Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"MISSARKA" sharpening stones

Posted by stefan_wolf 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"MISSARKA" sharpening stones
January 23, 2016 12:14AM

From fine-tools"

"It can be hard to find a good sharpening stone for modern stainless steels, which are so difficult to sharpen that even a Japanese waterstone will sometimes gunge up and cease to work. We had exactly that difficulty. However, we came upon the MISSARKA artificial stone. It is an artificial stone and an artificial name - concocted from Mississippi and Arkansas, the sources of the renowned natural stones which bear their names. The artificial product well deserves the combined title.

The natural stones are almost beaten by the whetting power of the MISSARKA. At the same time, the fineness of the razor edge produced is also better than that achieved with other artificial stones of similar grain size. The materials of which the stone is made, white and pink electro-corundum, have been sintered. In the process the sharp points of the corundum are rounded, so that the density of the stone increases and with it the keenness of the razor edge produced. The electro-corundum is pressed into blocks by means of a special technique that involves no bonding material. The latter is better avoided for fine hones because it causes gunging up when alloy steels are being sharpened.

Kevin Wilkins, knife maker, recommend this stone for knife steels such as D2 oder ATS-34. It is also excellent for putting an edge on TWO CHERRIES chisels. The stone can be used with either water or oil. If you decide on the latter, check the bottom of this page for details of the whetstone oil made by TWO CHERRIES. Note: if you once start using oil on the stone, you cannot go back to water.

Grit 500, sharpens as rough or fine like a Japanese stone with grit 800. Very good for stainless knives!"

-[www.zische.com]

- using it in progression with russian quartz slate

Using 80 and 220 grit silicon carbide abrasive grain to recondition my MISSARKA 500 grit stone before I start using it with oil...

Interesting stone - slow cutting (despite being 500 grit) when used with low to moderate pressures.
Very hard - no dissing whatsoever after almost 6000 passes.
Needs constant application of water to wash the metal swarf out of the surface.
Moderately easy to clean with water spray bottle but porous enough the has visible metal swarf embedded in its structure.

============

About that "very good for SS knives"

I can not say that I found any difference in the work of the stone with SS - cheap 3cr13 / 440A type of steel to cpm 154 and simple 1.2210 to 1.2379 and sr101 (btw I have footage sharpening my sykco 511 but due to its 50-55 degree edge it is hard to present clean and easy paper cut test - I am thinking of comparing not so good paper cutting and effortless cutting of a pork shoulder )

for me this is synthetic soft arkansas stone - same slow cutting, coarser finish (due to being 500 grit) but more aggressive edge on read meat and cardboard

I am wondering if using with oil will change the behavior of the stone

I hope it would not load very easy due to the viscosity of the oil compared to water and easy cleaning as arkansa stone

What do you think about pre soaking it in kerosene and motor oil - will it hope flushing the metal swarf easy?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 12:26AM by stefan_wolf.
Re: "MISSARKA" sharpening stones
January 23, 2016 01:50AM
If this is a solid sintered stone then what you have is a mass of abrasive, already partially worn which will not release fresh abrasive in grinding. In order to get this to cut at maximum levels :

-use a LOT of force
-a light oil

If you don't do either it is likely all that will happen is that the surface will wear and smooth over and stop cutting.

-

As for the comments/description, it makes no sense to have a stronger bond on a hard to cut steel, you need the opposite.
January 23, 2016 07:30AM
Thanks for the tips.

smileys with beer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 25, 2016 04:36PM
I wonder how much oil is in the india stones by norton from the factory...

this missarka stone soaked/absorbed 75ml of fine/light sewing machine oil eye popping smiley

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 25, 2016 05:02PM
If the stone is dry, then the amount of oil it absorbs could be used to estimate the porosity, which is just the open volume or blank space in the stone.

(volume of oil absorbed) / (volume of stone) = porosity
January 25, 2016 06:34PM
SW-
Have you tried oil ans using pressure? I can get a Soft Arkansas to cut faster using good amount of oil and pressure for shaping/material removal, and then flushing the stone and using light pressure to apex. I use the same techniques with the different Washita stones I have, even though they are different levels of finish/grit.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
February 10, 2016 01:43PM
Well the "learning curve" with this stone continue.

