Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Going Back to Budget.....

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Going Back to Budget.....
February 13, 2017 05:15PM
This was an interesting thread I found on the Big Forum:

[www.bladeforums.com]

Which is nice for me for two reason:

I don't like carrying a knife that I can't easily replace.
I am doing a series on value/budget knives.

Anyone find themselves reverting to value/budget knives for EDC? If so, any mods? Re-grinding, re-profiling, thinning, ect?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: Going Back to Budget.....
February 13, 2017 11:18PM
I still carry my Leatherman Crater fairly often. I did thin up the grind a bit which makes it cut a little better and it is easier to sharpen now.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
February 14, 2017 01:54AM
Buck, Byrd and victorinox are my go to knives now.
February 14, 2017 02:08AM
I carry a small Victorinox on my key chain. I also have a thin 2 blade Victorinox in my wallet.These are backups to a more expensive folder for my primary edc knife. Lately the primary is a Spyderco Yojimbo.
February 14, 2017 04:43AM
curmudgeon
Lately the primary is a Spyderco Yojimbo.

What steel?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
February 15, 2017 07:01PM
S30V
cKc
February 18, 2017 11:34AM
The knives I tend to carry the most regularly would currently be my CRK Sebenza which was reground thin.. I just find this knife easy to carry and use. I like the way it opens and closes smoothly, with out moving by itself.. its also good in slippery fishy environments.

the knife i probably carry more would just be a swiss army knife, any model that has can/bottle, blade and awl.

I"m not really using my own knives much any more because I hardly have any left and wont be able to replace them.. I want ashley to have them later...

I kept loosing expensive knives on the wharf, so now I'm using qualty sub $40 commercial knives with plastic handles (like victorinox style).. these are working very well for my needs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
February 18, 2017 01:59PM
cKc, have you tried anything from Victory knives? I think they have several designs that look really useful to me. Particularly the shorter Heading knife, the Tuna knife, and the Fish Boning knife.
February 19, 2017 02:47AM
Victorinox is the staple of my pocket knife carry, a Cadet II usually. The Delica is a near perfect knife too.
cKc
February 19, 2017 10:13AM
Ryan Nafe
cKc, have you tried anything from Victory knives? I think they have several designs that look really useful to me. Particularly the shorter Heading knife, the Tuna knife, and the Fish Boning knife.

Yep. I'm using a rabbit knife as my bait knife at the moment. the fine taper makes it like a stubby filleting knife.

The steel is very easy to hold and edge and doesn't rust too quickly in the salt when you forget to clean it. when I cut on concrete, its easy to restore the edge again without too much hassle.

February 19, 2017 10:43AM
Olfa!

Also at work I carry a cheap kitchen knife with about 9" blade , reground, in a stout Holstex scabbard. Apparently it looks aggressive to the softscape crews but the hardscape guys all love it.
February 19, 2017 02:26PM
cKc
Ryan Nafe

Yep. I'm using a rabbit knife as my bait knife at the moment. the fine taper makes it like a stubby filleting knife.

The steel is very easy to hold and edge and doesn't rust too quickly in the salt when you forget to clean it. when I cut on concrete, its easy to restore the edge again without too much hassle.

Sweet. I found a company in New Zealand that sells what appears to be the majority of the Victory line. I'm gonna have to get at least a few knives to justify the international shipping costs but I'm curious enough to give them at try. Their sheep skinning knife looks great for all manner of game processing. The tuna knife looks to be a decent utility knife, I don't have any tuna to cut up though.
February 19, 2017 05:13PM
for a couple of years I carried only Victorinox knives - just recently I bought again some 50-150$ price range folders

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
February 19, 2017 08:25PM
I carry my Ontario RAT-1 in D2 to work everyday. It gets crap done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
cKc
February 26, 2017 09:57AM
Ryan Nafe

Sweet. I found a company in New Zealand that sells what appears to be the majority of the Victory line. I'm gonna have to get at least a few knives to justify the international shipping costs but I'm curious enough to give them at try. Their sheep skinning knife looks great for all manner of game processing. The tuna knife looks to be a decent utility knife, I don't have any tuna to cut up though.

is it Top Gear? [www.top-gear.co.nz]

not sure what they charge for shipping, but I can tell you roughly that the cheapest option nz to us for basic air mail is around $15NZD shipping for 1-2 knives depending on weight (no tracking etc).. once you hit tracking and faster delivery then $45nz is about the minimum charge.

I just bought 2 of the tuna knives as they are on sale for $20 which is a nice price. I'll have to make sheaths for them though.

if you want help getting something let me know.. I'm not sure if they will be different from Victorinox. I expect they are very similar, except for having different designs.

