Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite Stropping Compounds & Mediums

Posted by jasonstone20 
Favorite Stropping Compounds & Mediums
July 27, 2016 10:33AM
For maximizing push cutting and removal or reduction of the "micro-burr" ie a burr that can't be seen or felt, after a proper sharpening, what stropping compounds and mediums have worked the best for you with knives(straight razors are a different topic)? How many PPS (passes per side)? Which ones didn't work?

Personally, for compounds, I have tried MetalGlo, MothersMag & Aluminum Polish, Enkay White, Green, Red, & Blue, Flexcut Gold Compound, Newspaper, and reclaimed stone slurry.

For mediums used with compound, I have used a Canvas and Leather Hanging Barbers Strop, MDF, old leather belts, cardboard/paperboard, Flexcut 8" Strop, a notebook like Kylie's stropping experiment, and the inside of denim jeans.

My favorite combination of compounds (in no particular order of preference), Mothers on denim, Mothers on Cardboard, Flexcut Gold on Flexcut 8" Strop, Enkay Green on Cardboard, Enkay Red on Cardboard, and plain Newsprint (ala Murray Carter). I usually only use 2 passes per side, one heel to tip and one tip to heel.

Edit:
I forgot Hunter Seeker 5's CrOx spray, which I like a lot and use on a paintstick, leather belt, or cardboard when I want then most refining I can get. It just cuts slower than the other compounds for me, so it takes about 20 PPS.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 10:39AM by jasonstone20.
Re: Favorite Stropping Compounds & Mediums
July 27, 2016 03:50PM
I have the 1 micron dmt paste on a thin leather strop and I like it just to give my choppers the final polish. 5 passes per side with very light pressure and a slightly lower angle to help reduce rounding
I also clean the strop with a fine wire brush fairly often to.keep.it from loading

www.theflatearthsociety.org

BIGFOOT FINDS YOU, YOU DON'T FIND BIGFOOT!

IT IS THE E-NEP THROWING BROTHERHOOD
September 08, 2016 08:47AM
I recently picked up some new compounds and stropping surfaces:
Blue Magic metal polish, Craftsman #6 Polishing Compound, Enkay Black Emery, and foam cored paperboard. The Blue Magic is supposed to be ultra fine, it seems to be at least as fine as the Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, though I haven't used it much. The Craftsman #6 appears to be that brands Green Rouge, and it polishes very well, like my two favorite compounds, Enkay Green (Stainless) and Flexcut Gold, and Mother Mag & Aluminum Polish. The Enkay Black Emery is very coarse, and leaves a scratchy, cloudy finish.

Speaking of my favorite compounds, I seem to prefer one's (at least for the final polish or just using one compound) that don't leave a scratch pattern, just a polish. The Enkay Green (Stainless), Flexcut Gold, Mother M&A, and Craftsman #6 do this. With the Woodstock Extra-Fine Green, Woodstock Red, Enkay Black, Enkay White Diamond (not really diamond) Enkay Red Rouge, and Enkay Blue (leaves ultra fine swirls) leave a scratch pattern of some sort, some finer, some more coarse.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
September 27, 2016 08:40PM
I examined all of the stropping compounds and metal polishes I have at 60X, and I noticed that I found the ones I favored had no visible abrasive grit. The only two exceptions were the Enkay White Diamond, which had no visible grit and is more coarse, while the one I do favor, the Flexcut Gold, had a very fine abrasive, and was quite high concentration, being found evenly throughout the compound in large amounts. The only other compound that had that much visible abrasive was the Enkay Black Emery, although the grit was much larger.

edited 11-21-19 for spelling

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 10:02AM by jasonstone20.
November 17, 2016 12:00PM
I just pick up some ZAM Buffing Compound, and this works great. It cuta fast and leaves a high polish. I also found a great webpage on buffing and polishing compounds:
[www.ganoksin.com]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 04, 2018 06:16PM
Jef Jewel: Loading Strops with Diamond Paste Video:
[youtu.be]

Is there an advantage to using diamond paste vs the regular compounds that come in crayon form?

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 05, 2018 01:49AM
jasonstone20
Jef Jewel: Loading Strops with Diamond Paste Video:
[youtu.be]

Is there an advantage to using diamond paste vs the regular compounds that come in crayon form?

If its in crayon I make it into paste using oil before applying on leather.. I dont like if it is not thick at all and u have to shake it to apply more or less evenly but rather w spray ( like the ones in this vid or the ones Cliff poured into the grass drinking smiley )

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
April 05, 2018 02:54PM
jasonstone20

A crayon can be hard to apply evenly without some effort, plus cheap ones can be a lot of filler and little abrasive. However, and this is a big however, there is little to no evidence on HOW MUCH of an effect these actually make.

