Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things that are actually ok - sharpening videos

Posted by CliffStamp 
Re: Things that are actually ok - sharpening videos
December 14, 2015 08:48AM
I saw this from Joe Calton the other day, brilliant pencil analogy and demonstration:

sharpen a knife #1 defining what an edge is: [youtu.be]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
me2
December 14, 2015 08:51AM
I tried the above method and got good results. I used a paring knife, and the Norton Economy stone. A narrower stone would help to see what's happening. I also hang the end of the stone off the edge of a table so the angle stays more consistent.
December 14, 2015 10:41AM
Chris-
I used to sharpen in a similar manner, it definitely works. I like the EZE-Lap files also, very handy.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 14, 2015 07:15PM
I have been thinking about trying this method too for my dad, who is hesitant to just jump in with sharpening, even though I've given him several run downs of the basics.

Using the edge of the table is a great Idea, I was thinking about a few wedges cut at different angles, then you could use different cutting boards etc and slide the knife up to the file, and whammy, you have your angle. The table edge is more elegant though, no extra equipment required, and you can match any angle by sliding the knife closer to or further from the edge.
RFL
December 17, 2015 11:26AM
video: [www.youtube.com]

Not sure if this is good or bad. The poster gets practical results, but the working edge produced by stropping on Brasso loaded (charged) denim seems to be nothing more than burr realignment. The initial burr being produced from edge trailing sharpening on coarse wet/dry paper. The assumed low quality stainless steel blade (SAK clone) does not facilitate the production of an unbiased apex.
January 14, 2016 05:44PM

I like the even and clean edge - this 6k natural stone takes the tormek to another level

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 14, 2016 06:44PM
SW-
Pavol has some great videos! Even though the are in Russian, I can still watch because he has captions on his videos in English.
I wouldn't mind a system like that, but I would probably get the Jet brand version just because of cost.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 14, 2016 08:24PM
jasonstone20
SW-
Pavol has some great videos! Even though the are in Russian, I can still watch because he has captions on his videos in English.
They're in vakian grinning smiley

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
January 14, 2016 08:36PM
Oh! I wonder which on I was watching in Russian. Is the guy who does all the destruction tests videos in Russian? That one has has English subtitles also, I think they are auto-generated.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 14, 2016 11:31PM
jasonstone20
Oh! I wonder which on I was watching in Russian. Is the guy who does all the destruction tests videos in Russian? That one has has English subtitles also, I think they are auto-generated.

that is vininull - he is from Ukraine but lives in Israel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 15, 2016 12:04AM
SW-
Awesome, I didn't know that. I like his videos.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 20, 2016 04:45AM

The commentary about why the stone is dished makes me smile...

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 20, 2016 07:36AM
SW-
I was going to do a YouTube of knife sharpening footwork, and why it's important.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
February 16, 2016 06:41PM
Someone sent this to me today.
Car window sharpening.

I guess this would be along the lines of using a coffee mug?

video: [www.youtube.com]
February 16, 2016 07:19PM
Yes, it tends to be mainly burnishing. They actually do make glass burnishing rods specifically for this purpose, well regarded by kitchen knife users in general.
May 26, 2016 05:23PM
[youtu.be]

This is has to be what keeps Cliff up at night sometimes. I don't know about buying the strops, they should sell those haircuts.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 26, 2016 08:25PM
What Euro Boy Band did they belong to?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
May 27, 2016 01:50AM
4Skore? tongue sticking out smiley

Seems like a sponsored positive review ...

wakko aka virtuovice, our leader , really upped our level of sharpening knives, naniwa stones ... bark river ...

that seems to explain the ~100 pps stropping

But they call this cheap beginners kit ...

start $80 naniwa choosera 1000 grit waterstone,
then finish with genuine pakistan $66 strop
loaded with $15 of coarse/fine compound ...
same store same brand but $9 cheaper , two waterstones ( 240/800, 2k/5k ) with a rod (1200 )

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
May 27, 2016 03:59AM
That was painful. Too bad people still insist on spreading misinformation

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
July 04, 2016 08:36PM
"Modified Murray Carter Waterstone Sharpening"

Not to sure where Murray Carter's influence is here, but that's the name of the video:

[youtu.be]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
July 05, 2016 12:57PM
He seems to have changed the title, there is no reference to Carter now. It ignores the main argument Carter uses to criticize almost all other sharpening methods as well which is absolutely critical to Carter's style - you have to grind the blade bevel, not just the edge bevel.
July 05, 2016 01:28PM
Cliff,
Sorry, you are correct. He states in the video that his technique is a modified Murray Carter technique, which I mistakenly paraphrased as the title of the video, which actually is "Water Stone Sharpening". I just didn't really see that much in common with Carter's technique except the King stones and trailing passes, although the maker of the video seems to use them exclusively.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
July 07, 2016 08:02PM
Nice display of the "keeping the blade still while moving the stone" technique:

[youtu.be]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 03, 2016 03:30AM
I thought this was pretty great compared to the vast majority of YouTube videos I've seen that are about sharpening axes and even most knife sharpening videos:

The only thing I don't quite get is the circular pattern of stone movement.

The King of Generalizations
August 03, 2016 10:35AM
Ryan,
It's to massage and align the carbides so it cuts better.....

But seriously, I think it comes from an efficientcy of movement with small stones, as a lot of ax hones were puck shaped.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 03, 2016 04:33PM
Well I just meant in relation to the scratch patterns, the circular motion is something I haven't seen under magnification. I don't know what it looks like or how it would affect things like burr formation.

The King of Generalizations
August 03, 2016 05:45PM
Ryan,
I am not sure either.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 03, 2016 06:27PM
jasonstone20

But seriously, I think it comes from an efficientcy of movement with small stones, as a lot of ax hones were puck shaped.

Most people find it way easier to follow the curvature on an axe with that motion. Axe bits often have much larger curvatures than knives. If you try to match them with knife type passes then most people have a lot of difficulty.

Generally, and this is what most people now don't realize, the circular motions were just shaping, the actual final edge bevel was put on flat (v-grind) just like with a knife and then (when people were very particular), the axe is stropped to intentionally polish and round the edge. Axes don't do any draw cutting, you don't need slicing aggression and they are slamming into wood on the end of a 3' handle, strength/toughness tend to be more important.

But, most people don't do the last step because in the real world wood is dirty and so are you and so is everything else. It isn't like you can keep the axe head sterile so dirt does wear the apex down, flatten and chip it, which is why most people will sharpen axes very frequently. Plus try chopping with an axe continuously for more than 2 hours and see if you don't want an excuse for a break anyway.
August 04, 2016 05:58AM
Cliff,
Thank you. I suspected that the circular motion was shaping, and since you rarely see people do the last two stages you mentioned, I wasn't confident to say one way or another. Plus I don't have anywhere near the experience with an ax as I do with a knife.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 07, 2016 10:08AM
52 seconds from dull to sharp:

[youtu.be]

Not bad.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login