Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X46Cr13 Hard to find much about it

Posted by cKc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cKc
X46Cr13 Hard to find much about it
April 02, 2018 10:11AM
Perhaps this is a steel that is just sneered at by the "knife" crowd. not really sure as i can't find a lot on it.

but I'm more a fan of how stuff works in real life, than weather it is the longest edge retention etc etc.

for me typically its.. will it break, will it rust, will it sharpen in a pinch..

this steel is being used by local company Victory Knives hardened to 55-56 rc for its fishing knives.

i have a couple of knives in it, and will probably buy another filet knife to compare with one i have which is "some klind" of japanese steel which seems to work well enough.

anyone else used it?

[www.victoryknives.co.nz]

they have a catalog

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 10:27AM by cKc.
me2
Re: X46Cr13 Hard to find much about it
April 02, 2018 04:05PM
Isn't it basically 420HC?
April 02, 2018 07:15PM
The X46 refers to carbon content (~0.46%) and the Cr13 refers to chromium content (13%). It is a 420HC.
April 03, 2018 12:37PM

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
RFL
April 03, 2018 04:57PM
From http://zknives.com/knives/steels/diro-x46cr13.shtml]Z Knives[/url]:

Diro-X46Cr13(Dirostahl) - Chromium stainless steel. Good workability when hot. Used for applications requiring hardness and corrosion and wear resistance. (Corrosion resistance reduced when not heat treated, heat treated and polished resists rust, diluted nitric acid and mild organic acids). Bad weldability. Similar to AISI 420 steel.
RFL
April 03, 2018 04:59PM
Z Knives

Better link.
April 03, 2018 06:05PM
Please dont give much credit to the the steels descriptions at zknives.

Whoever is behind data collection and database creation/maintenance
is making very useful and good job for many many users.
Respect to them.

But many descriptions of the steels are just not valid so it kinda balances
my judgement about the authors knowledge of steels..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 06:09PM by JSCT.
April 03, 2018 06:55PM
That looks like a canned description with no reference attached.
April 03, 2018 10:08PM
Larrin
That looks like a canned description with no reference attached.

It is a canned opinion.. I kinda canned it when I ve read over 20-30 of them.
Then, I simply stopped reading them..

In the upper posted link:
Did he mention using .4034 in other than martensitic state ? ...
Why would anyone pay for 4034 and wont ht it ?
What about construction steels and austenitic,duplex,ferritic stainless grades
and many more ?

Also:
X65Cr13
We know well that it gets over 60HRC even without cryo.. and its quite "working"

One I came across recently:
cts-bdz1
zknives is full of statements of a kind: more carbide formers are always better than less..

They are like statements taken out of context..

EDIT: I am not saying they are all wrong, just they can be deceiving sometimes..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 10:14PM by JSCT.
April 03, 2018 10:27PM
cKc
will it break, will it rust, will it sharpen in a pinch..

Didnt use it for blade as knew it cannot achieve strength as high as X65Cr13 class (Yep - AEB-L, 13C26..)

Must be great for linerlocks liners and springs, I dont see advantage from better ductility/toughness
trade off for strength in blades.. I believe marttiini uses it for filetting knives.
Good choice if you want to make a low cost low maintenance stainless knife.

It is definitely more corrosion resistant than AEB-L
and polishes and grinds like butter !

April 04, 2018 01:58AM
Hi,

zknives appears to be quoting or paraphrasing the sheets

60HRC is listed in dew-stahl/Werkstoffdatenblaetter/RSH/1.4037_en.pdf

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
April 04, 2018 10:34AM
ShaperAndMower
Hi,

zknives appears to be quoting or paraphrasing the sheets

60HRC is listed in dew-stahl/Werkstoffdatenblaetter/RSH/1.4037_en.pdf

Yep and as general datasheet texts rarely consider knives as the only or main product
plus authors subjective remaks sometimes result in something that describes something
else but not necesarilly the exact alloy.

cKc
April 07, 2018 09:38AM
the knives are very easy to sharpen, which i like. are used in salt and dont rust too bad if rinsed, which i like. when i cut on concrete as a cutting board (carefully) i can restore the edge well.

as an interesting side not to this. when in the tackle store, they tend to use a cheap bait knife made of some kind of stainless and sharpened like a stainless mora to scrape off bindings on rods on the steel feet. they asked me to sharpen the knives for them because they were severely dented and blunt.