It is like saying for example that in general being taller is an advantage in basketball, but how much of a better player is a 6'1" dude vs a 6'2" dude, all other things being equal.

(it likely would take a full season to see who has the better statistics)
April 05, 2018 08:28PM
Cliff,
In the video, it was said that the diamond compound didn't polish as well as the crayon. Do you think that is because the crayon has bigger particles in it and the diamond is more consistent to it's rating?

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 06, 2018 07:44AM
Comparing abrasives is insanely difficult and almost no one does it well because they don't take into account what is actually different.

I don't even know what polish means. Traditionally it means actually mirror polish, i.e., remove scratches. In order do do this you need :

-very consistent abrasive
-sized to need

Generally you don't call satin finishing polishing, so traditionally if you said something didn't polish I would assume it was too coarse or uneven. However terms are used in a semi-random fashion in regards to knives so I hesitate to say what things mean.
April 06, 2018 08:02AM
Cliff,
I agree that there is a problem with the terminology. I took from what the video maker said was that he was expecting a mirror polished edge.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 06, 2018 08:58AM
Jason,

Abrasive particles size and size consistency is one thing, perhaps:

Sharper edged particle of tri angular shaped profile (in 2D imaginary view) will leave deeper scratch
than hexagonal for example. (same pressure)

Also harder particle (unless its too brittle and brake instantly on contact) will leave deeper scratch.

so its not a diamond as diamond nor alumina as alumina nor 1um as 1um compounds.

These are some numers that can tell your what you can expect but they dont define
all parameters at grinding a certain material w them..

Here is an important difference to consider:

Surface polishing vs. Edge shaping

If particle is harder or sharper edged will grind more metal off leaving deeper scratches on the surface
so less perfect polish but it can cut metal better and form edge of a smaller thickness perhaps
as scratches on the bevel are deeper also teeth on the edge are bigger.

Softer or duller abrasive particles may polish the bevels nicer perhaps as they dont cut as fast
the ratio of grinding (shaping) vs. lateral pressure (mechanical deformation) is less optimal
so it wont produce edge so thin (it may but not so easily) perhaps that edge will be more
straight from the side view with teeth not so big.

This is in theory..

April 06, 2018 12:16PM
JSCT,

I was thinking that the large spread in the stick/crayon compounds has been noted to be from 45u down through 0.5u, while the diamond compounds are a lot closer to the listed rating. I think if you went from 10u , 7u, 5u. 3u, 2u, 1u, 0.5u in the diamond paste you would get a nice polish. That is what I had to do.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
April 06, 2018 03:13PM
I believe dialux and luxor brands have pretty consistent grain size spread
I have good experience w both.. perhaps if u dont use oil few grains can make a "pyramid"
and act like a bigger grit grain in finer compound.. thats why i make suspensions out of all crayons..
I never use it dry..

October 27, 2018 10:27AM
Famous Japanese straight razor, Kamisori maker, and metallurgist Kousuke Iwasaki made a pamphlet in Japanese about razor sharpening that has been translated to English:

[strazors.com]

One of the techniques he talks about for burr removal is a piece of wool and CrOx tacked to a board, they returning to the finishing stone to remove any convexity that the pasted strop created. I tried a similar thing with wool felt stapled to scrap wood sprayed with HunterSeeker5's CrOx spray. Seems to work well, and leaves the edge in a near perfect state to apex.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
JDW
October 28, 2018 01:13AM
Thanks for posting!
November 07, 2018 11:39PM
I was talking to Joe Calton on his YouTube Channel, and I asked him what type of CrOx he used, and one type he mentioned was a paste from Maggards Razors. So I looked into it, the price was very reasonable and a little goes a long way. It leaves a sharp edge and polishes very well:
[www.maggardrazors.com]

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 11, 2018 11:05AM
Portland Knife House 1 micron Diamond Honing Spray (gifted from Shawn Houston/Big Brown Bear/Triple B Knives)

Portland Knife House 1 micron Diamond Honing Spray:

This stuff works awesome, and it polishes like crazy, as well as the Mothers and Maggards CrOx.

