Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aranyik hamon depth

Posted by Eli 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Eli
Aranyik hamon depth
March 08, 2015 09:55PM
[need to figure out better image hosting options first]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 10:01PM by Eli.
Eli
Re: Aranyik hamon depth
March 08, 2015 10:10PM
I bought a small 7 inch Hua Tad from eBay for USD 25 shipped. It weighs 400g, a good heft for its small size. On one side the bevel arrived cleanly chisel ground to the edge. The other side had a bit of rounding and blackness/burning on the edge. It did not cut paper. I decided to fix that side, grinding it on 80 grit sandpaper backed by oak. After a few minutes of work I noticed a hamon showing near the edge. I increased the contrast using an Amakusa red to take this picture. The hamon is 3.5mm thick at the end of the metal pointer. At its widest it is 6mm thick and at the tip 1mm. Frankly, I expected a bit more hardened steel in this blade.

Questions: Is this shallow depth typical for a hamon? Is this representative of Aranyik work? But more curiously, what is the black/rainbow line 1/3 up the knife at the top of the chisel grind? I always assumed the hamon would be hidden below it. Could it just be burned steel from grinding the bevel, or oil/tar residue from hardening?
March 08, 2015 10:20PM
My k-1 has about 1/4" of hardened metal along the edge. I can't tell on the gigantic cleaver or my k3 I have never polished them enough to see.

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
Eli
March 09, 2015 12:53AM
It is interesting that you mention not seeing the hamon. I did sharpen another small Aranyik E-nep in the past (but gave it to someone using a gifted Miyabi 7000MC to baton through rabbit bones). That E-nep was very sharp, kept an edge on wood. Did not notice a hamon on its bevel, but I only touched it up on synthetic waterstones. That's one of the reasons I thought the hamon should be higher up near the black line, but maybe some don't have one? After all they were likely made by different smiths. Now I just need to wait a few years to get the Miyabi and the E-nep back for sharpening...
Eli
May 05, 2015 06:05PM
I was camping last weekend. I bought a box of seasoned western oak/madrone pieces and tried to split it for starting. The thin Barteaux machetes that work so well to cut soft branches 1-3 inches in diameter managed to bind immediately and solidly. Batoning did not help and I had to saw one out. The 7 inch Hua Tad worked like a little hatchet of its weight (400g). Quite admirably: no binding, good leverage for the size. The curved, flat/not rounded back made batoning easy. Nevertheless it was easily outsplit by a heavier hatchet. No surprises. For this kind of work a longer Hua Tad would obviously be better. But I like that this model is so short and easy to manage (and weighted to the far end). I originally had kitchen work (coconut/crab/chicken) in mind when I got it and I think it should work well as a heavy knife. Will update when that happens.