Posted by me2 
Re: The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection
November 28, 2014 08:09AM
There are some real jems in this one:
The power of a leather strop
November 28, 2014 11:42AM
me2

I think plate martensite may be what you get, no matter how little carbon is in solution, assuming enough for a cutting tool in the first place.

It seems to be, see for example "The Driving Force for Lath and Plate Martensite and the Activation Energy for Isothermal Martensite in Ferrous Alloys" where they talk about the mechanisms of slip vs twinning.

Now what you see often is C% related to lathe percentage, but of course there is a direct relationship between C% and Ms point as well so that might be a case of mistaking correlation for causation.

Hence why high alloy steels, even with low C% don't have the toughness of the same C% in low alloy grades, carbide volumes not helping either of course.
December 03, 2014 12:27AM
Don't know really what to say about this one.
$5 edge
December 03, 2014 12:21PM
Wow. So many statements that start of right but end wrong. I can see why guys like this think Dr. Wako is and expert and refer to him in their videos.
King waterstone sharpening
December 03, 2014 12:49PM
I can see why he turned comments off. Applying a 20 dps edge to a Mora is going to seriously freak out a lot of people.

Wako sharpens an edge to an extent which can easily cut paper and that impresses a lot of people, and he does actually use his knives, you have to give him credit for that. A lot of people doing sharpening videos do so with knives that are not as sharp and/or rarely use them.
December 03, 2014 01:18PM
I understand that and like Dr. Wako's videos, but he is by no means an expert sharpener, and he has plateaud as far as technique, which to me, is a same because he has great passion for sharpening and great potential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 01:21PM by jasonstone20.
December 06, 2014 01:22PM
Okay this one can be moved in the other thread, as I have a bit of a bias against small stone jig sharpeners and wranglerstar but [www.youtube.com]

They talk poop about diamond stones (to an extreme stance), seem to have interesting distinctions about what a single and double bevel is, advocate the application of micro-bevels...and 21 dps, as an all round edge, seriously?
I do see the "too hard to sharpen" argument both IRL and on forums which always confuses me...that seems like something a steel with bigger defects would have, not one that's too hard.

December 11, 2014 08:43PM
This is a perfect way to kill the edge.
Stropping
December 14, 2014 01:41PM
Another attempt to make something dull, sharp.
[www.youtube.com]
December 15, 2014 05:53AM
jasonstone20
Another attempt to make something dull, sharp.
[www.youtube.com]

You posted that one before, it's a pretty tedious video, and he gets pretty lousy results. He says quick and dirty, and I know he has to manoeuvre with a camera in his way, but he takes a long time for what he ends up with.

It's always surprising to me the people that don't seem to understand what is happening while sharpening, the guy goes by CutleryLover of all names.
December 15, 2014 11:19AM
Did I? Oops. It came up on my youtube list. Head injury moment!
December 15, 2014 06:20PM
December 15, 2014 06:36PM
I was ok with what he was saying, though there was some lack of detail, until he noted that after all the multiple stones, 200,1000,4000, 8000, 12000 he then noted you should finish on a ceramic rod. If that is the end goal he could have stopped after the 1000 easily with no concern about like totally jacking up the knife.
December 15, 2014 06:44PM
To me, there were just minor bits of incorrect information and assumptions, nothing critical, but the premise that you need a 12k stone to have a sharp knife isn't one that is I subscribe to. There was a bottle of BreakFree CLP on the counter too, I don't think you want to use thank on knives you where eating with.
With videos like these, I have a hard time figuring the place to put them, when the actions are right but the info is wrong, or vice-versa. It could go in either one, depending on you experience and perapective on sharpeing. I found it funny that they were trying to be professional, and his friends parents come home with the dogs in the middle of it, and the whole vibe changed. Also, I have watched so many sharpening videos, I think I have reached a saturation point, and I am getting hypercritical.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 06:54PM by jasonstone20.
December 16, 2014 01:44PM
Have you ever thought about a mystery science theater 3K style riffing on sharpening videos? A lot could be learned

December 16, 2014 02:34PM
with my mixed luck at sharpening, was thinking of video of me trying to sharpen then see which thread it would go in.
scott
December 16, 2014 02:38PM
I like the MST3K idea!
December 16, 2014 04:57PM
lol Scott

I used to be able to "sharpen" , but since trying to finish on stones (rather than stropping) I have had mixed results too.
December 16, 2014 05:31PM
Wnease, what kind of stones are you trying to finish on?

