Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Edge Pro Clone-Three Step/Plateau on Guided System

Posted by jasonstone20 
Re: Edge Pro Clone-Three Step/Plateau on Guided System
June 16, 2016 06:08PM
I picked up a Ruixin Pro a month or two ago, the all metal version. Wanted to check out one of these guided systems as a way to consistently form nice clean, flat, even bevels after regrinds or to clean up after reprofiling on my 1x30".

Old habits die hard though and I haven't used it much as I tend to lose patience and revert to freehand. The system works and I've done some nice bevels with it, I've even found the actual sharpening part goes pretty quick, but all of the set up and take down of clamping, unclamping, flipping the blade, checking and rechecking the angle of the rod, having the set screw that sets the angle slip, more checking and fiddling. I even had to file down the screw that holds the blade in place to get to lower angles... It's sort of a pain.

I suppose it may come easier after a while and that some of these are issues I should expect with buying a very cheap system, but I haven't gotten very far with it yet.

-Nate
June 16, 2016 06:51PM
I really don't use the sharpening systems unless I am doing customers knives. I can get edges just as good by freehand, or freehand and the microbevel on a v-rod system.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
August 23, 2016 01:41AM
Just wanted to give the heads up that the 1st Gen of the Ruixin Pro Professional Kitchen is a $5.99 add on item now. I threw one on a order today just to see if I would have any interest in the $32 one or even a Edge Pro.
Ruixin Pro Professional Kitchen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 01:53AM by Mark Nelson.
August 23, 2016 04:59AM
Nice! Thank you!

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
March 30, 2017 12:17PM
This system has become my favorite go to for mirror edges:

Mirror Edge with Edge Pro Clone [iob.imgur.com]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 01, 2017 12:28PM
I just got another stone I ordered for the clone of the EP Apex. It is an 80 grit green SiC stone. I just tried it out, and different than the stock stones as it is friable. The 80 grit rating is accurate, and it cuts a lot faster that either the 200 grit diamond or the 180 grit stock stone. So the total stones I have for this machine are 80 SiC, 180 Stock, 200 Diamond, 400 Stock, 800 Stock, 1500 Stock, 2k Stock and 3k Stock. Since the 2k and 3k stones were order separate, they didn't have blanks on the back, so to compensate, I glued the stones together and they are about the same height now as a stone with a blank attached. I also made two wood strops, one for Mother Mag metal polish and one for Enkay Green compound. Also, like the real EP Apex, I do use a ceramic rod or hone to remove the last of a burr that might remain. This kit didn't include one, so I mostly use a Spyderco UF rod. The results are that I can get a HHT-3,4,or 5 both directions on a head hair. I can get that freehand also, but it takes a little more concentration and technique.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 28, 2017 10:34PM
After trying out the 80 grit Green SiC to do some heavy work, one problem came up. The stone is so friable that after reprofiling a knife, it is half-way or more used up. The stone is about half the height it came with. Now this stone was less than $2 USD shipped, and I can still use the one I have, but it really should only be used for matching bevels and damage repair. I think I will get another one anyway as a spare, just the time it takes to ship is a couple weeks, so it would be better to have an extra on hand.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
May 30, 2017 10:53AM
I forgot to add that I had a bad problem with parasite scratches using the 80 grit stone, even with most of the blade taped.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
February 04, 2018 10:27AM
Video:

[youtu.be]

This is Pete of the Cedric & Ada YouTube Channel sharpening a Cold Steel knife in CTS-XHP, and that it would be ready for sharpness testing.
Other than the math behind the knife cutting tests being a problem with knife cutting testing, I was concerned that sharpening technique could be causing differing results. As he has posted some videos that have shown some knives having less that ideal cutting test results, I had been wondering how they had been sharpened. How a knife is sharpened can have a big effect on the edge retention of a knife. Now, in the video, the knife is sharpened well, and it appears very sharp. However, there are a few things that could increase edge retention in my opinion. First, would to be cut off the edge by cutting at a 90* degree into the stone with a 1-2 passes. Second, would to do burr minimization passes and high angle passes forward passes to cut off the burr before moving on to the next stone. The third thing would to clean the strop completely (the strop was cleaned a little in the video) before and after using it with abrasive. Fourth, I would check for a burr by shaving arm or leg hair in both directions. That being said, it is just me super-geeking out about sharpening, as Pete did a great job sharpening the knife.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
February 04, 2018 08:44PM
Pete's video is pretty good although far from ideal, it is simply not economical to do all round tests with knife and steel and sharpening technique and we are getting what we can get from all the resources out there. One thing I really like about his style is that he is honest with what he does, he knows that it is not really scientific, but at least I could expect what would likely happen if I prep my knife in that way.

Nevertheless I am really liking XHP's properties. Being a powdered stainless D2 it has pretty fine grain, and even being a novice I can sharpen it with ease on the Shapton Glass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login