WC Knives WCSK

Posted by CliffStamp 
WC Knives WCSK
March 25, 2018 12:30PM
At first glance this knife seems far North of silly :

But, there are two major factors against that claim :

-the maker and the main reviewer/promoter are really down to earth type guys

and most of the people who talk about it are similar :

That guy seems about as likely to be promotional/hype based as you are to see Kim Kardashian starting a friction fire.

I am semi-seriously thinking about buying one.

Plus his beard should have its own channel.
Re: WC Knives WCSK
March 25, 2018 01:00PM
Cliff,
I have been following his channel for a few years, and this new knife looks interesting. Kind of weird also.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
cKc
March 25, 2018 02:46PM
seems like its trying to achieve a similar goal to a Tom Brown tracker, with some differences in design, but similar design model.

im not one to ever like grabbing a knife around the blade as shown.. thats just me though. i dont trust myself not to cut myself doing that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
March 27, 2018 02:54PM
Well, it doesn’t have a saw back, so that is a massive improvement over the Tracker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
March 30, 2018 02:31PM
I am going to buy one. I was fairly critical in comments on the video and he didn't flip out, just responded to the criticism. I support that even if he was making swords out of 10V.
cKc
April 02, 2018 03:07AM
cool. im always interested in seeing how these types of knives work out. its easy to follow trends. harder to design something you believe in and show the merits of it.

[data.gearbastion.com]
April 05, 2018 03:01PM
I got Bruce to make a sheath, I think that might be harder than me finding a practical use for it.
April 06, 2018 07:42AM
cKc
seems like its trying to achieve a similar goal to a Tom Brown tracker, with some differences in design, but similar design model.

He actually made Tracker variants :

Which you likely guessed after just seeing the knife. It is kind of like a Hoodlum mated with a Tracker. Ron Hood loved that Tanto point, put that on a Tracker and then give it the only scandi-grind and you have the trifecta.
cKc
April 11, 2018 03:09AM
I'll be very interested to see how you like it. just watching a couple of videos on the protype, and a kukri prototype the edge geometry seems off to me for my personal preferences. the bevels appear overly thick and short as could be seen when trying to cut the slices in the zuccini or what vege it was. almost like a short scandi with a thick micro.

if im right, then it could be a case of just thinning those bevels down could add wonders... but would that then detract from the designers intent?

[data.gearbastion.com]
April 12, 2018 08:37AM
cKc
I'll be very interested to see how you like it. just watching a couple of videos on the protype, and a kukri prototype the edge geometry seems off to me for my personal preferences. the bevels appear overly thick and short as could be seen when trying to cut the slices in the zuccini or what vege it was. almost like a short scandi with a thick micro.

if im right, then it could be a case of just thinning those bevels down could add wonders... but would that then detract from the designers intent?

They are stressing survival/combat and how harder work is supposed to be part of the intent of the design. The raw fact is that you can't add durability in extreme work without losing cutting ability in lower stress work.

However an issue is most of the work of the knife in video's is just wood craft and it looks to be readily out performed in those tasks by a simple flat ground blade with a wood working profile.

This however is more of a case of who is looking at it as they are all wood craft people vs the survival people who do less woodworking and more general craziness with knives.

That being said, I am skeptical of any kind of complicated design because each feature tends to get in the way of something hence why knives, in general, tend to be very simple in design.

Why doesn't a fillet knife have those kinds of bumps, points and curves? When you use a fillet knife you could use each of them for something, but they would all get in the way for the primary purpose as well.

Anyway, I would support the guy just because of how he interacts with criticism.
June 29, 2018 05:13PM
This has been made and is on its way to Bruce for some leather, which likely will be an interesting adventure. If he does have a look at it then I'll link to a video.
July 04, 2018 06:13AM
July 05, 2018 07:13AM
I totally get why you purchased the knife, and I'm interested to see what you get out of it's performance, but man, that is not a knife I find aesthetically pleasing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 18, 2018 05:24PM
C Amber
...but man, that is not a knife I find aesthetically pleasing.

People say that about me all the time ... .
July 19, 2018 03:50AM
That makes two of us! smiling smiley

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 19, 2018 05:36AM
Cliff,

To have any cold tests planned for the bolatron sheath?
August 05, 2018 04:19PM
Likely, I am curious about low temperature durability.

However, my initial impressions of Kydex were likely colored by the fact it was new at the time and people were all over the place with using it. The durability of it ranges quite a bit depending on exactly what is used and the temperatures it was exposed to. The unfortunate part is that initially there was almost no information on this and hence when I had a lot of failures early on and NO warranty support, well I kind of abandoned it as a practical case material.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login