The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection

Posted by me2 
Re: The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection
April 06, 2014 10:16AM
That made me cringe.
April 06, 2014 12:50PM
Mark: Me too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
April 06, 2014 01:11PM
See if you can catch the extremely subtle switch in this video :

[www.youtube.com]
April 06, 2014 01:47PM
What switch?

Also off topic but I like when yt videos just show up as a link rather than an actual video. The page loads better.
me2
April 06, 2014 04:07PM
That was subtle.
cKc
April 06, 2014 04:16PM
lol.. not super subtle when the scissors are over 30cm from where she put hers down.. thats really funny. I can see how it might be missed if you dont expect it to happen

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
April 16, 2014 12:21AM
This thread made me die a little inside
June 01, 2014 05:54AM
Act of force, like said in the apex video.

Force + material vs material.

All comes down to.... Use the right tool for the job.

Sadly, putty knives work good for so many things. haha.

I think the worse part about sharpening is that there is so much bad information out there.
To somebody like me who is not very good at sharpening, it just discourages me to even bother.

I can get my knives sharp enough for me, but i'm not always happy with my edge retention.

Lack of good stones makes a huge difference as well.
The only good reliable stone i have is a ceramic stone, which is far to fine for my s30v blade, but works great on my 8cr13 blade.

I'm also not a sit down and spend hours sharpening guy. I dont need a super polished ege.
If I did, i'd buy an edge pro apex, but I don't care that much to need a 700 dollar sharpening tool.

(and no i'm not buying the WE.. I got a lansky. It does the same effing thing)
June 01, 2014 06:19AM
Lack of good stones should be a pretty rare problem to have, if the Norton Economy Stone thread and Cliff's positive experiences with cheap silicon carbide stones are any indication.

Without looking very hard, I found AU$9 8"x2" combination Silicon carbide stones in my local large hardware chains (which are known rip-offs for their products). Hours of grinding on these is going to take away a large fraction of your knife, SiC is an effective abrasive. It also breaks down to a fine abrasive and if I slow right down on the fine side, let it clog up a bit, and go through some thorough de-burring, I can get consistently close to push-cutting phonebook paper, and sometimes achieve it.

I think the two main pitfalls in sharpening are losing patience before fully apexing a knife, and letting burrs form and/or not getting rid of them properly. If you can consistently apex and remove or avoid a burr, you will always have a sharp knife that lasts better than most others'.
June 03, 2014 06:15PM
This is an interesting video :

-I assume the "paper" edge has a lower angle than the "penny" edge

-I like how he uses a $50 bill as his source of paper, that is how you test sharpness "on the streetz"

-What is with the odd motion he uses on the "dragon" stone

-Is that really the level of sharpness and how he sharpens those fairly expensive knives?

This is for Chris :

"Dragon Stones are made in Kyoto by the foremost manufacturer of water stones and are the finest available. They are fused from particles of Green Carbide abrasive. Green Carbide particles come from the center of the melt in the kiln and are the best abrasives for sharpening A2 HSS blades."

Bet you didn't know A2 was a high speed steel, or that green carbides are the best abrasives.

I have been soaking my stones in food coloring (green of course) to make them Dragon stones.
June 03, 2014 06:36PM
That paper cutting edge was crap..

Also is he a drinker? Or has he had a stroke that anyone knows of? That is the first time I have seen him and my first impression is that he is a bit unwell.
June 03, 2014 07:43PM
Mike Snody is one of the few people who's videos and commentary I make an effort to avoid simply because I like his designs and don't want them ruined by the maker.

Why paper cutting is used as a benchmark is beyond me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 03, 2014 10:36PM
CliffStamp

This is for Chris :

"Dragon Stones are made in Kyoto by the foremost manufacturer of water stones and are the finest available. They are fused from particles of Green Carbide abrasive. Green Carbide particles come from the center of the melt in the kiln and are the best abrasives for sharpening A2 HSS blades."

Bet you didn't know A2 was a high speed steel, or that green carbides are the best abrasives.

I have been soaking my stones in food coloring (green of course) to make them Dragon stones.

ARGH WOW, that statement/marketing makes me feeel like this.

video: [www.youtube.com]

me2
June 04, 2014 03:51AM
I couldn't watch it past a couple of minutes. That first knife he sharpened on the belt sander must have had no initial edge.
June 04, 2014 06:39AM
Mark,

If you watch Snody's other videos, he does have a sort of "Captain Jack Sparrow" to his mannerisms. How much of it is Snody vs $nody is anyones guess until you meet him outside and watch what happens when the cameras are off.

--

The thing I respect about Snody is that he is extremely clear that he is about making money. He has a video where he responds to a "hater" and he clearly explains why he does what he does because it creates money.

If you look at for example his Boss knife, there is nothing about that which requires anything beyond very basic skill, but yet he has high demand - why? He has an extremely forceful marketing plan and he devotes significant time and energy to it.

The interesting thing about Snody is that he is upfront about doing this, a lot of other people are not and even seem to almost be ashamed of doing it or at least try to pretend they are not.
June 04, 2014 02:47PM
To his credit, I'm sure he made a fair bit of money from his Benchmade designs.

Resident Emerson Fanboi

June 16, 2014 01:54PM
Seems ok, but the logic on scandi is just argh

[www.youtube.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
zujostix (Youtube)
June 16, 2014 02:05PM
This one is amusing for a number of reasons :

He doesn't use micro-bevels (never explains why) but then proceeds to elevate the edge angle to cut off the burr and he does enough work to produce a visible bevel let alone micro bevel.