As I mentioned the stone was fully saturated with fine/light sewing machine oil and I let it for a week before any use in dry uncovered container.

After a week I checked the stone and about 50-55 ml of oil were on the bottom of the container and the stone was perfectly dry to touch.

for now my conclusion is that the stone is too porous to absorb and hold such kind of oil and I have no intentions to try soaking it with heavy/dense mineral oil...

I soaked it in warm water with oven degreaser and it is close to degreased now - I presume after half a dozen uses and cleanings with degreaser it will be back to the previous state were continuous application of water was needed for washing out the metal swarf created during the sharpening process - now the remaining oil in the stone makes water absorption a couple of times slower...

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
February 18, 2016 11:41AM
around 1000 to 1200 grams of pressure works very well with these soft steels

and 2 mm wide edge bevel = how much psi? confused smiley eye rolling smiley

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
February 18, 2016 01:28PM
I think that you want to try an make sure the stone is still cutting mostly rather than burnishing. It takes some playing around with, and how you condition the stones surface. Are you testing for slicing aggression? I noticed that if a stone starts burnishing and slows on cutting,slicing aggression goes almost to nothing.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
February 19, 2016 12:01AM
stefan_wolf
around 1000 to 1200 grams of pressure works very well with these soft steels

and 2 mm wide edge bevel = how much psi? confused smiley eye rolling smiley

go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1200 grams / ( 2mm * 2inch )
go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1000 grams / ( 2mm * 2inch )
go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1200 grams / ( 2mm * 1inch )
go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1000 grams / ( 2mm * 1inch )
go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1200 grams / ( 2mm * 2mm)
go to [ddg.gg] and type !wa 1000 grams / ( 2mm * 2mm )

so
16.8 PSI
14 PSI
33.6 PSI
28 PSI
426 PSI
355.6 PSI

1-1.2kg over 2mm x 2inch = 14 PSI -16.8 PSI
1-1.2kg over 2mm x 1inch = 28 PSI - 33.6 PSI
1-1.2kg over 2mm x 2mm = 355.6 PSI - 426 PSI

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
May 15, 2016 06:07AM
Short video with my hand forged satsuma bocho knife in BS1407 Silver Steel high carbon tool steel - [silver-steel.co.uk]

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
May 08, 2017 06:53AM

older video with victorinox santoku - for its 13 microns cuts fast enough and leaves sharp enough edge to be used as single stone for kitchen knives maintenance...

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
May 08, 2017 02:33PM
Stephan_Wolf-
How would you describe the stone? In it description by the manufacturer, it sounds like a porous, slightly burnished Spyderco Medium Ceramic. When I saw these on the web, they looked very interested to me because Arkansas stone are some of my favorite sharpening implements. Also, what does the finish the stone look like(Polished, hazy, ect) and what other stone could you compare it to? From your last video of the stone (nice work, btw), it looks to cut fairly quick, is that true? Thank you.

July 26, 2020 03:04PM

Finally the FEPA 1000 / JIS 3000 is in the house

Same manufacturing method - Al2O3 pressed and backed on 1350 Celsius no bonding
15 minutes of soaking is required before starts to hold up water on the surface sufficiently.
Warped new from the box - flattening on 60 grit SiC, conditioning on 400 grit - smooth as glass afterwords but not as dense as Spyderco ceramic
Apply pressure and removes metal surprisingly fast for 5 micron abrasive but in the video you can hear some scratchy noises - after looking under 60x magnification - metal particles were embedded into the stone if used with to much pressure or not cleaned on time before load up - interesting (first time collision with such behavior)
with 3Cr13 no polishing - just fine scratches
very agressive feel on slice, problems with 90 degree push cut against the grain and so-so with the grain

In the next months will be used with many different steels and I will give more info

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
August 16, 2020 09:09AM
in my opinion reasonably priced and good enough results progression of Al2O3 stones

btw. if you have decent hard arkansas it will do the same job without refining the scratch pattern (unless you have spare time) - just microbevel

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]