Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice for setting new bevels

Posted by sai 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Advice for setting new bevels
August 22, 2015 11:52PM
Yes

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
sai
November 14, 2020 01:36PM
Hello everyone,

I'm back after 5 years. grinning smiley
I had given up on apexing freehand and just used my Sharpmaker for apexing knives. Now my interest for sharpening knives has grown bigger again and I probably already did 25-30 knives on my Chosera 400.
But I still can't apex properly even if my life depended on it. Scrape shaving with a lot of pressure is probably the best I can get out of it. Paper cuts are really rough and often tear the paper. I've rewatched dozens of videos of people finishing knives on coarse stones, but I just can't seem to get it right. (not to mention 90% you see on youtube also rely on a strop to really get good results)
Out of pure frustration I ordered a TSProf from russia and I'll also be getting a Chosera 400 for it. I'm really interested in comparing the finished edges under the microscope versus my freehand edges.
Next time I sharpen, I try to get a picture of the edge under magnification and hope someone can tell me what the problem is. Sort of looks like small metal flakes which look like bits of burr, but I'm not really sure.
me2
November 29, 2020 11:52PM
I generally don't like guided systems, but u cannot argue their effectiveness. I wouldn't expect to be able to shave after just apexing the edge. That just means you have the edges meeting. Refining them will give the results you're after. You can do that with a coarse stone or a finer one. The tsprof seems like a good system. How low an angle can it go?
sai
November 30, 2020 05:51PM
me2
The tsprof seems like a good system. How low an angle can it go?

I love it so far. Feels really solid and well thought through. 8dps is the official lowest it can go, depending on how far the edge stands out beyond the clamp.
Despite that I made a huge jump in freehand apexing with some tips from Bladeforums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 05:53PM by sai.
December 11, 2020 11:53AM
What were the tips that helped you, Sai?
sai
December 12, 2020 05:10PM
First and foremost reducing the pressure on the last strokes so much that the knife barely touches the stone. I see sharpening videos where people do 5pps to microbevel. Most of my knives seem to be so soft that I can't even do 1pps on the whole stone without creating a new burr.
Other than that I got me a Spyderco medium especially just for deburring. Although I love my Chosera 400 and 1000, I can't deburr on them properly. Since the Spyderco cuts so much less, I can only imagine how short my finishing strokes on the Choseras have to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2020 05:11PM by sai.
sai
December 12, 2020 05:24PM
Also what I found out, it's much easier to deburr on diamond plates. I can get a shaving edge easier off the Atoma 400 than the Chosera 1000 which leaves a finer finish than one might think for this grit rating. Pretty weird...
Maybe someone with Choseras can chime in here?
cKc
December 16, 2020 04:42PM
sai
Also what I found out, it's much easier to deburr on diamond plates. I can get a shaving edge easier off the Atoma 400 than the Chosera 1000 which leaves a finer finish than one might think for this grit rating. Pretty weird...
Maybe someone with Choseras can chime in here?

I think this topic has been covered a lot here in various topics I'd have a hard time referencing.
i never use waterstones, so i can only refer you to comments from others.

from what i gather waterstones are not an ideal finishing stone because the cut and slurry work against you.

diamonds are always good for finishing the apex. you want the hardest cleanest thing you can get for finishing, which is why you might find you are gbetting a better edge of a 400 diamond.

strops are great. love strops.. but they wont make up for doing the processes before hand incorrectly. they will compensate a bit.
im not sure what you have, but it sounds like you have a reasonable array of stones.
what i will say is that if you can't take something like a norton crystolon coarse/fine stone and make it easily take hair off your arm without folding skin, and do all the things you ever need in the kitchen, then what you need to focus on is the technique and the finesse of making that happen, and then apply that to the other stones you have.

Cliff seems to be able to take any $2 stone and sharpen a knife, but i find the norton or similar is as simple as i like to go.. and im only talking about sharpening here.. not reprofiling

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen