Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So I have this BK-2 and a bag of wood....

Posted by marthinus 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
So I have this BK-2 and a bag of wood....
June 24, 2012 06:51PM
Of course the bag of wood wanted to have a fight.....

[video=youtube;nfWPMPMsgOw]

[/video]

It is mainly just me fooling around so you can skip through the video as you like. Thanks for watching.

For the price I really like this knife. Though it is....THICK! Much more then I am use to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 06:52PM by marthinus.
Re: So I have this BK-2 and a bag of wood....
June 24, 2012 07:10PM
I find that design a little curios given the thickness corresponding to the short blade length. What are some of the things which would lead you to that knife over say a 7" blade pattern which would offer much more capability for wood work?
June 24, 2012 08:04PM
CliffStamp
I find that design a little curios given the thickness corresponding to the short blade length. What are some of the things which would lead you to that knife over say a 7" blade pattern which would offer much more capability for wood work?

This is one of the most popular "survival" knives sold today Cliff. People like it's combo of compact size and toughness. I have to admit that I find the short, thick, blades visually appealing.

I would pose this question to you. What would lead you to a 7" knife with that pattern over one with a 10" or greater blade? I still have a problem with these tweener sized "survival" knives. Not a problem I guess, but they are just not for me. I'd just assume throw a Junglas (still don't have one but wish I did), or 12" machete, into my pack over a 7" survival knife. There just isn't enough of a weight difference for me to want to carry that smaller knife (which will be considerably less capable of wood processing.)
June 24, 2012 08:46PM
CliffStamp

All honesty Cliff. It was just an impulse buy just to have a new toy. No real though went into this knife. However it is like a steel wedge. The thing is so thick! As it gets older and I regrind it it should be interesting smiling smiley

I mainly use a folding saw or axe for woodwork and a Cold Steel Machete (well, they are made by Lasher Tools a South African company and cost $5) for shrubs and lighter vegetation. Will get to those as time allows and post a few videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 08:47PM by marthinus.
June 24, 2012 08:47PM
I'm gonna go on a bend and put how blade length comes in my head:
up to 3.5" - folder
3.5 to 4.5" - carving, hunting, fishing, bush hippie stuff
4.5 to 6" - jack of all trades but needs a saw and someone above the intelligence of a cucumber to be sufficient
6 to 8" - popular one tool option since it can do big stuff and still be good enough for more detailed tasks
8" to 12" - baby machete? pack a folder too just in case
over 12" - chopper

As for the BK2 it's a nice modifying option. I do wonder how it stacks up in other popular tasks other than wood work. The shape is great, but the thickness might be problematic. It certainly is popular but it also is often the subject of the "Vs" threads that sprout hostility
June 24, 2012 09:06PM
styx
4.5 to 6" - ...someone above the intelligence of a cucumber to be sufficient

They may be my problem right there smiling smiley
June 25, 2012 11:54AM
The problem is that more and more ppl think a 5" blade makes 'em a lumberjack and then they complain about the chopping capabilities being bad.
June 25, 2012 06:35PM
I really feel the same about the blade length and use assosiated but it is true. People want to chop with a 5inch blade thinking it will perform the same as a 9inch blade.

I do feel that this knife will be best with an additional folding saw. It is a knife that can baton, not chop. It is not perfect but it sure is fun. Will see how my thoughts change as time goes on and get more all around camp use out of it.
June 25, 2012 08:44PM
That's what is interesting - all around work. Ppl just focus on wood like it's the only thing in the world to do with a knife
June 27, 2012 10:31AM
Would love to hear your thoughts on this:

July 27, 2012 03:32AM
Nice to see the work, do you notice the same edge retention with the steeled edge?
August 01, 2012 08:43AM
CliffStamp
Nice to see the work, do you notice the same edge retention with the steeled edge?

I would say no, the edge once steeled won't last as long as the original 'fresh' edge.

