Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mora Bushcraft Black

Posted by CliffStamp 
Mora Bushcraft Black
December 10, 2012 09:28PM
Doesn't this seem a bit silly :

Considering the main promoted advantages of this single bevel grind by the bushcraft community. That is a DLC coating (diamond like coating) hence the extreme hardness claims (95 rockwell, etc.). DLC coatings can in general surpass the hardness of natural diamond, but the hardness is kind of non-sensible as they will fracture under abrasive contact when used as they are here. Still though, it is sillier to put a DLC coating on a $5 Mora or sell a D2 single bevel bushcraft knife for $250.
Re: Mora Bushcraft Black
December 10, 2012 09:41PM
It's a good marketing idea. I bet they sell a shitton of these.

I agree though it is silly, but I think a $250.00 single bevel D2 bushcraft knife is sillier.
December 10, 2012 10:15PM
Rofl sharpen away that DLC!
December 11, 2012 01:30AM
Well it happened. Tacticool and bushcraft met and had a child. Now we can hope it has red hair, but that sure as hell won't happen
December 11, 2012 12:07PM
Oddly for some reason they've never got into the full tang scandi bandwagon.
December 11, 2012 02:22PM
Some kind of a bigger production cost increase?
December 14, 2012 06:35AM
I like black coated blades better myself. I agree it looks like Mora is trying to cash in on the tactical market as styx said.
Nothing wrong with that I guess. It looks like a nice knife though. At 36 bucks or so it's still not very expensive.
December 14, 2012 08:59AM
Noss
I like black coated blades better myself. I agree it looks like Mora is trying to cash in on the tactical market as styx said.
Nothing wrong with that I guess. It looks like a nice knife though. At 36 bucks or so it's still not very expensive.

After seeing virtuovice's x-rays of the tangs, and hearing his reviews of the handles, I have to say I don't think this Mora Bushcraft Black is so bad.

I talk about it, and post virtuovice's video here: [www.cliffstamp.com]

I do like the Forest variety better since it has a somewhat flat grind in the front of the blade.
December 14, 2012 10:07AM
Noss
Nothing wrong with that I guess.
The odd part is that they blackened the bevels, although it's generally a bit hollow, it's a bit weird.

Then aside from that, it's a lot like Fiskars Sissipuukko, except cheaper.
They can make a black/military/tactical mora, I mean, why not.
Now the odd part is that they chose a pretty "high-end" coating instead of something cheaper like Teflon, parkerizing or even TiNi.
Interestingly seen some where blade is tempered to 57 instead of their usual 60 for carbon steel. Probably for additional toughness but I'm not sure how edge wil behave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 10:12AM by bubo.
December 14, 2012 10:43AM
How expensive can the coating be? The black variety is $1.00 more than the non-black variety.
me2
December 15, 2012 05:37AM
The DLC coating requires higher temperatures to apply. I would guess that is part of the reason for the lower hardness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login