey, it is like this, I know I am fairly ignorant and not very bright. I can not make an actual argument as I don't understand any of this really and quite frankly could never even understand the references you guys are using let alone try to counter them. I am also deeply insecure about all of this and about how all I really do is try to repeat what the popular people say so hopefully they will let me play with them because I can not make friends unless I copy people because no one likes me as I don't even like myself. Now I am going to attack you personally and hope that everyone will focus on that and not realize how insignificant I am and how I have never actually contributed anything myself. If I keep doing this enough maybe I can fool people. It may not work but that is all I have."

Can you see how sad and pitiful of a statement that is to make? Would you really get upset and angry if someone said that? Getting angry at those people is like getting upset when you are in line and there is someone in front of you with a severe physical handicap and they are slow. These people just have a severe mental and social handicap which has been programmed into them. They lead angry lives full of hostility and are always pretending to be someone other than they are in the hopes they can fool someone into spending time with them. Or they live in a fantasy world of their own creation and are surrounded by people who also want to be in that fantasy world for the same reason.

Chum
My wife's grandfather (who was a logger and came from a long family line of loggers) claimed that he encountered an entire family of Sasquatch deep in the Oregon forests. He said he will never forget that the female had "huge pendulous breasts." And yes, Grandpa did occasionally do some drinking smileys with beer

I would imagine if that kind of report was made more often there would be a lot more BigFoot hunters.
August 15, 2012 11:16PM
I lived in Cleveland County,NC for a short time. I am disappointed that I never go to rough talk Sasquatch. Maybe I needs to drink more.
August 16, 2012 01:46AM
Back when the internet was new, friends and I would sit up all night and fight with people in the chat rooms. This was just a new form of entertainment. The truth is all the people in the chat rooms loved it. They wanted us to be there because it wasn't boring. Same thing of Blade forums and every other forum. I didn't take chat rooms serious just like I didn't take forums serious. The were just little people with nothing more to do than burn up bandwidth all night.

I say screw those guys and their BS. They never bothered me and they don't now. I know they don't bother Cliff as well or we wouldn't be here today. They are jerks and they have thin skin.

I could go in there and cause plenty of Hell on blade forums and other forums if I wanted to. It doesn't take much to set them off. I just don't waste my time these days. Like all tings it grows old fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 01:49AM by Noss.
me2
August 25, 2012 06:55PM
How is it Cliff has been banned on BFC for years now, yet still has threads about him? Currently there is one discussing this site and some comments he made about M390 not holding an edge as long as it should or some such nonsense.
August 25, 2012 07:15PM
me2
How is it Cliff has been banned on BFC for years now, yet still has threads about him? Currently there is one discussing this site and some comments he made about M390 not holding an edge as long as it should or some such nonsense.

Cliff is the man with the truth... AND THEY FEAR THE TRUTH!!!

I really think it's as simple as that. Most can't admit that the blade they paid a mint for, or sell for a mint, isn't anything special... or worse, it's a piece of caca.
August 25, 2012 07:26PM
Some of these people are probably literal morons. Eg

[www.bladeforums.com]

One of these guys seems to think that because Cliff tested the Keffler with a chopping an onion that... yes, it really is this bad... Cliff thinks that the Keffler is a kitchen knife.

You really couldn't make this stuff up...
August 25, 2012 07:29PM
Chum
Most can't admit that the blade they paid a mint for, or sell for a mint, isn't anything special... or worse, it's a piece of caca.

Or that they have absolutely no understanding of the very utter basics of a subject they have made thousands of posts about. Eg some of these idiots think that a small knives HAVE to be sharper than big ones. If you try to explain to them about edge thickness and blade geometry they get very confused.
August 25, 2012 07:51PM
Ugh bladeforums, they really pull out all the stops when it comes to being idiots.
August 27, 2012 05:25PM
There are some who really do know what they are talking about on BF. thumbs up

Like anyplace else on the net there will be a variety of people.
August 27, 2012 05:34PM
Ankerson

I don't doubt that Ankerson. The problem I had with BF is that unless you have a solid understanding of knives and metallurgy you don't know who to trust. Too many people on BF just talk out of their hat.
August 27, 2012 05:36PM
me2

Didn't see that...

But I do know something about M390 after working with a number of knives at varying hardness ranges from 60 to 62 HRC and it is a solid high end steel that will hold an edge for a very long time.

