Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection

Posted by me2 
Re: The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection
November 18, 2017 12:18PM
Yes, he is quite creative, he just doesn’t seem to know what it is he’s supposed to achieve; i.e., he has no theory to apply practically to attain a sharp edge.

The spinning cup is the more “gentle” of his devices. Haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2017 12:18PM by Wolfgang.
November 18, 2017 10:30PM
That is a very Loony Toons ACME contraption style machine hes built.
May 14, 2018 09:55AM
This video is painful to watch, Burrfection sharpening and using a straight razor:
[youtu.be]

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
May 18, 2018 05:02PM
Jason,

As usual when every a knife person sharpens a razor the razor community comes out to say "dood, iz rzor knot nif!" . Please don't be like Mike, if you have any issues, state them, being specific.

I like the dry shave at the end, no idea why you would do that.
May 19, 2018 06:28AM
Cliff,
Sorry, I assumed that it was obvious what was wrong. The razors were not sharp enough for a decent shave. I understand that is a subjective term, but those razors were barely arm hair shaving sharp. The sharpening on the stones didn't really do much, not enough work was done on any stone, plus edge trailing only passes causes a burr/wire edge.foil. Also, it helps to strop the razor. When he shaved his goatee, you can see the razor tugging.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
May 19, 2018 08:57AM
I mean using a hanging strop with plain linen and plain leather. He used a pasted strop, which helped the shave somewhat, but the razors were not as sharp as they should be. There is a ton of tugging and pulling, you can see the skin on his face move when the razor is used.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 09:01AM by jasonstone20.
May 19, 2018 06:47PM
Jason,

In general. this is one of the few issues that you want to have a different look when comparing knives to razors, the higher standard of sharpness necessary and that it has to be a high polish, a sharp and coarse edge won't shave well, but as a knife could be excellent.
May 21, 2018 06:00AM
Cliff,
I think this is what he was trying to accomplish:
[youtu.be]

Sharpening a new razor to get it ready for a shave. Unfortunately, the brand of razors he chose were inexpensive Chinese razors ($10-20), and while perfectly decent razors, can shave just as well as a more expensive razor, they tend not to come as sharp as they could be. They basically need a full sharpening. Even the expensive razors need to be sharpened a little and stropped before use when new, like in this video.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 21, 2018 02:55PM
Unfortunately, he is popular enough that it is unlikely a message is going to come across. I have commented a few times on issues and had no response. The razor community is almost hostile to the knife community which is kind of odd really, all he has to do is make a little minor change and he should be good to go. A razor is just a knife after all, it is only recently we had the kind of abrasive versatility that people laud as necessary. In fact it is likely now there are still lots of places that just have one stone for sharpening, knife or razor.
May 21, 2018 09:19PM
Cliff,
I feel the same. There are a lot of razor people that started on knives. I just lurk on razor forums and watch razor videos because I like the process of honing a razor. I sharpen a straight razor just for fun, I don't shave and have a full beard.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 24, 2018 07:30AM
It seems to be a law that any closed knit community develops that kind of hostile attitude towards people who are "not of the body" unless they really make an effort to do otherwise, acknowledging the fact that it is almost inevitable. It is a kind of natural behavior of people to group bond against outsiders, even over trivial differences. Studies have been done on kids for example at camps, just picking people at random into two "teams" and very quickly the teams become hostile towards each other, and they will describe the other team members very different than the people on their teams - all the while of course, the people were distributed just at random. The main argument for this is evolutionary history. In the deep past this was very useful behavior, now, maybe not so much.
May 24, 2018 08:21AM
Cliff,
True. I have found some razor forums to be quite friendly, while others quite hostile.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login