When you first start trying Cliff's method, I really suggest after apexing (no light reflecting) to finish on diamonds or Spyderco like ceramics.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
December 17, 2014 04:47AM
tried finishing on 320/400/600/1200 diamond plates, 1000x waterstone, 4 different arkansas, ceramic rod, 4000x imanishi

Shaping with grinder/220SiC/140Atoma

different knives, different results, started hopping around with the media to "feed my intuition"

For the blades it worked on, great results/ On most I ended up stropping again

I suspect it's a geometry issue, varying starting shape means varying ending shape for a given amount of work. On one folder I worked for 20 minutes with an ezelap coarse (brand new) and never got close to an edge@15dps.

Also I might be working with badly burned edges in some cases or bad ht

The ultralight pressure throws me off too; reminds me of playing trumpet with "no-pressure technique"

While it has been a little frustrating it has been rewarding even in the failure... tastes like... learning something very worthwhile
December 17, 2014 05:01AM
Ok, yeah, I don't do extensive reprofiling...I just tend to sharpen a blade at whatever angle it's at, which is why these days I'm particular about knowing that when I buy. The few times I have lowered edge angle, it takes a lot more work, and the first sharpening is never as good.

Burnt edges can be a pain too. With my Spyderco Super Blue, I'm convinced it was burnt...wasn't until I sharpened it like 3-4 times that I got a good edge on it.

The pressure thing is key though, especially with the waterstones . What I used to think was light is no where near light.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
me2
January 03, 2015 07:30PM
After seeing how many people say they can't get a knife to hold a shaving edge more than 10' in cardboard, I am firmly convinced that, based on posts on various forums and youtube, most people don't accomplish their cutting tasks because of their sharpening ability, but in spite of it. It's actually a testament to the high skill many people have in doing whatever they're sharpening their knives to do.
January 03, 2015 08:29PM
me2
... most people don't accomplish their cutting tasks because of their sharpening ability, but in spite of it.

What do you feel causes the extreme reporting of high carbide steel knives?
me2
January 04, 2015 10:14AM
Extremely low or extremely high? Extremely low, I think they just have a bad sharpening job. There is a burr, it was never actually apexed, it was over stressed by stropping to try to get rid of a tenacious burr, edge was overheated by power sharpening, high angle used (22 dps +), etc.

Extremely high? They got the sharpening right, or their perception of high performance is somewhat skewed.
January 04, 2015 10:33AM
The high performance part is what I find curious as they often report performance they find impressive and either imply or even state that they can not do it without high carbide volume, but what they are talking about isn't actually increase by high carbide volume at all. Here is an example :

[www.youtube.com]
January 04, 2015 11:56AM
Some of it is the language. High-can be positive; carbides-good for steel right?; steel-better than wood, and iron, strong. Put all of them together and you a have a phrase like super-duper-special. On the other hand, Low-can be negative; carbide-well there is less of a good thing, so thats bad, right?; steel-but with two negatives attached, so it can't be better.

Just ask someone what a High Speed Steel is. High Speed used to mean State of the Art. But if you look up what a High Speed Steel is, why exactly to the layman would that be effective in an EDC knife over another steel?
January 04, 2015 12:55PM
Honestly, I am starting to think it is one of two reasons.
Atongue sticking out smileyeople do not actually use their knives, at least enough to gain any insight into its characteristics.
Btongue sticking out smileyeople know so little of how to use and maintain a knife that any testing they do is varied greatly do to their poor knife skill either in use or maintenance.
C:A combination of A and B, with just plain stupid for added measure.

I'm saying this because I keep realizing how much I do not know the more I look into this. Sadly most do not want to know they do not know.
January 21, 2015 05:44AM
no video, but some comments were made on KD that fit in with this thread
"Then a 120 J-weight to convex it a tad, then a 600 for Americana/German or 15 Micron for Japanese or my customs, then It to the buffer with green Chrome to remove the wire/burr.
If you haven't created a burr/wire at your last belt or stone. It will not be sharp!
"[knifedogs.com]

same person that was asking for help finding fireproof cloth to put under his sharpening grinder so he wouldn't start fires when he did farmer's markets.
scott
DK
January 23, 2015 04:03PM
this is about the myth of coarse edges cutting longer. from what i understand according to some users on this forum isn't this the opposite of true?

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 07:56PM by DK.
January 23, 2015 04:16PM
It depends on what and how you are cutting : [www.cliffstamp.com] .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login