Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection

Posted by me2 
Re: The "Why did you think that was ok" Sharpening Video Collection
June 24, 2015 09:01AM
Mower... are you saying it looks like a burr because of the way the cut looks, or can you actually see some light glimmer on the edge that would indicate a burr. My eyes aren't the best any longer so I'm not sure if I would catch something like that.

The WE does use a stropping direction, so it is more likely to create a burr in that sense, correct?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
June 24, 2015 01:12PM
DK and ShaperAndMower-
It looks to me at the end of the video, the guy just isn't good at slicing paper, plus he was crouching on the floor trying to film it, that can be difficult. I have seen Clay and his crew on YouTube videos, they seem to be able to put an edge on a blade. Now if I could only realize my dream of selling a freehand sharpening system for what a WE runs! winking smiley
June 24, 2015 02:41PM
Here's a more sensible sharpness test by Uddo:
[youtu.be]
Actually, this is the video I meant to put up by Uddo:

[youtu.be]
June 25, 2015 05:53PM
CliffStamp
As silly as it sounds, some people can't cut paper well...
jasonstone20
DK and ShaperAndMower- It looks to me at the end of the video, the guy just isn't good at slicing paper, plus he was crouching ...
Chum
Mower... are you saying it looks like a burr because of the way the cut looks, or can you actually see some light glimmer on the edge that would indicate a burr. My eyes aren't the best any longer so I'm not sure if I would catch something like that.

The WE does use a stropping direction, so it is more likely to create a burr in that sense, correct?
smiling smiley ok, the reason I thought "burr" is because he sliced clean without tearing but only short distances, about the length of the blade (short). It also helped that it was late and I was prompted for bias by the commentary, and then the shock of the price and, well ... funny commentary over accurate commentary tends to win over smiling smiley
I didn't pay enough attention to the arm/wrist, upon review, if you watch the wrist and the arm more closely the guy is simply short stroking it, hes not trying to slice a long strip-- at least thats my impression this time.
a change in perspective does tend to confuse those used to watching their own hands smiling smiley

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 05:53PM by ShaperAndMower.
June 25, 2015 11:57PM
It happens to all of us, I can't count how many times I saw or read something and posted it here, and how I then tge next day or when comments would come in, I realized that I had perceived it different than what was happening. It really helps having others give input, even after I check references and recources twice, I still get things goofy by myself.
September 18, 2015 02:58PM
I respect this guy's ambition/ingenuity but this is simply terrible:

[m.youtube.com]

Note that on the first knife he shows himself buffing, you can actually hear the uneven wheel bouncing off the edge. At least that's what I thought I could hear, let me know if you guys agree on that or not. Not to mention the bench grinder is revolving very fast, easy recipe for burnt steel/terrible edge retention.
September 18, 2015 03:15PM
I thought that was a kid until he broke out the cnc machine.

Most people just want to get a knife sharp, not really caring about edge retention or any kind of better way. What he demonstrates, aside from the dangers of working with MDF and buffing wheels, is very fast and produces edges which are better than what 99% of the people use.
September 18, 2015 03:35PM
for this type of sharpening there are good paper wheels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
September 18, 2015 03:52PM
CliffStamp

I thought he was too, his voice was surprising.

About the reat of what you said, very fair points. As an example, if me and my maternal grandfather and uncle could have sharpened our hunting knives (or any of them for that matter) to that level of sharpness in the days of carbide v-sharpeners we used, we would have loved it.
September 18, 2015 06:01PM
That wobbly thing made me nervous from here. Thought for sure it would have bark rivered itself

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
September 18, 2015 06:30PM
I just tried watching this earlier today, but it wouldn't load on my phone. I tried watching again on this post, and the technique didn't seem sound, so I stopped watching.
September 18, 2015 06:58PM
Ryan Nafe
CliffStamp
I thought he was too, his voice was surprising....
so you thought he was 10?

i'd place the age at maybe 14-20 ... short and/or slim people just sound young

also, I've seen a bunch of videos from < 14 on sharpening ... they never talk this fast in clear english ... not even caffeinated english kids

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
September 19, 2015 12:39AM
So he cut the wheel with a CNC machine, trued it, but didn't bother at all to balance it ... wtf.
me2
September 23, 2015 09:53PM
CliffStamp
It is common in both forms, often times it is spelled both ways in the same paper, ref : [www.mse.ncsu.edu] .