I would say once a edge has rolled the chances of it deforming again at the same point if steeled is very likely until a 'fresh' edge has been applied. This has been my experience with an Opinel as well as the BK-2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 08:46AM by marthinus.
August 01, 2012 11:06AM
Any luck on trying it with detail work?
August 01, 2012 02:33PM
styx
Any luck on trying it with detail work?

I will have to try and find a way to show the results ie pictures of the edge etc and a good medium to cut that is consistent (more so then wood) but will see if I can rack my brain a bit and come up with something.

Any advice to get me started?
August 01, 2012 02:46PM
Styx

I just thought about a medium. It is a type of cardboard used for backing cover on some books used for Risk Assessment. I have piles of it at home. It might just do the trick but all testing will have to wait until I can get back home.

Though we know cardboard has variations it is the most consistent medium and adequate quantity I have to do 3 or 4 runs.
August 01, 2012 05:34PM
Well if it works then great. I'm more interested in how easy it is to do any kind of detail work with a quarter inch thick piece of steel
August 01, 2012 06:36PM
O! Sorry styx, I misunderstood your question.

Anything specific you would like me to try?
August 02, 2012 11:22AM
Is this a dare contest? I ought to warn you, last time I was in one of those I got dared to sth that almost resulted with me getting hitched lol

Actually that cardboard material you were talking about would be an interesting test too. My personal preference of detail work testing is usually cooking and hunting related, and the BK-2 looks more like something that could skin a Buick faster than a buck
August 02, 2012 01:40PM
For anyone who hasn't seen the decades old British MOD survival knife design:

And, yes, it's about as thick as a BK2 too.
August 02, 2012 03:16PM
It's somehow funny how 0.25" thick blades with a 5" blade became popular as survival knives and almost no one mentions that old design
August 11, 2012 08:57PM
That is funny, I still gotta get out and test the blackbird sk-5 that I bought a while back ( life gets in the way, new house that has no forest to go to sucks too.) so things get more difficult. I bought a wetterlings large hunting axe recently as well, since we now use a wood furnace, I think it'll be a good investment. As for the BK-2, I own one and I think it's decent ( Though it definitely is not a fine cutter. )
DK
September 11, 2013 08:05PM
very good stuff. i still really like mine as it is one of my favorite fixed blades. the sheath i bought for it resolved my issue with it dulling against the inside of the sheath. it is still shaving sharp.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
September 11, 2013 08:12PM
If memory serves me, you like the handle so much that you used it as a template for your own knife design

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
zujostix (Youtube)
DK
September 11, 2013 08:17PM
i did. though it wasn't exact as i modified it but, i tried to keep that curvature in it as i found it to be incredibly comfortable.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-
September 20, 2013 05:39PM
I love the BK2 I have, but, there are better blades out there as far as chopping, which is mostly what I do. It doesn't get too much use anymore, but I still love the design.
Eee
September 20, 2013 07:24PM
thiswayup
For anyone who hasn't seen the decades old British MOD survival knife design:

And, yes, it's about as thick as a BK2 too.

This pdf on the kabar site acknowledges the MOD survival knife as being the origins of the Becker design (page 2 if you are interested).

Kabar pdf

Which is fair enough. IIRC the MOD was designed (down to a price) for aircrew survival kits. This makes me think that the design has two influences.
- High weight is not an issue. It will only be carried rarely and in conjunction with a small survival kit.
- Small volume is an issue. The kit has to fit into a small space; it has to leave the aircraft with the crew and ejection seat.

This means that to maximise chopping and batonning in a small package thick stock is the way to go.

And thus a trend is started. I'm sure I've read Jeff Randall saying that the ESEE 6 is far better than the 5 for most people without those specific SERE needs. There is something visually appealing about these squat stubby designs though, perhaps its the lack of choil?
September 20, 2013 07:42PM
Chum
CliffStamp

This is one of the most popular "survival" knives sold today Cliff. People like it's combo of compact size and toughness. I have to admit that I find the short, thick, blades visually appealing.

Madnum would make a fortune with that super-BK2 of his if he put in production and did the right marketing...