Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blade Magazine -- The Pros And Cons Of Paracord Handles

Posted by jasonstone20 
Blade Magazine -- The Pros And Cons Of Paracord Handles
June 27, 2020 09:04AM
I really enjoy paracord handles, especially if they have been weatherized with some type of epoxy or CA/super glue.

[blademag.com]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
me2
Re: Blade Magazine -- The Pros And Cons Of Paracord Handles
July 09, 2020 03:04PM
Interesting to hear that. I didn't think people still liked them. I've never used one for actual work, though my M2 puuko had one for a while. I've had a hankering for a CMFTW style tanto with a paracord handle for a while. I may throw one together just to see how I like it.
cKc
July 09, 2020 09:45PM
IMO they are good only for a quick handle with no tools and almost no cost, and good for nothing else.

I've made a few, coated, uncoated, etc etc.. they are useful if you have a blade blank you bought, and just want to make it into a useable knife with no tools

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
July 10, 2020 01:01PM
I mostly soak in low viscosity epoxy and vac bag... very solid and crazy tough, but sometimes slippery especially with certain types of paracord.

Recently I have been exploring ultralight handles and noticed paracord is quite heavy.

The look of nice wraps, especially with a turk's head guard, still appeals to me. There isn't a cheaper way to get a nice guard (hand stop)
cKc
July 10, 2020 01:13PM
wnease
Recently I have been exploring ultralight handles and noticed paracord is quite heavy.

have not tried it, but bamboo could be a good low weight option.

oak and teak I think are also nice lighter weight options

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
July 14, 2020 03:41PM
I don't care what Cliff says, I still like duct tape handles spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Paracord handles can look nice, and they have the benefit of being easily changed if they get thrashed from throwing. Duct tape, however, is even easier to change, and it kinda molds to your hand after awhile. It also is a little spongy which helps to absorb a bit of shock. Yes it looks trailer trashy, but meh.

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
July 14, 2020 04:54PM
Chum, good idea. That is going to be the next big thing in custom knives: duct tape handles. Hahahahaha!

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
July 14, 2020 09:41PM
jasonstone20
Chum, good idea. That is going to be the next big thing in custom knives: duct tape handles. Hahahahaha!

Don't knock it till ya try it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login