Picture of a polished edge:

Maggards CrOx Paste:

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 11:31AM by jasonstone20.
November 13, 2018 08:29AM
After stropping with compound, I have found that you get even sharper if you go back to your finishing stone for a few passes, or stropping on plain leather for 20-40 PPS.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
November 19, 2018 08:21PM
I tried the Portland Knife House 1 micron Diamond Honing Spray like suggested here and got great results:

Jeff Clark
[www.bladeforums.com]
For LedSled, I apply 1 micron or 1/2 micron diamond paste onto computer printer "photo paper". I dilute the paste with some oil or other fluid. I support this on a pad of paper and strop on it. I do this after I create a good edge using regular hones. This does a great job on alloys that don't otherwise like to take a fine edge (tend to reach a sharpening plateau). I usually have 1 micron paste along one edge of the photo paper and 1/2 micron paste along the opposite edge. That way I have coarse and fine (well ultra-fine and ultra-ultra-fine) stropping surfaces.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 02, 2018 02:55PM
Regarding the diamond pastes. I was able to get a nice true mirror polish on the whole knife from spine to apex on an A2 blade in a reasonably short amount of time. Blade was satin to begin with so I started with wet & dry #600 up to well worn #1200 and then started at 6 micron and took it down to 0.25 micron. Pastes were DMT and THK. I applied a small amount to little folded squares of newspaper about four pieces thick and polished with the single finger method.

-

I’ve completely turned against stropping the apex as it kills aggression; and also the level of refinement I have come to get (after following Cliff’s advice in various posts of his) off of a Spyderco medium benchstone (or for further refinement- the ultra fine), the DMT EF or the Fällkniven DC4 Grey ceramic side (around the 15-10 micron grit range) is sufficient to produce an edge that still has good aggression and yet will still just whittle a hair, easily cut a free hanging hair, shave without a problem and pushcut a cigarette paper but not quite at a true 90°.

I’ve concluded that stropping simply isn’t necessary nor benefits me in any way when I spend an extra 30-60 seconds on the stone to refine the edge. Plus I no longer like the edges it produces as they aren’t all that practical in real life use.

The steels I’ve experimented with so far, and came to similar conclusions, are: 52100, A2, S30V, S90V, S110V, BD1, O1.

………………………………………………………………………
[www.youtube.com]
December 02, 2018 07:21PM
Wolfgang,
It is possible to strop and not loose slicing aggression, it just takes good angle control along with pressure control, and keeping the passes on the strop to a minimum amount (~5 to 10 passes per side). Also have a strop that isn't loaded and has fresh compound helps a ton, along with good abrasive. Plain stropping works well also. I go back and forth between finishing on the stones or finishing on the strops, sometimes I do both, or sometimes I go back to the stones after stropping. I have been playing around with this for a few years, using burr-less and burr sharpening. I think you can get a decent edge either way. I am all for doing whatever works for you.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 07:29PM by jasonstone20.
December 03, 2018 03:13PM
Jason,

Yes, I’ve previously tried all those things you listed in your reply to me and I still find aggression to be either okay initially but not last or just unacceptable.

After reading your post last night I tried some stropping on a blade that had the same day been sharpened.

52100 Manix 2 with a convex bevel-

“Bevel was previously shaped on Atoma #600 & #1200 and cleaned up and polished on Spyderco medium and ultra fine - never touching the apex. The apex was destressed as usual

Apexed on Spyderco medium, finishing with 3 ultra light passes ps. One very light pps on plain hard leather for more alignment/refinement.”

So after talking to you I took it further-
Stropped on Flexcut strop with Veritas green, 2pps at low angle and ultra light.

Result was a more refined edge, as is expected, less aggression but still some. I’ll see how it lasts. BTW, of all the compounds I’ve tried I like the Veritas the best.

I think I’m just over strops to be honest, I can refine the edge enough without them and thus I feel any use of them is simply degrading the edge. Sure, if I want to whittle hairs they are useful but I don’t find a truly hair whittling edge that useful.

However, the skeptic and avoidance of bias tendency in me thinks I may be overlooking or over thinking something due to being so absorbed in this for a good three months flat out this time round. lol (it happens it waves)

Initially when this change in my technique occurred I was starting to think about blaming the strops instead of the operator, but then started to pay more attention to the edge off of the stone and realised “it doesn’t even need stropping...maybe another ultra light pass or two at best”. We never stop learning and improving our techniques.

It will be interesting to see how the 52100 blade suits me now anyway.

A side note with some questions:

What substrate do you prefer for diamond pastes vs diamond sprays?

What is a typical stone/paste progression for you? (A steel of your choice)

