Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Triple B Handmade Mini-Trapper S125V, Benchmade Bugout S30V

Posted by jasonstone20 
Triple B Handmade Mini-Trapper S125V, Benchmade Bugout S30V
January 29, 2019 11:27AM

Since I can't seem to get this knife dull, I think I will see how it sharpens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges
Re: Triple B Handmade Mini-Trapper S125V, Benchmade Bugout S30V
January 30, 2019 09:53AM
That is a neat design for that that steel. Unheard of, trying to grind and design a knife to take full advantage of steel performance/ spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
January 30, 2019 02:03PM
Bugout Bill,
Right? Funny what happens when you actually use your knives, never mind sharpen them yourself.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
February 09, 2019 10:13AM
So I finally got the Mini Trapper in S125V to dull. I just used it in the kitchen for a week or so. It was still sharp, just not shaving sharp. There was carbide tear out, about four micro-chips that you can't see (unless under magnification) but you can feel if you run your nail up and down the edge. This was from wear, as that is how high carbide steels wear, so it is normal. I talked to the maker, Shawn Houston (Big Brown Bear on YouTube, Triple B Handmade on Instagram) about finally dulling the knife, and that I was going to sharpen it to see how the steel sharpened. Shawn suggested the Venev 1200 stone I had to sharpen it. The knife sharpened easily, and was shaving in both directions off the Venev 1200 pocket diamond waterstone. I little stropping with 1u Portland Knife House diamond spray and the knife was whittling head hairs. The grind was immaculate, as both edge bevels were even. The knife, even without a fitted handle, has great ergonomics.

On to the Benchmade Bugout. I really like this knife. It is an awesome EDC knife. I did have some issues getting it head-hair whittling sharp. I could get it beard hair whittling sharp easily. I think it was just my technique and not sharpening everyday like I normally do. I did finally get it to whittle head hair in both directions. What I did was just simplify my technique and not worry about getting a nice polish on the blade.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
February 27, 2019 02:43PM

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
January 22, 2020 07:53PM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login