Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keffeler Custom

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Keffeler Custom
August 10, 2012 03:43AM
now that is a beast Cliff smiling smiley its funny when you meantioned the concern about the fatigue on that baby excalibur i ground. my blade looks like a little kid with balance in the middle compare to this beast smiling smiley i think little man like me would actually have very hard time working with such a heavy blade. and at the same time you would probably think that my blade is light smiling smiley its hard to say or guesstimate these things until one actually handle it and test it fro themself smiling smiley
anyways, congratulation to the super cool blade brother
August 10, 2012 03:47AM
You did say it was partial tang, right?
August 10, 2012 03:51AM
Chum

on the beginning of the thread cliff uploaded the pics and there you can see the way handle is put together
August 10, 2012 03:57AM
gavko
Chum

on the beginning of the thread cliff uploaded the pics and there you can see the way handle is put together

Just went back to that (thanks Gavko.) That doesn't look like what I think of as a partial tang. It looks like it travels to the end of the handle, or very nearly to the end. I guess my terminology is off.

So Cliff plans to do a comparison between the Keffeler and the cKc. Will one of your knives be in this comparison also Gavkoo?
August 10, 2012 04:00AM
Chum
gavko
Chum

Just went back to that (thanks Gavko.) That doesn't look like what I think of as a partial tang. It looks like it travels to the end of the handle, or very nearly to the end. I guess my terminology is off.

So Cliff plans to do a comparison between the Keffeler and the cKc. Will one of your knives be in this comparison also Gavkoo?

i did promise that i will make one excalibur for Cliff. it will take time, but i will do it smiling smiley O1 steel, probably same as the one i just finished yesterday from N690 because thats the design i like the most. except from thicker stock
August 10, 2012 04:13AM
gavko
Chum
gavko
Chum

i did promise that i will make one excalibur for Cliff. it will take time, but i will do it smiling smiley O1 steel, probably same as the one i just finished yesterday from N690 because thats the design i like the most. except from thicker stock

Excellent! I wonder if I can convince Cliff to add a throwing test into this comparison spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 10, 2012 04:16AM
Chum
gavko
Chum
gavko
Chum

Excellent! I wonder if I can convince Cliff to add a throwing test into this comparison spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

lmao. if he throws those knives, hes insane lol. only knives i would ever throw are cheapo bs knives smiling smiley i gotta admit that i had freaking blast throwing my cold steel magnum kukri machete lol
August 10, 2012 04:18AM
I have thrown just about all my knives, folder and fixed. Only one I haven't thrown is madnum's skinner.
August 10, 2012 04:22AM
Old Spice
I have thrown just about all my knives, folder and fixed. Only one I haven't thrown is madnum's skinner.

I knew you had some redeeming qualities Old Spice winking smiley

I've got three CS Two Handed Katana Machetes in transit to add to my throwers. I can't wait to see how much damage I can do with those things.
August 10, 2012 04:24AM
you guys are crazy smiling smiley lol
August 10, 2012 12:54PM
gavko
if he throws those knives, hes insane lol.

I didn't really think that was ever in doubt.

Chum

I've got three CS Two Handed Katana Machetes in transit to add to my throwers. I can't wait to see how much damage I can do with those things.

A challenger appears, you just need to modify your YT name a little maybe something like cChummk, and make yourself a nice duct tape hat and then you can start posting up video's.

On a more sane note, with a knife that long I am curious if you can even throw it with traditional style and get decent control. The main advantage is that since the rotation arc is so high the tolerance you need is very low on what will stick. The only thin I would suggest is that you maybe put a sharpened back edge on it which should aid in a stick even on an over rotation.
August 10, 2012 04:53PM
CliffStamp
A challenger appears, you just need to modify your YT name a little maybe something like cChummk, and make yourself a nice duct tape hat and then you can start posting up video's.
I do love all things duct tape.

CliffStamp
On a more sane note, with a knife that long I am curious if you can even throw it with traditional style and get decent control. The main advantage is that since the rotation arc is so high the tolerance you need is very low on what will stick. The only thin I would suggest is that you maybe put a sharpened back edge on it which should aid in a stick even on an over rotation.
I'm always trying to figure new designs for my chopper/batoner/thrower. Being able to throw it like a spear could solve many issues.

