Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Micarta handles - to polish or not?

Posted by chiseen 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Micarta handles - to polish or not?
March 28, 2017 02:55AM
Hello, I need some help figuring this out. I will be getting the Chris Caine survival tool but can't decide on the handle finish. They offer polished or unpolished micarta. I really like the polished look, but it seems for a big chopping knife it would make more sense to go with the handle unpolished. Does anyone have experience with a big knife with a polished handle? Is it grippy enough or doss it tend to slip when hitting a log, batoining, etc. Thanks in advance!
Re: Micarta handles - to polish or not?
March 28, 2017 04:07AM
chiseen
Hello, I need some help figuring this out. I will be getting the Chris Caine survival tool but can't decide on the handle finish. They offer polished or unpolished micarta. I really like the polished look, but it seems for a big chopping knife it would make more sense to go with the handle unpolished. Does anyone have experience with a big knife with a polished handle? Is it grippy enough or doss it tend to slip when hitting a log, batoining, etc. Thanks in advance!

I have found that the texture of the handle, on a chopper, matters less than the shape of the handle and how well it locks your hand into place. Plus, if you find that the polished handle isn't grippy enough for your taste, you can always sand it yourself, or even put some grooves into it. I'd get the the polished handle if I were you.

Question... what are you getting the Chris Caine Survival Tool for?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
March 28, 2017 02:27PM
Chum, thanks for the input. I really like the look of the polished handles.

Well, I guess I will use it as a weapon of mass destruction of sorts smiling smiley.

Most of my other knives are for bushcrafting, so this is one of the few big choppers I have. I do have some axes but since Cliff showed that this can match the Fiskars X7, I thought it would be a good one tool option.
KWB
March 28, 2017 07:11PM
Polished handles are nice for looks but for me in choppers that lack grip. Assuming they dont charge extra for polished its not a big deal a little sandpaper and you will be good to go.

Cliff has a chopper I made awhile back, there is a thread Kyle Bettleyon confused smileyHC and a vid on it for reference. Hope this helps.

Contact 570-486-9095

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 07:33PM by KWB.