Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite Stropping Compounds & Mediums

Posted by jasonstone20 
Re: Favorite Stropping Compounds & Mediums
December 05, 2018 10:09AM
Wolfgang,
Yes, finding diamond or CBN stropping abrasives can be difficult to get a product that does what you are looking for and for a decent price. Some popular vendors just order from other manufacturers, put a new label on it, and mark up the price, sometimes at a %100 markup. I like to use something before I sink a bunch of money into it, this isn't always possible, so I usually ask someone else who has already used the product if the like it and how it preforms. I got some diamond pastes off eBay from China, Liangyan brand, 10u-0.5u. They cut well, but don't leave a mirrored polish like the Portland Knife House Diamond, Maggards CrOx, or Mother Mag polish.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 05, 2018 02:15PM
Jason,

Indeed, when I found out about the THK stuff I was hesitant due to the very low cost of it. However, I considered that it is Hong Kong made and sold as a non-knife product and this at least accounts for a large proportion of the cost factor.

I asked a couple of people and they were pleased with it; one guy I know of has been using it for 7 years and said he liked it quite a bit...I’ve seen his edges, they are very sharp and highly polished. I didn’t find much by way of google. Kent seems to sell it under their name and I’ve found a few references of people claiming “Kent” to be good.

So I ordered the 7x20 gram pack of grits...you can choose what grits you want or get only one or two, they don’t care and the cost is the same. When I received it I thought I’d try a blade polish to see how well it works and the blade came out very well. It seems to work best on newsprint or cereal box cardboard and doesn’t do well on leather at all as it’s too thick. I tried it out by using the full set of grits I ordered of 5, 3.5, 2.5, 1, 0.5, 0.25 microns and checked the blade after each step and until I got to 1 micron I noticed a definite refinement. After the 1 micron I was having trouble feeling the difference although I’m sure it was there when cutting hairs.

I’m not sure of its quality vs DMT, for example, but it certainly does polish and refine an edge. They offer both oil and water based in the syringes or oil based in the 20 gram containers.

I wouldn’t recommend buying a ton of it but I would recommend buying a small set of the syringes to try as at this stage I think it is worth it. I have no reference to compare it to except DMT and only 1 micron for a direct grit for grit comparison. These are the only two diamond pastes I’ve experienced.

I did check out that Liangyan brand but never bought any as I only needed one set at the time.

The seller of THK on eBay is Great_Tool if you’re interested, they ship free as well.

………………………………………………………………………
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 02:21PM by Wolfgang.
December 05, 2018 04:00PM
Wolfgang,
Awesome, thank you. I will check the THK paste out, I have seen it for sale, good to know it is worth purchasing.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 11, 2018 06:49PM
BladeForums: All About Dialux Compound

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login