i said sure, but didn't want to waste a lot of time, so i brought down 3 items which i planned to leave with them as loaners.
1st was a carbide v shape pull through sharpener. 2nd a norton axe puck, and 3rd a whusthof steel hone.

i ran the knife through the carbide cutter with a lot of force which literally ripped off all the bent flat bad steel and left a terrible but well cut v-edge as they do. this was about 15 seconds of work. i spent 30 seconds rubbing the edge on the puck and then swiped 3 times each side on the hone... about 1 minute or a little more.. this provided an edge which popped the hairs off my arm easily.. it would be dull fast anyway with the work it was used for.. but it shows what the combination of a basic steel of low hardness with some budget cutters and such can do for a laymen as far as cost of ownership of sharpening in regards to time wasted. (not time spent for most people, just wasted)

and thats what I'm liking about this steel. has all those attributes for a simple work knife + low cost so you dont feel bad if you oversharpen and reduce life a few years.

April 07, 2018 10:10PM
Kyley, I’ve considered getting some of those knives from Victory since you mentioned them a while back. Are there any particular designs you like? The tuna knife looks very useful to me for processing trout and catfish.
JDW
April 08, 2018 07:38AM
cKc
the knives are very easy to sharpen, which i like. are used in salt and dont rust too bad if rinsed, which i like. when i cut on concrete as a cutting board (carefully) i can restore the edge well.

as an interesting side not to this. when in the tackle store, they tend to use a cheap bait knife made of some kind of stainless and sharpened like a stainless mora to scrape off bindings on rods on the steel feet. they asked me to sharpen the knives for them because they were severely dented and blunt.

i said sure, but didn't want to waste a lot of time, so i brought down 3 items which i planned to leave with them as loaners.
1st was a carbide v shape pull through sharpener. 2nd a norton axe puck, and 3rd a whusthof steel hone.

i ran the knife through the carbide cutter with a lot of force which literally ripped off all the bent flat bad steel and left a terrible but well cut v-edge as they do. this was about 15 seconds of work. i spent 30 seconds rubbing the edge on the puck and then swiped 3 times each side on the hone... about 1 minute or a little more.. this provided an edge which popped the hairs off my arm easily.. it would be dull fast anyway with the work it was used for.. but it shows what the combination of a basic steel of low hardness with some budget cutters and such can do for a laymen as far as cost of ownership of sharpening in regards to time wasted. (not time spent for most people, just wasted)

and thats what I'm liking about this steel. has all those attributes for a simple work knife + low cost so you dont feel bad if you oversharpen and reduce life a few years.

Cool story! Sharpening does not have to be expensive to be effective.
cKc
April 09, 2018 10:27AM
Ryan Nafe
Kyley, I’ve considered getting some of those knives from Victory since you mentioned them a while back. Are there any particular designs you like? The tuna knife looks very useful to me for processing trout and catfish.

from the [www.victoryknives.co.nz] catalog

The Y-Cut knife looks interesting to me. from the picture. it reminds me of the design of my passaround knife that i did in H13. quite a nice utilitarian shape

7" fillet knife with sheath. looks good. i have a 10" and its nice. my 7" is a similar brand

under miscellaneous knifes I'm thinking of trying the Carbon Steel "Outdoor knife" it reminds me of my field knife and its only $30 nzd so i can whip a kydex sheath on that and see how it performs as a round the house..

I also own the rabbit knife and sheath. thats been an excellent bait knife. the tuna is very pointy. im not sure how to process catfish etc so not sure how good it would be. i feel the narrow knives work a little easier on most fish.

cKc
April 10, 2018 05:16AM
well. i bought the outdoor knife for $30 and built a sheath for it and i'll use if for whatever i need it for and see how it goes. not a lot of use needed at the moment.

it was rough dull edge compared to the sharp fillet knife so that was a let down..
the pro's is that its a full flat grind of what appears to be about 2mm blade thickness and i will say from the feeling between my fingers that its ground as thin as i'd grind a knife like this. possibly thinner overall because of a full height.

sharpening took 1 minute or so on some fine dmt, xfine, and a hone. (1min total.. not much work). this got it to taking my arm hairs easily..

because of the thinness and profile, it slices cucumber better than my whustof kitchen knife so this is very promising.

it will be interesing because the steel is noted as "high carbon" that is all grinning smiley its mystery steel.. but not stainless i believe.