Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atoma 1200

Posted by CliffStamp 
Atoma 1200
May 30, 2013 05:34PM
After a not so positive experience with the DMT 6-micron m-x-f : [www.cliffstamp.com]

I picked up an Atoma 1200 (13 micron), this is 5X magnification :

and this is 50X :

A little work :

edges :

and :

produces :

and :

produces :

In each image from the bottom up :

-coarse benchstone
-fine benchstone
-1200 Atoma

The sharpening time is only a minute total for each knife for the fine benchstone and 1200 Atoma (total, 30s each) and a minute for the shaping on the coarse.

In short :

-the Atoma feels extremely aggressive, I would never have estimated it is a 1200 grit stone by how it feels
-it feels far more aggressive than the 600 DMT, this is simply the isolated pressure points of the clusters
-it is very consistent in the scratch pattern, no spazzing of extremes as seen on the m-x-f DMT
-it very quickly refines (polishes) the edge left by the fine benchstone

This was just a very quick/dirty evaluation on :

-feel of the stone
-scratch pattern depth/consistency
-speed of cut

In short, initial impressions are very positive, this is supposed to be a 12 micron stone, doesn't seem to far off, cuts well and consistently. In order to do a more complete evaluation though I would want to have a smooth polish and then use this to back sharpen :

-1000 grit (14 micron)
-3000 grit (5 micron)

The see where the Atoma lies, I don't think it will refine the scratch pattern of the 1000 though because what you get from waterstones is finer than the micron level because you get an averaging of the particles which are broken/released.

I also cleaned up an old knife :

to :

-took out the recurve
-brought the edge back
-slimmed out the point

That handle is just pine pressed on with gorilla glue, it is months old, gets thrown in the sink to wash and still hasn't come apart. It is the most trivial way I have seen to make a functional handle, you can literally make one in a couple of minutes.

Album : [s7.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 06:38PM by CliffStamp.
Re: Atoma 1200
May 30, 2013 06:32PM
Am I seeing things right in that off the Atoma the scratch is more refined but the edge is more jagged?
me2
May 30, 2013 06:33PM
Way to kill my motivation as I was just about to do another Wa handle on the 2nd Old Gyuto blade. Why spend a couple of hours. That really looks like a neat knife to use.
May 30, 2013 06:40PM
Cashmore
Am I seeing things right in that off the Atoma the scratch is more refined but the edge is more jagged?

I think you are looking at that the wrong way around I was having that issue, the atoma is the top edge in the pictures.
May 30, 2013 06:54PM
Cashmore

The Atoma is the top one, the scratch pattern is refined and the edge is straighter, but only slightly, but again consider this is 30 s on the stone, that is 15 s per side. This isn't the limit of the stone, it is just a quick check on a few things, mainly I wanted to see if it has the same issues as the DMT with irregular scratches.

me2
That really looks like a neat knife to use.

It is extremely thin and light, cuts exceptionally well. I keep the edge between 7-8 dps usually, freehand, and then with a micro-bevel. I then just reset the micro-bevel 3-4 times until the edge has visible damage and then I regrind it, this is usually only a couple of times a year.
May 30, 2013 07:03PM
Ok...makes much more sense now. Thank you!
May 30, 2013 10:29PM
Where did you buy it at?
May 31, 2013 05:08AM
LeeValley

Note that the Atoma plates are just a thin layer of steel which is just taped to an aluminum plate. Some places will sell you just the top plate itself, and they also make a more basic product which is diamond on even thinner copper sheet : [www.fine-tools.com] .