Attempts to do fine paper cutting, fails to cut the paper and then notes that you don't need a razor sharpness "in the field" because the sharpness will be lost too fast.

The amount of work he does on the stones is also extremely high, had he actually used micro-bevels effectively the sharpening would be < 2 minutes.
me2
June 16, 2014 06:16PM
When did he fail to cut the paper? I had to quit watching his stuff. His voice was irritating. These videos have made me want a Mora though.
June 16, 2014 06:24PM
He cuts it for awhile, makes a comment about slivers and attempts to cut it cross grain as he was doing parallel before.
me2
June 21, 2014 05:54AM
Is it wrong of me to think that all the people I see on youtube going to really fine grits and then barely cutting paper are just wasting their time and money? I don't want to post any specific videos, but searching for sharpening on youtube will give you a few examples of what I'm talking about.
June 21, 2014 06:50AM
The first problem I have with this video is the knife itself. LOOK HOW LOW THAT PRIMARY BEVEL IS!!!! I watched the Jacklore 2x4 destruction video. You can do that with a Canadian Ground knife. This low bevel, saber-grind, thing the bushcraft people have going on right now is just too stupid. It isn't hard to figure out. Take two knives of about the same size, one ffg and one with a Bushcraft Bevel (I'm going to call it that from now on) and cut anything that goes deeper than the primary bevel. You'll instantly be able to see and feel which one cuts better. I hate this trend. HATE IT!!!

The second problem I have is the use of the term "scary sharp" followed by cutting notebook paper. Unless you are making clean cuts through the thickness of the notebook paper and turning it into two thinner pieces of notebook paper, you can't demonstrate "scary sharp" with it. Maybe that knife is "scary sharp" but you can't tell from that demo.

Not a big fan of spitting on your stones either (I know there is a British joke in here somewhere.)

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 21, 2014 06:52AM
So that is a "no" vote from chum.

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
June 21, 2014 07:29AM
me2
Is it wrong of me to think that all the people I see on youtube going to really fine grits and then barely cutting paper are just wasting their time and money?

Even some stone sellers do this, as for is it wasteful - in many cases they get knives sharp by accident and then need the very fine stones because the damage they are doing in sharpening is competing with the sharpening itself. Is it necessary, no, but they don't seem to be inclined to develop the skill or knowledge otherwise.
June 27, 2014 05:31PM
Mears :

It is curious to me how someone as educated as Mears presents how to sharpen a knife which is problematic on so many levels.

-using 16 passes on a 800 grit stone is not guaranteed to apex the edge

If the edge is not apexed, and he makes no evaluation of it, going beyond that to finer stones does nothing at all. Just imagine if you approached shelter building with that same kind of viewpoint of not understanding what is going on and just doing things by rote / numbers without an actual goal.

-at the 1200 grit stone he notes that you keep going until you can't see the light reflecting

This should be done with the starting stone, though it is better here than never doing it. But if you did not apex the knife in the first step this is going to take a LONG time here.

-the nagura isn't used to generate a slurry to make the abrasive that cuts

The stone itself is abrasive, nagura means fixing stone and is used for that purpose. If the nagura is being the slurry stone then why not simply use the nagura as the sharpening stone and forget the very expensive high grit waterstone.

Ok the next part is a bit of a nit pick but he notes that the leather removes the almost molecular sized pieces of metal on the edge which may be there from the stone. The burrs on steel are not molecular in size which is about a nanometer, they are about the size of a cell which is a micron.

Now if this seems minor ir would be similar to saying that the temperature of fire is a few degrees, that the United States is a few miles wide, or that you need to burn a thousand cords of wood a week to stay warm in the winter.

-the amount of force and passes he uses on plain leather is going to round over the edge and seriously degrades the edge off of the fine stone providing it was sharpened properly anyway.

-using the glass to burnish the edge after doing all of this makes no sense

Again, the main issue I have with this is how little study he has given it as what he is doing is just repeated a haphazard bunch of things from various sources, many of which do not belong together.

As an aside, he uses an extreme amount of force on those waterstones and there is no way the edge gets that mirror polish as quickly as it does in the video.
June 30, 2014 04:51PM
Mears :

I am getting convinced that these kinds of videos from Mears are more from reading than doing :

-there is no file in an axe sharpening kit
-how does a circular action produce a convex edge
-the amount of force he uses is extremely high
-water stones on a axe head without another step = dull axe immediately

But maybe he covers all of this and this is just a snip taken out of context.
me2
June 30, 2014 06:12PM
Why do water stones on an axe equal dull axe?
June 30, 2014 06:41PM
Corrosion.

But again, maybe the next part of this is where he talks about that.
June 30, 2014 07:12PM
He has an axe care video where he coats the head in gun oil, so he may dry and coat right after sharpening. He also mentions in one of his videos that he carries a dc3/4 for all of his edge maintanence in the field. It also looks like he is using a lot of pressure by how much flexing the table is doing. But you can't see the ground so...

And personally, i'll use a circular motion when convexion cause it allows me to relaxe my wrists while at the same time keeping a controlled amount of slop. Not saying i can't do this with out the circles but they help me.
me2
June 30, 2014 07:42PM
So how is that prevented in carbon steel knives?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login