[www.youtube.com]
December 03, 2018 04:43PM
Wolfgang,
I just thought of something that could also make a difference. I am using angles that are ~10-15 DPS, and that can increase the slicing aggression even with high polishes. I am interested in seeing how the 52100 knife you are playing with works out. As of late, I have been using DMT Diafolds: C, F, EF, and EEF, then Spyderco Medium, Fine, UltraFine, and for stropping I have been using Mothers Mag Polish on rough leather, Portland Knife House 1 micron diamond spray on smooth leather, Maggards CrOx paste on rough leather, then stropped on plain leather. For diamond pastes, I prefer wood, cardboard or paper, and with diamond sprays I like leather.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 03, 2018 06:18PM
Wolfgang,
Also, how are you measuring slicing aggression? I am using paper towels, folded and not folded. Concerning sharpening, the progression I am using now, I remember that I am trying out the progression Michael Christy used a few times in his YouTube videos. Same thing with trying stropping, I wanted to see if I could get the same great edges and edge retention that I did from not stropping. I prefer using Japanese Style Waterstones, and finishing with Spyderco Rods along with Arkansas Stones.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 07:01PM by jasonstone20.
December 04, 2018 01:10AM
Jason, by aggression I define it as being able to slice anything I need to cut with little effort. Things such as: string, rope, plastic, hard crusty bread, small twigs/branches on a tree, hessian sacks, tomatoes, most organic materials in general and various other things I can’t recall off hand. It needs to be able to cut with minimal force or the material being cut being stretched or having give or deformation.

Check out the last two videos I posted on this knife. The details are in the description. I’m always open to suggestions.

On this 52100 I just reverted the edge back to about #700 this afternoon as I couldn’t stand the edge I put on it in the previous video.
[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]
December 04, 2018 11:53AM
Wolfgang,
I will check the videos out.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 04, 2018 12:20PM
Wolfgang,
Nice job on sharpening. The edge in the firat video is the type I use since I mostly push cut and run angles >15°, and I see you use angles closer to a zero grind also. I didn't strop for a while, only occasionally if I was having issues with sharpening a knife, but since I naturally push cut mostly, I looked at the edges that are put on woodworking tools and strops, and also there was this thread by Steel Drake that got me into playing around with stropping again: [www.cliffstamp.com]. That led me to this: [www.cliffstamp.com]. The edge you put on with the Spyderco Medium rod is the edge am I going to try next, because I had a conversation with Shawn Houston (Big Brown Bear/Triple B Handmade) about grit selection with diamond and CBN stones, and he felt a good compromise was around 1.5k-2k JIS to give the best combination push cutting and slicing edge retention. I get my combination push cutting and slicing ability from manipulating the edge angle(closer to a zero grind, thinness behind the edge) rather than with grit finish. So next on the list of things to try are a King 1k, a Soft Arkansas, 1.2k EF DMT, and Spyderco Medium.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 04, 2018 01:28PM
Jason,

Firstly, Thanks for the compliment. I’m new to putting myself out there and opening up to Mr. Anybody’s “expert” criticism in the world on YouTube (thus I don’t talk in videos) so compliments are a welcome relief. (Constructive criticism is always welcome, most especially by members on this forum) The purpose of my channel is just to share with other folk like us.

Running near zero grinds (or at least very shallow convex with tiny micros) is something I fail to mention in conversation as it’s just standard on most of my knives and so I overlook it. I rely on the micro to determine the edge strength and intended use etc. I don’t even measure the degrees and just aim for between 30° & 40° inclusive for folders. The outside edge is always a bit shallower than the inside as like the slightly asymmetrical grind.

I will experiment with those suggestions of similarly a 1200-2000 grit finish

Of the stones you plan to try - “King 1k, a Soft Arkansas, 1.2k EF DMT, and Spyderco Medium.” - I can say the DMT EF produces a very nice edge for a combination type as well and is slightly less aggressive than the medium Spyderco. I don’t have a king 1k but I do have a Naniwa 800 and 1k in the same style of stone (their old school “deluxe” style) so I’ll give that a shot as well and compare notes with you.

I will read those links, thanks.

[www.youtube.com]
December 04, 2018 07:29PM
Jason,

This thread you linked me gave me some ideas, ( [www.cliffstamp.com] ) in reference to steel drake and higher micron compounds.

I was thinking of higher micron pastes after stones myself. The highest I was able to take it was 6 microns as that’s the largest I currently have in a paste. I was intending to buy another 7x 20 gram set of THK pastes in higher microns (7- 30 or something similar) but kind of forgot about it when I ceased stropping.

What’s interesting is I can strop S110V down to 6 then 3 microns after the DMT EF and it leaves a very nice finish with plenty of aggression. I love the edge on that steel, which is quite surprising as when I bought the knife I didn’t have high hopes for the steel at all and really only got it to see what people were harping on about. I won’t claim it’s ideal for anything in particular but it takes a nice edge to my liking. Yet, on lower carbide steels it’s another ballgame.

I think I will buy the higher microns pastes and continue to experiment with stropping afterall.

A side note: I’ve seen it claimed that the Kent brand of pastes are just rebranded THK pastes. The packaging and grit colours are identical so I give this claim some credibility. I have seen Kent paste for sale for silly money, just today, compared to THK (the manufacturer) and thus if it’s the same stuff people are being taken for a ride.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login