Just noticed this was from my department, though the teacher wasn't there when I was.
December 09, 2015 04:59PM
[YouTu.be]

Demonstrates a giant spinning saw blade, that you utilise by holding wood on an unstable table and leaning the whole thing and yourself toward the blade. Is it just me being a wuss, or is that set-up sheer madness?

States that draw filing will dull a file faster than anything else, while making numerous file-on-file contacts and knocking them around.

Video also goes for about 4 times longer than it should, but hey, I always forgive editing, getting good content up is far more important than getting everything perfect.
RFL
January 11, 2016 03:10PM
video: [www.youtube.com]

Final edge seems to be rather poor considering the multi step sharpening process. Destressing the damaged edge would have helped considerably.
January 11, 2016 07:11PM
I've watched his videos for awhile. He isn't that bad, but he does have the habit of burr based sharpening that he uses a strop to clean up into a working edge. And frankly that is the worst edge I have ever seen him do, although I haven't watched all of his videos.
RFL
May 19, 2016 10:49AM

Poor results for the time and effort shown in the video; however, demonstrating the attempted use of a low quality stone and a non- leather strop is practical.
June 10, 2016 09:29PM
June 11, 2016 12:20AM
Because of that I fell down a wiki hole, and had my brain screaming at me because of all the horrible ax sharpening videos.

What is seen can not be unseen.....
RFL
June 12, 2016 10:12AM

Starts off straight forward enough, but after 10 minutes he attempts to strop on a sheet of copy paper. Also, he unproductively attempts burr removal for several minutes, instead of removing the burrs directly.
RFL
September 15, 2016 07:18PM

The video does a good job in promoting a well made and precision machined sharpening jig. However, the presenter uses excessively high sharpening angles (over 25* per side) and does not de-stress the apexes of heavily dulled edges. The poor results are shown after 14 minutes.
September 15, 2016 07:48PM
That's the most amazing sharpening machine I have seen.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
September 15, 2016 08:02PM
I think, unfortunately, most people haven't either seen or can tell a really sharp blade unless you give them two knives to compare, one sharp, on dull. I remember I was going to sharpen a knife, and a friend wqs there. I handed them the knife, and they were amazed how sharp it was. This was before I sharpened it, I had cut of the apex when they were still in the other room.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
cKc
September 16, 2016 04:15AM
Ryan Nafe
I respect this guy's ambition/ingenuity but this is simply terrible:

[m.youtube.com]

Note that on the first knife he shows himself buffing, you can actually hear the uneven wheel bouncing off the edge. At least that's what I thought I could hear, let me know if you guys agree on that or not. Not to mention the bench grinder is revolving very fast, easy recipe for burnt steel/terrible edge retention.

Well, you have to give him credit for advancing his skill. this video is a year old, and he says he is doing it this way because he isn't very good using a whetstone so he doesn't want to use one, just before saying he'd normally spend 30 minutes stropping on an old piece of leather. so going from this to a 2 minute process on an MDF wheel must seem like magic for him..

But even better, only 2 months ago he has advanced his skills. so he has made progress with his options. He says this way takes around 15-20 minutes, still a bit too long I think. just watched.. seems like it was 15 minutes per stone. I'd die of boredom before 1 knife was done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
April 01, 2017 10:44PM
[www.youtube.com]

i can't believe this wasn't posted before, but i can't find so just in case
November 16, 2017 12:47PM
Hello, my first post here. I’m fan of Cliffs videos and methods advocated and thus my appearance here.

I find these methods to be highly questionable. winking smiley

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I’ve tried giving the guy advice on a few occasions and most of my comments were deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 12:52PM by Wolfgang.
November 16, 2017 01:13PM
Wolfgang,
He's making knife sharpening way more complicated than it needs to be.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 16, 2017 01:44PM
Indeed. I recommend a “mors style” kitchen tile to him and got no real interest, just a “thats right” or something similar.

In another video I recommended he make a jig similar to a Lansky, as he likes to make things, and it was deleted. Haha

His “sharp” is deformation.
November 17, 2017 05:20PM
I like the guts creativity, but that first solution is crazy over complicated if you consider what he has to use vs a $1 stone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login