Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutlerylover's First Knife Design

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cutlerylover's First Knife Design
November 22, 2018 07:37PM
Videos:
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: Cutlerylover's First Knife Design
November 22, 2018 09:27PM
2 low performance blades instead of one high perfomance one ? Is it really a substitution ?
What about a multi-tool with nothing but 10 identical flat screwdrivers ?
How comes he was not struck with an idea to have 2 different blades ?

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
November 22, 2018 11:32PM
JSCT,
Funny thing is that I think the flipper blade was supposed to be the high performance blade.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
November 23, 2018 09:20PM
jasonstone20
JSCT,
Funny thing is that I think the flipper blade was supposed to be the high performance blade.

High performance opening confused smiley maybe

November 23, 2018 11:54PM
JSCT,
Yeah, I think we must have different ideas of performance.

November 24, 2018 01:49AM
He was most excited about the point on the flipper for its "piercing" ability. I never pierce anything with a knife so that is not particularly exciting for me. Does he explain in the video why it is a combination flipper and slipjoint?
November 24, 2018 03:17AM
Larrin,
He starts to a few times but really doesn't explain it more than a thin point knife for delicate cutting (flipper) and a thicker point knife for more abusive work (slipjoint).

RFL
November 27, 2018 02:57PM
I like the folder because it is definitely a very different design; and that is what Jeff wanted. I am glad that he is excited about the end product. The idea that some one from YouTube can have their idea fully implemented and produced is very progressive.

However, as a practical pocketknife the design is not only a failure, but it appears to be a bad joke as well. As described, it is thick and heavy for a small folder, and the blade length to handle ratios are poor. Also, the saber ground blades will not have high cutting ability.

To be fair, most cutlery is not designed and marketed for efficient and practical use.
November 27, 2018 04:20PM
RFL,
Yeah, I think it is cool that he got a knife made.

November 27, 2018 05:37PM
Any of you guys can have a knife made as there are plenty of makers that take custom orders.
Its pretty much the same.
And most people who ever used a folder would be able to put together concept that
design-wise would not be less advanced.

I certainly cannot know how well he knows the maker perhaps
from my point of view as a maker it was interesting for them to make a knife
for someone with a popular yt channel.