For instance, I would need the balance point very near the center of mass, which makes for poor chopping. However, with a long enough handle, I can suddenly have a much more weight forward chopper by simply moving my hands back. Obviously a long straight blade is nice for batoning as well.

We'll see. If I like throwing this thing like a spear I'll shift my focus in this direction. If I don't like it I'll continue on with my Froe Bowie design.
August 11, 2012 03:57AM
Cliff,

you mentionned in the video that the edge is differentially ground (different thicknesses in front of the handle, in the chopping area and towards the tip).

Is the primary grind flat ground? If so, how is the differential edge thickness achieved exactly?

-by varying the primary grind angle while keeping its width constant (more obtuse where the edge is thinner and shallower where the edge is thicker)?
-by varying the primary grind width while keeping its angle constant (wider where the edge is thinner and narrower where the edge is thicker)?
-a combination of both?

Thanks!
August 11, 2012 01:10PM
It looks like a small adjustment in the primary grind, but it is very well done, I could not see it until I looked for it to find the transition point. If you look on the Junglas I reground you can see the two sharp transition points, Dan has them fully blended on this blade.

August 11, 2012 02:29PM
I want one of those!
August 11, 2012 04:31PM
Now that's some great craftsmanship with the grind. And it is a chopping beast
August 11, 2012 06:12PM
Very interesting video, seems to be really fun to use!

Cliff Stamp
It looks like a small adjustment in the primary grind, (...)

Adjustment done in grind width or angle?

Is it flat or convex ground?

Thanks !!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 06:16PM by SVallieres.
August 11, 2012 06:59PM
CliffStamp
gavko

Chum

Why not just glue all three together and make The World's Biggest Shuriken?
August 11, 2012 07:02PM
thiswayup
CliffStamp
gavko

Chum

Why not just glue all three together and make The World's Biggest Shuriken?

lol! That's a great idea grinning smiley
August 11, 2012 07:34PM
Chum

lol! That's a great idea grinning smiley

You have to get that on video.

SVallieres

Adjustment done in grind width or angle?

Is it flat or convex ground?

It looks like a small adjustment to the primary angle, as this blade is very wide and we are talking about small differences, it would only be very slight. The only reason you can see it on the Junglas is that I have two reground sections and one at the original so you can see where one stops and the other begins.

The grind is flat.
August 11, 2012 07:48PM
That knife goes through spruce like my Chinese chef's knife goes through carrots!
August 11, 2012 08:44PM
Wow, that is one hell of a blade you have there Cliff. I can't wait to see the back end of the handle used for chopping.
August 13, 2012 04:57PM
Kitchen work :

The performance is quite high, it takes a pretty optimized kitchen knife to out perform it as noted. The only issue of course is can you handle the weight.
August 13, 2012 05:14PM
I'm trying to imagine what my wife would say if she found me preparing dinner with one of my big choppers... something in the WTF category I'm thinking smiling smiley
August 13, 2012 06:05PM
That is really easy to avoid, you just do something far more extreme on a regular basis so that looks perfectly normal in comparison. Try juggling them for example, or set up a target in the living room and casually throw them at it while watching TV. Or tell her you have a new thing you want to try and ask her if she will place an apple on her head as you are almost 100% certain your accuracy is dead on.

It is all about perspective.
August 13, 2012 06:44PM
CliffStamp
That is really easy to avoid, you just do something far more extreme on a regular basis so that looks perfectly normal in comparison. Try juggling them for example, or set up a target in the living room and casually throw them at it while watching TV. Or tell her you have a new thing you want to try and ask her if she will place an apple on her head as you are almost 100% certain your accuracy is dead on.

It is all about perspective.

I think I'm exhausting my crazy behaviour options. She was recently worried that I was going to accidently shoot her with my new blowgun winking smiley
August 14, 2012 12:07PM
As long as it was an accident it is all excusable.

A little more chopping :

August 14, 2012 12:24PM
cliff can you teach me chopping? lol. man, monster performance. i need to practice more smiling smiley a lot more...
August 14, 2012 03:37PM
Wow, can't wait to see the more powerful grip used.
August 14, 2012 07:04PM
Gav don't also forget that your blades tend to be lighter and if I were to judge from your vids you're not a really big guy. Cliff is a sasquatch to put it gently, so there are also probably some different mechanics involved in all of that.