No, it's not in the same class as the A11 type steels, S110V etc, but it will approach S90V edge retention wise depending on hardness, blade and edge geometry, but in the end S90V will win out due to the high Vanadium content.
August 27, 2012 05:38PM
Chum
Ankerson

I don't doubt that Ankerson. The problem I had with BF is that unless you have a solid understanding of knives and metallurgy you don't know who to trust. Too many people on BF just talk out of their hat.

There is a lot of that everyplace on the net. LOL

Just have to weed out the BS to find the truth.
August 27, 2012 05:43PM
Did a Shoot out between S90V (60 HRC) and M390 (61 HRC) here:

S90V vs M390 Shootout
August 27, 2012 05:56PM
Ankerson

S90V vs M390 Shootout

Nice comparison test!
August 27, 2012 06:32PM
Chum
Ankerson

S90V vs M390 Shootout

Nice comparison test!

Thanks. grinning smiley

I wanted to do it for a long time with like knives so I was waiting for the M390 Military to come out and get one so it would be even.
August 28, 2012 12:43AM
I can't help but laugh at the blade forums at this point. They always seem so confident in what they have, yet their comebacks are just so...For lack fo better words, just horrid.

As for the forum linked by Cliff, a junglas + an axe makes a good combo now ( I can't even fathom why they think this, a big chopping knife...And an axe. ). You think that perhaps they'd have thought that out more, I mean the junglas is fucking huge...But to add that to an axe and think that the utility of the combo is worth the added...Eh 33 ounces on the junglas, about the same on say the wetterlings large hunting axe (which I will begin using to process wood for the wood burner in the coming months ). I know I'd not want to carrying about 4 pounds in purely two blades which will be subject to the same use. Not to mention all your other gear.

Thanks for linking that comparison test by the way Ankerson, it was pretty interesting. Is there a notice-able difference in how sharp you are able to get each knife ( And the most ideal method for each, or would a belt sander with some finer grit sand papers remain the best option? )
August 28, 2012 04:10AM
Agith

Thanks for linking that comparison test by the way Ankerson, it was pretty interesting. Is there a notice-able difference in how sharp you are able to get each knife ( And the most ideal method for each, or would a belt sander with some finer grit sand papers remain the best option? )

No noticeable difference in sharpness to me.

I don't use power equipment to sharpen so I dunno.
August 28, 2012 01:51PM
Yeah, I stick to stones as well. Looking for some nicer whet stones currently.
November 27, 2013 08:10PM
Old Spice
Ugh bladeforums, they really pull out all the stops when it comes to being idiots.

I'll second that. The moderators there seem to have a hidden agenda. I was banned there too, for nothing really. And what's the deal with Esav Binjamin? He puts the dic in dictator. His sandbox, his rules.
November 27, 2013 08:50PM
Esav, like most of the moderators have severe personal interest to the point of idol worship with makers and manufacturers. Having a conversation about function/performance there is no different than going to a Justin Bieber concert and trying to have a conversation with 13 year old teens about the impact of Shane MaCGowan on irish folk music.
November 27, 2013 09:03PM
CliffStamp
Shane MaCGowan on irish folk music.

Pogues fan?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
November 28, 2013 03:22AM
Newfoundland is the next closest thing to Ireland, my father was a drummer in a local folk-rock band, I grew up listening to that.
November 28, 2013 03:29AM
No Iceland is closer winking smiley
November 28, 2013 08:48AM
OMG i can't believe all of this hate they have for Cliff, and the number of real operators!

Almost the same thing is happening on our croatian forum where one guy is trying to sell a knife like Fllkniven Vulcano based on what he had seen in the store, newer did he use it but he has a mouth full of it,but he needs his commission....
November 28, 2013 09:16AM
Ikarus
OMG i can't believe all of this hate they have for Cliff, and the number of real operators!

Almost the same thing is happening on our croatian forum where one guy is trying to sell a knife like Fllkniven Vulcano based on what he had seen in the store, newer did he use it but he has a mouth full of it,but he needs his commission....

Its a normal response when you tread on someone elses fantasy.
cKc
November 28, 2013 11:24AM
Old Spice
Ikarus

Its a normal response when you tread on someone elses fantasy.

This makes me want to design a boot with "Fantasy Crusher" deep walled hard soles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
November 28, 2013 02:17PM
Are you a Newfie? What do you think about the Newfoundland-Labrador merger? And have you ever driven the Trans-Labrador highway?