February 26, 2017 07:29PM
cKc
is it Top Gear? [www.top-gear.co.nz]

Yup, that's the one. I found another site as well but they had a small selection of the line, just the diving knives I think.

cKc
I'm not sure if they will be different from Victorinox. I expect they are very similar, except for having different designs.

That's what I'm thinking as well, they look like Victorinox knives in a lot of ways, materials especially. The designs are really interesting to me, they make a lot of stuff that's not common here. The tuna knife, for example, looks like a great all-around fixed blade. Several of the designs look excellent for game processing and they're pretty inexpensive, I can test one or two models out and then give a few more to friends and family who really need to upgrade from random hardware store no-name knives.
March 28, 2017 03:25PM
I have discovered the joy of lower cost knives. But I still make one or two big purchases a year.

This is on its way, and found a $8 sheath for it from amazon:
[www.varusteleka.com]

Also got the Mora Eldris and really dig it.

Swiss Bianco has a bunch of custom Victoinox scales and models. I've been wanting to get one or two.
April 19, 2018 11:29PM
jasonstone20

[www.bladeforums.com]

Anyone find themselves reverting to value/budget knives for EDC? If so, any mods? Re-grinding, re-profiling, thinning, ect?

The knives end up costing so much, and become so visually appealing and brittle at the blade that people don't want to use them, and rightly so. I babied my Spyderco's because of how expensive they were, and that was before the MAP's.

Cold Steel's xhp offerings are not cheap, but you can snag them for $75 if you look hard enough, or lower on the secondary market. I got a good condition American Lawman for $68 off ebay. Even at the full $90 brand new price for, say, a Cold Steel Recon, Spyderco will charge you twice as much for the same materials, and Benchmade even more.
April 20, 2018 02:02PM
Erik
jasonstone20

[www.bladeforums.com]

The knives end up costing so much, and become so visually appealing and brittle at the blade that people don't want to use them, and rightly so. I babied my Spyderco's because of how expensive they were, and that was before the MAP's.

Cold Steel's xhp offerings are not cheap, but you can snag them for $75 if you look hard enough, or lower on the secondary market. I got a good condition American Lawman for $68 off ebay. Even at the full $90 brand new price for, say, a Cold Steel Recon, Spyderco will charge you twice as much for the same materials, and Benchmade even more.

I can ensure you that the tech spyderco is using to produce blades
is more optimal than what coldsteel is using.
Spydercos have relatively decent ht most of times,
perhaps never seen better than mediocre ht from coldsteel.
Whats the point of using of whatever steel if u cant ht it properly
and sharpen without damage the edge ?

EDIT:

Costs of blade steel is a very little fraction from total product price.
Just abrasives to grind and to be thrown into garbage cost
few times more than steel per blade.

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 02:10PM by JSCT.
April 21, 2018 04:30AM
JSCT

I can ensure you that the tech spyderco is using to produce blades
is more optimal than what coldsteel is using.

Spyderco's marketing has a far reach. For years they've been aggressively promoting themselves as "super serious steel nerds," very hard as of late, and so people then come to perceive their steels as possessing mythical qualities, hence the "super steel" rat race, the now xenophobic Spyderco forums, and the common place assumption that they can do no wrong and are automatically better than everyone else "because Spyderco."

Yes, their knives are refined, of high quality, and there is truth in their steel marketing. Humans, being what they are, have latched onto these facts and exaggerated them beyond reasonable proportions, and now you have a very overpriced company that has even the hardest of shills on the forums massaging their wallets.

I'm not sure how you can ensure me that Cold Steel is inferior these days beyond pointing to a goofy Lynn Thompson video on youtube. I'm grateful to Spyderco for forcing the competition to take steel quality seriously, but now they're high on their own supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 04:34AM by Erik.
April 21, 2018 04:47AM
on the subject of Cold Steel's XHP quality, I'm interested in a Cliff Stamp review of a CTS-XHP Cold Steel folder as a follow up to his review of the AUS-8 AK-47 folder, of which he was generally favorable if I remember correctly.
April 21, 2018 09:28PM
Erik
on the subject of Cold Steel's XHP quality, I'm interested in a Cliff Stamp review of a CTS-XHP Cold Steel folder as a follow up to his review of the AUS-8 AK-47 folder, of which he was generally favorable if I remember correctly.

Tests data table - the most right column contains link to yt vid
- Friends channel and most likely the best controlled tests freely available on the internet.

Apart from that;
I had aus-8 from cs and chinese made 8cr13mov tenacious made in china.
Blade on tenaciois had much better ht. With decent ht I would not be able
to tell difference between 8cr13mov and aus8..

Yes some spydercos are very expensive and I would rather place custom order to knifemaker
than pay 300+ for production knife.

Perhaps relative what product is being offered I wouldnt say they are terribly overpriced
if u consider the competition..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools