Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spydiechef

Posted by Chum 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spydiechef
January 10, 2017 10:50PM
I think I'd like this one. FFG, nitrogen steel, room for your fingers if cutting on a flat surface...

Spydiechef Titanium

Overall Length 7.78" (198 mm)
Blade Length 3.32" (84 mm)
Steel LC 200 N
Closed Length 4.46" (113 mm)
Edge Length 3.31" (84 mm)
Weight 3.8 oz (108 g)
Blade Thickness 0.118" (3.0 mm)
Handle Titanium
Clip Position Left/Right
Tip Carry Position Tip-Up
Lock Type R.I.L.
Grind Full-Flat
Origin Taiwan

Description: Designed by renowned Polish custom knifemaker Marcin Slysz, the Spydiechef is an extremely refined folding knife that takes the user-friendly ergonomics and balance of a world-class chef’s knife and translates them into an all-purpose, everyday-carry folder that is impervious to the elements. A proud member of Spyderco’s Salt Series™ of ultra-corrosion-resistant knives, the Spydiechef features a gracefully curved blade crafted from LC200N. This state-of-the-art nitrogen-based alloy is extremely corrosion resistant and is actually used by NASA for the ball bearings used in aerospace applications. The blade’s broad profile and full-flat grind create exceptional edge geometry that ensures precise, low-friction cutting performance.

To reduce weight, optimize balance, and simplify cleaning, the Spydiechef features an open-backed handle constructed with two precision-machined solid titanium scales. The reverse-side scale houses a stout Reeve Integral Lock (R.I.L.) mechanism that locks the blade firmly open when in use. For additional security when working around water, the handle also includes a lined lanyard hole for easy attachment of safety lines and lanyards and a reversible deep-pocket wire clip for convenient, ambidextrous carry and quick tip-up access.

An impressive synthesis of custom-quality craftsmanship and advanced corrosion-resistant materials, the Spydiechef offers extreme cutting performance in a package that is immune to even the harshest environments.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Re: Spydiechef
January 11, 2017 01:43AM
Nice looking knife!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
January 11, 2017 04:31PM
I bought one the day my local dealer got them since this is fairly close to an ideal design for my EDC use, barring that I would prefer g10 handles and a compression lock over the titanium framelock.

The ergonomics are quite comfortable for me, though I have relatively small hands so knives like this and the PM2 fit my hands perfectly notwithstanding their thin and boxy profiles. Your mileage may vary. The angle between the handle and blade is also a nice compromise between being able to use a cutting board for food prep and still being useful at other EDC tasks, and I also really like the long cutting edge, lack of a choil, and inclusion of a sharpening notch.

Now all of that being said, the real showstopper for me is this. I went through all five that my local dealer received and specifically choose the one that felt thinnest behind the edge, and what I ended up with is the thinnest behind the edge modern production folding knife I've ever seen.

~0.013"-0.015" at 1/32" behind the apex at ~15 dps
~0.032"-0.035" at 1/4" behind the apex

Those numbers are comparable to my 440C Calton necker and are quite a bit thinner than any of my other production folders, meaning I did not feel the need to do anything except lower the edge bevel angle from ~15 dps to ~10 dps and but a microbevel on it.

In terms of high sharpness edge retention and resistance to microscopic apex chipping, LC200n in this application has appeared indistinguishable to me from AEB-L at ~60-62 HRC or 52100 at similar hardness, which is to say it has been GREAT.

The performance in my EDC use has been so good that I've been carrying the knife continuously since I got it, and don't see much likelihood of switching to anything else until I send a few of my knives out for full regrinds.

Also, here are a couple of gratuitous pictures with a semi-mirrored edge bevel (in reality I just shaped the edge bevel using an SPS-II 1000 and then used a 16 micron CBN on balsa strop to put on a convex microbevel. The strop creates this false-mirror effect purely as a side-effect):

January 11, 2017 05:49PM
It looks like a great knife! This and the designers Bowie knife folder from Spyderco are two knives I would like to have, they have gotten great reviews from the YouTube reviewers.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
January 11, 2017 07:35PM
That is a hell of a review by Steel Drake. I really like hearing how thin the edge is out of the box.

Any observations regarding the "stout Reeve Integral Lock (R.I.L.) mechanism."

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
January 11, 2017 08:35PM
Chum
That is a hell of a review by Steel Drake. I really like hearing how thin the edge is out of the box.

Any observations regarding the "stout Reeve Integral Lock (R.I.L.) mechanism."

I wouldn't rely on the lock for anything more strenuous than light EDC work, especially as this model does not have a steel insert on the lock bar. Honestly the one change that would dramatically improve this knife in my eyes is if it had a compression lock instead of the framelock.

This model is also almost perfectly tailored to my EDC use case and preferences, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that I deliberately picked the one that felt thinnest behind the edge in store. One other minor criticism I would make is that I would have preferred more of a distal taper to this model. Here is a comparison of the distal taper on the Spydiechef (top) to my HAP40 Endura (bottom):

The Spydiechef is also quite expensive. Thankfully Spyderco appears likely to roll out LC200n across more value priced models as an alternative to H1, so that should put the steel in some more affordable models. Also fortunate is the extreme corrosion resistance of LC200n as it gives it some protection against being shouted down for not having 20%+ vanadium content.
January 12, 2017 03:18AM
I,like the looks of this one, and enjoyed the review. On the handle, the hump in the middle, does it dig into your palm?
January 15, 2017 08:07PM
chad234
I,like the looks of this one, and enjoyed the review. On the handle, the hump in the middle, does it dig into your palm?

Not at all, in fact I had to scroll up and look at the pictures to even realize what hump you were talking about.