Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things that are actually ok - sharpening videos

Posted by CliffStamp 
Re: Things that are actually ok - sharpening videos
March 20, 2019 08:49PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges
June 29, 2019 11:42AM

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
July 03, 2019 03:05PM

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
July 30, 2019 11:13AM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
August 05, 2019 06:55PM
Rough Rooster Knife Sharpening Spyderco ZDP 189 Hair Whittling Off Arkansas Stones:
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
October 29, 2019 07:54PM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
JDW
October 30, 2019 12:22AM
Some good points there! I use the same hone for shaping edges. Then I usually finish and maintain them with my Fallkniven DC4 diamonds side. (pocket knives). Works well for me! :-)
November 18, 2019 02:30PM
Here is the new JavaScript app with Larrin Thomas' formula to estimate CATRA TCC. The new info for S45VN is there also:

[drive.google.com]

PS: Thank you to Larrin Thomas for letting me use his formula, and to ShaperAndMower who re-wrote and helped me write my original JavieraScript program and helped me a lot with me C++ version. Just download the app and put the file location in the address bar and it will run in your browser. If you have any issues just contact me. Please share this with all your friends. Thank you everyone for the support and giving me a rewarding experience to do projects like this. If you have any suggestions or ideas about features or improvements please contact me.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
December 17, 2019 12:17AM
[www.youtube.com];

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
December 25, 2019 10:01AM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
December 27, 2019 02:33PM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
January 19, 2020 09:34AM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
January 28, 2020 11:11PM
[www.youtube.com]

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
cKc
March 24, 2020 09:10AM
jasonstone20
[www.youtube.com]

you know.. this is something that i still literally cannot comprehend..

52 minutes sharpening a knife..
often, the people that love the stones, and sharpen for hours on end maybe do it for enjoyment,
but for the price of just one fancy stone, you can buy a 1x30 grinder, or go up a little to a 2x48 and use a 120 grit belt to thin the primary bevel quickly and safely in a couple minutes, and then take it to the stones to clean up and do the edge.

anyone that can learn that level of control on a stone, will not have an issue using a tiny grinder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
March 28, 2020 11:43AM
What you said about the 1x30 vs an expensive stone makes sense. I’ve got an Imacasa machete and two heavy/thick Condor machetes that are in desperate need of a regrind and or more.

Especially the Imacasa machete, it’s essentially unfinished but the design is fantastic for brush and small trees. Balance point is about 3” or 4” in front of the handle, full distal taper, solid handle shape, good 1075 steel. I just have no way to make it functional without a 1x30 or similar tool.

But for smaller knives it can also pay to have something like the Shapton Pro 120 around, that’s a safe way to do full zero grinds on folders and such from the kitchen or living room, not really possible with the grinders.

I think a 1x30, the Shapton 120, and a new diamond finishing stone (a DMT or Atoma 600) are really all I have need for right now. Those and maybe a new set of wood rasps and a couple good quality steel files.
March 28, 2020 12:49PM
I really would like to get a belt sander, like a Harbor Freight 1x30 for gross metal removal, but I live in a small one bedroom apartment (less than 1000 sq'). There is a Shop Co-Op right across the street that has all the equipment for knife making, I plan one day to join it.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
cKc
March 31, 2020 05:46AM
I understand that living in a small apartment excludes the use of a grinder, and that makes sense. but i think many of the people with these big knives etc probably don't have those limitations. maybe they do..

Joining the co-op shop is probably a good idea, get into it grinning smiley

you make me laugh saying you are in a small less than 1000sft apartment.. in most of the world, 1000sft is a 3 bedroom apartment.
I'm in a 2bedfroom apartment considered roomy at 538s ft

tell me it's less than 100 and that was a typo and I'll start sympathizing grinning smiley grinning smiley

i do have thoughts for people in apartments though.. buy the 1x30 chassis.. go find an old broke one for $20, and replace the motor with an electric drill on slow speed and now you have something where you will have a heck of a lot more control than a stone.. almost relaxing grinning smiley, and quiet, and not messy if its at a speed of only 50rpm

[data.gearbastion.com]
March 31, 2020 10:46AM
cKc,
I just looked it up, my apartment is 540' sq ft:

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
cKc
April 02, 2020 08:00AM
thats not a bad size grinning smiley slightly bigger than mine. we have 4 people squeezed in right now. lol.

I have another idea for apartments and using stones grinning smiley

1. and old turntable record player and velcro sandpaper grinning smiley
2. some device that holds a stone and rocks back and forward at adjustable speed while holding the knife still grinning smiley

[data.gearbastion.com]
April 02, 2020 12:08PM
cKc,
Ha! I have a few bicycles, I could get a grind wheel and run it off the bike.

It is just me and my old lady on my apartment, so it isn't that cramped. I can see how 4 people would be tight quarters.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges
cKc
April 02, 2020 01:29PM
In that case.. get a 1 x 30 and attach a crank handle.. while watching tv, have her turn the handle and you sharpen grinning smiley, quiet, slow, and a team game grinning smiley

[data.gearbastion.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login