Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Congress Tools Mold Master Stones

Posted by me2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
me2
Congress Tools Mold Master Stones
July 11, 2016 01:41AM
I just got a set of these in 80, 150, 320, & 600 grits. So far I've only used the 320 & 600 much. They are proving problematic. The 600 is quite soft it seems. Even the final apexing passes will produce a bit of slurry on the stone and the edge of the 320 is sharper, though far from ideal. Anyone have any experience with these? Several on bladeforums use them, most notably Ankerson's on the edge pro and report high sharpness though he stops at 400 grit.

On the upside the 600 did a good job as a prep stone before going to the Sharpmaker on my 110V Manix. My BD1 Voyager still takes the prize in being much sharper of the Sharpmaker, but the Manix is at least comparable. Based on steel Aline is carry the Voyager over the Manix. The Voyager has some non steel related issues though.
Re: Congress Tools Mold Master Stones
July 11, 2016 04:02PM
Chris,

I think Cliff and Stan_Lee (Caffeine Junkie on YouTube) have some of those:

[www.cliffstamp.com]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
me2
August 19, 2016 01:54PM
Took some practice, but I can get a beard hair whittling edge off the 320 grit stone now. I'm going to work on the 600 next, though it acts like a waterfront it's so soft.
August 19, 2016 03:03PM
Chris,
Nice work! I meant to ask what size and shape you got. I would like some of these hones for my Edge Pro clone and my Lansky Crockstick Turnbox.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
me2
August 19, 2016 06:31PM
I got the .5 x 1 x 6.
me2
August 19, 2016 06:40PM
The returns stones would be awesome in a turn box. Where were you when I was ordering before?!?
August 20, 2016 02:53AM
Chris,
Ha!

August 20, 2016 11:48AM
I feel like I posted about them somewhere around here before, but maybe not.

I've had a pair each of their 120 and 320 grit triangle rods for a couple of years. I got them to see how they work as a budget alternative to the diamond or cbn Sharpmaker rods.

They are shorter and slightly undersized for the slots, but work in the base using the flats. There were some surface defects, but they came decently flat otherwise. The corners aren't really useable unless you want to chamfer them yourself, I never bothered. I broke a toothpick in half to use as shims to keep them at a steeper angle in the SM base, which work fine with low pressure.

These days I tend to just hold them in my hand. I feel they work well for quickly resetting a bevel and use them most often in the kitchen to touch up our paring knives and my small fixed edc blade from Kyle, followed by a few licks on a SM medium rod to finish if needed.

-Nate
September 07, 2016 07:54PM
me2
... hair whittling edge off the 320 grit stone now.

You guys keep impressing me. I achieved hair whittling edge only once and I had to go the a high polished edge (stropped on green compound).
me2
September 13, 2016 12:24AM
Just some update work. I tried the 600 grit again and it is VERY soft, softer than my King 4000 waterstone. Even finishing passes at about15-20 grams (usually what it takes to push cut thread on a scale after the Fine white of the Sharpmaker, on a good day), are enough to generate a slurry that seems to prevent any sort of sharpness in edge leading passes. I've reverted to shaping with the 600 and sharpening on a 10" ceramic rod. The 320 grit congress sharpens and shapes all by itself, and is considerably harder. I only have one, so I don't know if this is typical or not.
me2
October 03, 2016 10:55PM
Update: did a bunch of sharpening this weekend on some old kitchen knives. My wife volunteered me to sharpen the knives at the church where she works. 19 in all, no real abuse, but dull to the point the church ladies were complaining.

Went add them with just the 80 grit Congress stone roughing and sharpening. I've side was ladies and made it quite a bit smoother. 10 knives took about an hoi an a half and I have 9 more to go.

The stone has dished noticeably but I've put a lot it with these.