[www.spyderco.com]
[forum.spyderco.com]

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 10:24PM by jasonstone20.
sal
Re: Spyderco Straight Spine Strech 2
November 11, 2019 12:25PM
It's an interesting experiment, in my opinion. The "Stretch" never sold well, at least not compared to the Endura and Delica, which it is halfway between in blade length. The first change I made was t redesign with minor adjustments that I felt were an improvement. New tooling and all. There was little difference in sales between the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2.

Logically, there were,as I saw it, only 3 possibilities;

1) The drop point blade shape was not appealing.
2) The finger choil was a deviation from the Endura and Delica, which just have a kick and no finger choil.
3) The lack of the "straight Spine" like the Endura and Delica was not there.

To test the theories, I made a version of the Stretch with a Straight spine (ivory handle) as a Sprint and I designed the Endela which is just like the Endura and Delica but halfway between in blade length.

We'll hide-n-watch.

sal
Re: Spyderco Straight Spine Strech 2
November 12, 2019 09:59AM
Sal,
That is an interesting approach. I find it odd that people would like the Benchmade Griptillians Sheepfoot blade, which has a similar blade shape as the Stretch. Also, I think that the 3.5" blade size is the best EDC blade length. For years I thought that the Endura had a 3.5" blade for some reason. One of my favorite knives is the now discontinued Benchmade Pika 2, which is basically a Spyderco Delica/Endura style knife made by Benchmade obviously. I have a Byrd Meadowlark 2 Hawkbill and a Spyderco Merlin, which basically are hawkbill versions of the Delica. When I was looking for a new knife to replace my Benchmade AFCK and Pika 2, the Spyderco PM 2, Stretch, and Endura were the ones I wanted. I didn't end up buying any of them, because I got a gift of a Benchmade Mini-Grip with the Sheepsfoot blade, which is on my list of best EDC blades. I think I am going to get a Byrd Meadowlark 2, Cara Cara 2, Spyderco Delica or Endura next. Maybe a Sypderco Manix LW. I think the Spyderco Para 3 LW would be best best knife acutally, since it has all the features I like of all of the knives I just listed.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login