I did some more searching yesterday, there are very few problems reported with these stones, the only common one is that if you leave them wet you can cause damage to the tape/bond .
May 31, 2013 06:55PM
As an update this is with the Spyderco Air :

-edge bevel is 6-8 dps

From the bottom up they are :

-edge flattened after sharpening, just worked the primary a bit with a coarse/cheap benchstone
-1000 grit King
-3000 grit Henckels
-8000 grit Henckels
-1200 Atoma
-newspaper

A few notes :

-the 3000/8000 stones do very little
-the 8000 stone doesn't even darken at all, it mainly burnishes
-the 1200 Atoma is slightly more coarse than the 1000 grit king
-the newsprint does nothing but put random harsh scratches on the edge

In short, the Atoma is behaving as expected, very nice finish, it would be nice if they made an higher grit one as this one is still too coarse to sharpening ceramics will I would assume.

As a surprising note, this steel is extremely hard to grind, it ignored the 8k stone, I could not remember ever seeing that before and took out the 10V blade from Wilson (62.5 HRC) and the 8k Henckels waterstone easily abraded it, but the Air isn't bother by it as all, I might as well be using it on the plastic plate cover.

These are spec'ed at 62-64 HRC but more important HSS have an extremely low retained austenite and consistent micro-structure due to the high tempering which can be exceeded by proper low tempering in cold work steels - but is is much more complicated and costly to do. I am going to get a piece of M2 and see how it grinds on the same stone.
May 31, 2013 07:01PM
is that air an easy knife to sharpen or is it finicky? i have been thinking about getting the original Gayle Bradley but I'm not sure I can handle another difficult blade!
May 31, 2013 07:29PM
If this is representative :

-use high quality stones
-keep them flat, clean and lapped
-ideally use diamond or CBN

As noted, this knife simply ignores stones which grind 10V from Wilson.
May 31, 2013 08:35PM
Mark a
is that air an easy knife to sharpen or is it finicky? i have been thinking about getting the original Gayle Bradley but I'm not sure I can handle another difficult blade!

I have that original Gayle Bradley, and it can be maintained using the Spyderco ceramics, granted I don't let it go too dull. I have used a DMT XC, a couple of times on it, but it didn't take too long. I have experimented with certain grits of sandpaper, and it is resistant to the higher grits.
May 31, 2013 08:43PM
Price_is_Right
Mark a

I have that original Gayle Bradley, and it can be maintained using the Spyderco ceramics, granted I don't let it go too dull. I have used a DMT XC, a couple of times on it, but it didn't take too long. I have experimented with certain grits of sandpaper, and it is resistant to the higher grits.

How do you like the knife in general, comfort, carry, use.? If you lost it would you replace it?

Thanks for the information.
May 31, 2013 09:04PM

How do you like the knife in general, comfort, carry, use.? If you lost it would you replace it?

Thanks for the information.

I like it general. It is one of the few hollow grind knives that I like; it cuts pretty good, especially on wood in comparison to other Spyderco's: Delica FFG and Para 2. It is thinner behind the edge than those 2, but it will bind more if you are cutting thick cardboard than the FFG's. It can be a little weighty, but it is manageable at a little over 5 oz.; I notice it less if I wear thicker stiffer fabric jeans. I drawback is that there is no jimping on the choil area, so have to be careful, but I think Mr. Bradley intended a firm grip, when grabbing near the choil, and it does work well with gloves. Cliff noted the proud protruding stainless liners on the Air version becoming abrasive and I haven't noticed it on the Bradley, but your mileage may vary. I find it more hand filling than a Para 2, and more comfortable if I am cutting into a piece of wood. The liner lock is stiff to engage and can be abrasive, but over time it has broken in and is easier to disengage. The action is pretty smooth, it opens fast. Also, the edge bevel is convex. If I lost it, I would buy another one. Also, if you have any more questions, just ask?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2013 06:29PM by CliffStamp.
June 01, 2013 06:30PM
Here is the 8000 grit waterstone :

See the differences in the sides, one side was used on the Air and the other on the Wilson 10V. Next time I am going to soak it before hand to see if that makes a difference.
June 02, 2013 10:26AM
Atoma sheet replacement :

1200 DMT : [www.cliffstamp.com] .
June 02, 2013 02:33PM
What are the reports on the durability of the Atoma plates? If anyone knows.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login