Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

36 grit dressing stone

Posted by CliffStamp 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: 36 grit dressing stone
April 02, 2015 11:14PM
I have a tungsten ring with a brushed finish on the outside and have used it to apply a micro bevel on a knife. It cuts like a very fine file. It also scratches wine glasses.

Edit to add

1/2 mm would make her ring look cheap lol

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 11:16PM by Mark a.
April 03, 2015 03:03AM
CliffStamp
They don't exist, I am going to check into it.

Personally, nothing makes me happier on this forum than when Cliff utters this phrase...
April 03, 2015 11:08PM
Steel_Drake
CliffStamp
They don't exist, I am going to check into it.

Personally, nothing makes me happier on this forum than when Cliff utters this phrase...

This.

smiling smiley
April 04, 2015 08:19PM
A little discussion on sharpening, sketching out the way I currently view it and a demonstration of the sharpness of off this stone :

RFL
April 05, 2015 05:11PM
In the video, are your shirt sleeves reinforced with fabric from another flannel shirt? It looks like there is a ring of contrasting flannel around the elbow.
April 05, 2015 05:47PM
It isn't reinforced, the sleeves were too short but I liked the shirt so I had the arms chopped off and an extension patched it from another shirt.
April 07, 2015 04:09AM
Tomorrow I am on the hunt for one of those stones...they look like fun to experiment with.
April 07, 2015 04:10AM
If you could, get a green one. I am curious how it would compare to this one. Green silicon carbide is hard, but more brittle. I am curious if you could fracture it easily enough to generate a slurry.
April 07, 2015 05:55PM
Needed a break from the to do list:
[www.youtube.com]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
me2
April 11, 2015 02:53PM
On a fun note, I taught my daughter to sharpen her Old Hickory yard knife on the back of a very coarse concrete rubbing stone. I took off the handle and use the back. It has the diagonal grooves on the front. A couple of minutes with that and a large jump to a Spyderco medium triangle and it would shave my arm, though very roughly.
April 12, 2015 01:05PM
I could not find anywhere the green version. I did find a 24 grit black one that I ordered. I am going to use it as my work sharpener for a while. The knives are once again grossly damaged so I am sharpening them again.
April 28, 2015 12:20AM
Where did you get this stone ? I have looked and can't find one.

April 28, 2015 12:36AM
Mark I got mine from Congress : [www.cliffstamp.com] .
April 28, 2015 01:20AM
[www.sharpeningsupplies.com]

If you can wait Mark, the next time I send you something I will send one. I have a few of these as well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

April 28, 2015 01:40AM
I can wait. Thank you very much.

April 28, 2015 01:47AM
I think you'll be less than impressed with it...they wear down quickly just sharpening with them. And even fresh they don't seem to cut well...I don't think the grits are shaped very sharply as Cliff has theorized.

April 28, 2015 02:17AM
Mark, I think the only way to really use these effectively would be to mount one to a piece of wood and use it two handed like a spokeshave or draw file. You really need to be able to put a lot of force into it to ramp up the pressure. If you can get the grit to start crushing it is a powerful abrasive but the lower critical pressure is very high as in ~500 psi.
April 28, 2015 02:43AM
They are made to dress a spinning grinding wheel so the high pressure would make sense. I am just hoping to use it as you demonstrated in the video about the norton economy stone.

April 07, 2021 07:19PM

A 3x12" 36 brazed plate would be wonderful to have for conditioning oil stones and general tomfoolery. When you were bored you could chamfer all the edges on your granite counter tops.

Cliff

Have you since managed to find/create something like this?