Advanced

HHT 0 Feather DE Blade

Posted by jasonstone20 
HHT 0 Feather DE Blade
June 23, 2020 09:08PM
These are what I want my blades to do once I sharpen them:
[www.youtube.com]

That is an HHT 0, those blades are capable of HHT 3/4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
Re: HHT 0 Feather DE Blade
June 24, 2020 09:08AM
These are both human hairs :

Think there may be a difference in being able to cut them?

I played with this in the early 2000's and quickly realized there was a huge difference in using a hair from my beard vs arm, and there are huge differences between people.

That being said, you can whittle hair off a 600 DMT, the problem most people have is they spend too much time polishing and not enough time sharpening.
June 24, 2020 10:06AM
Cliff,
That is another thing I am trying to explore:

[www.cliffstamp.com]

Like you pointed out, there is different thicknesses of hairs. I have at least three different head hair thicknesses: super thick, normal, and super thin. It really can't be used from person to person. I have tried to find a metric that will be a suitable metric, push cutting cigarette paper cross grain is the most consistent. I am not sure that this level of sharpness is even noticed in EDC use vs a knife that is sharp enough to tree-top hairs.
Unless you are trying to shave with a straight razor, I don't think it is necessary. Even among the straight razor community, they do not agree that the HHT is a useful test. I can get a blade to completely severe my head hair, in both directions (with the grain and against the grain), with a DMT #325 or Norton Fine India, no stropping. I don't think it is a useful metric. If the blade is that sharp, fine, but I don't think it is something that should be chased after. Same thing with the other 'show' sharpenings.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 11:07AM by jasonstone20.
cKc
June 24, 2020 11:04AM
1kg fishing line

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login