Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cold Steel Heavy Machete

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cold Steel Heavy Machete
August 24, 2012 02:39AM
A little humor to start :

and :

Some specifics :

-14.5" blade
-4.25" at its widest
-0.075" thick
-weighs 650 grams
-1055 carbon steel
-polypropylene handle
-single bevel, 18-20 dps
-extreme blunt, not apexed'ed

A bit of press from Cold Steel : [www.coldsteel.com]

CS
The heaviest machete we make. The blade widens dramatically toward the tip for maximum cutting and chopping power. Ideal for those big tough jobs where you need all the help you can get.

This design with the extreme forward weight is designed to be a heavy chopper. The major problem however is that the initial edge comes very dull. Not only does it make it impossible to cut light grasses, and very difficult to do utility work (rope, cord, etc.). It also has a major impact on wood chopping as it is more of a blunt impact tool.

The low sharpness makes the blade break the wood apart rather than cut it. The penetration is low, the brute force of the impact is felt in hand, there is a high chance of glancing, and to make any progress at all the wood has to be well supported or otherwise it will just be batted around.

In short :

-light grasses, complete fail
-light brush, needs high speed/lots of effort
-woods, heavy fracture, needs lot of force
-handle is very slick
-index finger notch is too small to be useful

However there is potential there for some modifications :

-texture the handle
-enlarge the choil
-sharpen the edge, reduce the angle
-round the spine

And of course if time/desire permits add a primary grind.
Re: Cold Steel Heavy Machete
August 24, 2012 11:36AM
Video :

August 24, 2012 12:49PM
With the initial edge it's about as effective as a bag of rocks
August 24, 2012 12:59PM
The amusing part :

Cold Steel
Each Cold SteelĀ® machete comes with a good utility edge which, with just a little work, can be made hair shaving sharp.

I don't think that qualifies as an edge let alone a "good utility" one unless the utility is beating things apart. That was an extremely amusing time chopping up wood. I actually meant to turn it around and use the spine as a contrast.
August 24, 2012 01:49PM
Cliff.

I believe these are made by Lasher tools from South Africa. It seems most of the things with an edge comming from them have a not to great edge....
August 24, 2012 03:40PM
Lets be honest here, cold steel machetes are basically flat stock with a handle.
August 25, 2012 08:41PM
Here is the machete with the following modifications :

-and reduced to 13-14 dps
-rough sharpened (it won't take a fine polish initially)
-handle is checkered

August 27, 2012 04:09AM
Quite the difference in performance really, though I can't help but be disappointed that it was considered alright to sell that machete in such a condition as it was, so much so I am further offput from buying cold steel blades in general. ( Though their warranty is my prime deterrent. )
August 27, 2012 12:38PM
For awhile Cold Steel's low sharpness was always defended on price. The frank reality is that this is likely true but not for the reasons that people think. If you watch the video's you will see that the machetes are handled very roughly and if they were sharpened then the edges would get severely beat up. It is likely a simple decision to ship an edge which is not finished rather than one which is finished to a high sharpness and then has a number of dents/dings from rough handling.

The problem is that as xxo and a number of others have argued, there are machetes in the same price range which have fully finished edges and in fact come very sharp. Now you are looking at Cold Steel's position and what do you have left, they are doing less work, being sloppy in the handling and expecting the same price - that is a bit of a stretch.

The warranty has always been an issue especially since they make the worlds "sharpest, strongest" knives.
August 27, 2012 04:37PM
My Cold Steel Katana Machetes came decently sharp but with no consistency. All three that I have bought had very noticeable, and different, levels of sharpness. All could slice printer paper, but with varying degrees of smoothness and ease.

My dad has bought several Marbles Machetes and all of them arrived razor sharp with a nice polished edge. Dad usually buys custom knives, and he is really picky about sharpness. Blades that I might consider to be sharp he might not. We were in agreement on the Marbles Machetes... very sharp out of the box every time... he still sharpens them right when he gets them anyway, but he does that with all of his knives.

Marbles Machetes are generally cheaper than CS Machetes btw.
September 05, 2012 01:51AM
I have used this a few times, sharpened it a few times and have seen the performance increase in terms of edge retention and ease of sharpening. It is however going to be a curious blade to apply a primary grind simple given the extremely wide blade which is not platen friendly. Even going very light on the slack belt part, it is very difficult to get any metal removal without enough pressure to produce a bevel angle similar to the existing. I may simply keep this as my machete to pack/carry for both very rough work and as well work for friends who want a blade but are not going to be discriminatory. However I would still argue even in that case, especially in that case, a primary bevel would be of use for ease of sharpening. I may trying working it with a flap wheel as well, or even a file if I feel a bit masochistic. I would like to meet someone who likes that handle style though.
September 14, 2012 07:57AM
September 16, 2012 11:34AM
Aranyik
[youtu.be]

Cold Steel Machete... dull in any language.

WTF? What would be the cost difference of a sharp machete? They aren't sold at Walmart or any other store that dictates a ridiculous price point. They seem to market themselves as the machete for the discerning machete user, yet punishes that user.
September 16, 2012 12:53PM
With power equipment, it would be less than five minutes labor and very little power/abrasive costs to sharpen a machete, but they would have to change how they handle them to care for the edge.

The bigger issue is that the grind them way too hot when applying the primary bevel, Martindale does the same thin. They just excuse it with cost and most people accept it. The curious thing is that a lot of people believe the edge will be weaker if it is fully sharpened so CS is likely playing on that as well.

If you watch CS's sharpening video it is fairly amusing as they really imply it is only a few minutes work with a file or stone to get the machete extremely sharp, and they make a few light passes which would do very little to the blade.

They do have some unique patterns though and there are a few people who resell the machetes with the edges (and handles) cleaned up.
me2
September 16, 2012 01:23PM
I must be one of the few who like that handle style, though it's on the much lighter panga pattern. I also think it's ridiculous that they say a little work will bring the edge to shaving sharpness.

Even more puzzling is the evidently common notion that a dull blade will cut longer and be more durable. Honestly, wtf people. Why put a bevel on it at all? It would never need sharpening then.
September 16, 2012 01:56PM
me2
Even more puzzling is the evidently common notion that a dull blade will cut longer and be more durable. Honestly, wtf people. Why put a bevel on it at all? It would never need sharpening then.

I have seen this from when I first started writing and noting that some blades were very easy to chip. It was very common to have people comment that the reason that a knife/machete chipped was because it was

-too sharp
-grit was too high
-used a stone, should have been a file

Curiously, none of those guys understood the influence between sharpness and cutting ability and the main problem is that I believe their experience comes from blades honed at too low an angle, or that they were using edges which were heavily burnt and then they filed it or used a coarse stone and the stability increased and they concluded it was the stone/file specifically rather than removing the weakened metal.

And of course the majority are just repeating something that someone else said.
September 30, 2012 01:16PM
styx
With the initial edge it's about as effective as a bag of rocks

What?!?

Doesn't CS make the strongest and SHARPEST knives in the world?
September 30, 2012 10:24PM
Its a machete though so it doesn't count.