Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Analog for the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick of Joy"

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Analog for the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick of Joy"
August 10, 2016 04:30PM
Since the Naniwa 2k Aotoshi "Green Brick of Joy" is only available from a very few sellers in the USA/Canada, I had been wondering if anyone had used a stone that had similar grit and the desired muddy slurry. I have a Suehiro 1k/3k stone and a Norton 4k/8k, and I use the 3k and 4k side after the 1k King or 1k side of the Steelex/Woodstock 1k/6k which is very muddy like the King 1k. But the Suehiro 3k and Norton 4k have a watery slurry, and even if I generated a slurry with a slurry stone beforehand, they still can form a burr if I am not careful. The polish is there, as the Suehiro 3k almost looks as polished as the 6k Steelex/Woodstock hone. The 4k polishes if a little loaded, but not as good as the Suehiro 1k/3k.

So basically, has anyone used or knows of a colloidal slurry forming 2k-4k hone that's readily available?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: Analog for the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick of Joy"
August 10, 2016 05:22PM
I wish I could help Jason, but I don't.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
August 10, 2016 06:35PM
I wonder if loading a 2k-4k stone with slurry from the 1k King, like using the 1k King as a slurry stone, might create desirable results....maybe even on a Soft Arkansas, it would be interesting to see what happens....I will try it out, see if anything interesting happens

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
August 11, 2016 12:58AM
Jason,

I haven't used my 3k Sigma Power Select II in a while, but I think it will form a sustainable colloidal slurry. I'll try and double check that for you tomorrow and get back to you.
August 11, 2016 01:33AM
Steel_Drake,
Nice....I remember that you did some work in this area

August 11, 2016 01:39AM
Jason,

Crossing threads slightly, a 6k SPS-II definitely forms a sustainable colloidal type slurry, so the SPS-II 1k/6k would cover you for a muddy type stone you could use after an SPS-II 1k or King 1k.
August 11, 2016 02:13AM
Steel_Drake,
That's exactly what I am looking for, a stone after the King 1k so I can apex on a Spyderco UF rod or DMT EEF. If I plateau sharpen, I can get away with going from the King 1k straight away, but if I am not careful in applying the apex, or the steel isn't ideal for high sharpness, I get some issues that go away if I prepared the apex better.

August 11, 2016 12:58PM
Jason,

I would definitely want the SPS-II 6k if I was planning to apex on something as fine as a Spyderco UF. A King 4k would work as well, but the SPS-II 6k forms much more of a self-propagating colloidal slurry in my use. The King 4k will start off with a thick colloidal slurry, but the slurry ends up pretty thin as you keep having to add water to it.

Though I will say that the King 4k does still tend to do a good job at minimizing the micro-burr, I don't think you'd have any trouble setting an apex with a Spyderco F, UF, DMT EEF, ~10-16 micron compound strop, etc after it.
August 11, 2016 01:21PM
Steel_Drake,
Most of my knives are easy to grind, so I don't have to use a lot of passes, so maybe a King 4k stone, or since I like combination stones, a King 800/4k combination hone.

October 12, 2016 05:34PM
It just came to mind that a Belgian Blue Whetstone might be a good option, because of the abrasive shape ( reportedly to reduce burr formation) , ability to create a slurry, and reportedly being a "soft" stone, and a good polisher. Has anyone used one?

October 13, 2016 10:45AM
I am leaning towards getting the Norton 4k/8k first for a few reasons:

I have experience with it in a small (2"x3" ) quarted stone from Whipped Dog.
I can use it for knives and razors.
It is available locally AND at the same price as Amazon or other online sellers.
It is a wide stone (8"x3" ) , and while I do favor smaller stones sometimes, large, wide hones have a place.
If I use alternating, light foward leading passes, it reduces the chance of burr formation, plus I can also use it by forming a slurry first.
It fills the grit rating I need, with both the 4k side (filling a whole in my grit range), and also the 8k side (which i can polish knives on and use for razors).

I still plan on getting the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick", it looks to be a very useful stone, and one I would like. Plus, I have a few King 1k stones, so with either Plateau Sharpening or careful light, edge leading passes, or even using burr minimization, I should be able to get to the higher grits and polish and the 3k side of my Suehiro SKG-38 1k/3k or the 4k side of the Norton 4k/8k, or even the 6k side of the Steelex/Woodstock 1k/6k.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 10:54AM by jasonstone20.
October 14, 2016 02:59PM
jasonstone20
It just came to mind that a Belgian Blue Whetstone might be a good option, because of the abrasive shape ( reportedly to reduce burr formation) , ability to create a slurry, and reportedly being a "soft" stone, and a good polisher. Has anyone used one?

Get one, I doubt you'd regret it as they are highly regarded… then I might have to break down and buy one LOL.
October 14, 2016 03:45PM
Yes, I have a few stones still on my "to buy" list, the BBW is one of them.

(Edit)
PS: I am far beyond having the just the necessities for getting a pocket knife or kitchen knife sharp, and I really can't tell much of a difference between stone finishes unless they're extreme, ie 6k-8k vs 220/325 grits.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 04:02PM by jasonstone20.
November 18, 2016 12:49PM
I think I found what I was looking for. I bought a Belgian Coticule #7 Bout (I think it may be from the La Grise vein). This stone is very interesting, and it has a slurry type I have never seen before, it doesn't really break down in use, and increases cutting speed and minimizes burr formation. Also, the stone has a huge approximate grit range, from ~4-6k through ~8k and up to ~10-12k+. Polish is excellent, close to the Norton 8k, which is the best polisher I have used, with the Surgical Black and Translucent Arkansas stones the only other natural stones that I have used that have a great polish.

January 02, 2017 06:31PM
Jason, I haven't used the green brick but the Superstone 1000 might be worth looking into. They now sell a 3/8" thick version and a 3/4" thick one as well. It produces the same kind of slurry that the 400 does, and works well for giving a higher finish while still minimizing burr formation.
January 02, 2017 08:07PM
Ryan,
Thank you, I will keep that in mind. It does remind me though, I think I found a solution to what I was needing with a #7 Coticule Bout I acquired recently.

January 04, 2017 06:18PM
Also, I have a Norton 4k/8k and a Suehiro 1k/3k, and the 4k Norton side is a spectacular stone, and the Suehiro 3k side was a suprise, it is a nice polisher, it looks 4-5k. I am just going to bite the bullet and buy the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k from CKTG, they seem to be the only place to buy it from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 06:19PM by jasonstone20.
January 29, 2017 04:33PM
The Imanishi Tamago is a nice alternative. It's splash 'n' go, has a creamy slurry, and finishes in the same range as the Green Brick, but wears more slowly. I find it more versatile since you can (cautiously) apex edge-leading.

Buttermilk Supply has it, as do a few other vendors.

I must admit that there is something viscerally satisfying about the heft of a "brick" that standard-sized stones just can't replicate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 04:36PM by humphreyblowdart.
January 29, 2017 04:41PM
Nice, thank you

February 01, 2017 10:27PM
The 3k side of a Naniwa CS-510/430 (QA-0124 in the Japanese market) has been performing a similar role for me lately. I would call it a poor man's Super Stone—it feels very similar, even sharing the same problem with loading as the 3k SS does without slurry. It sometimes feels like the knife is sticking to the stone in use, but it doesn't catch on the edge or gouge as easily as something like a King 6k. The scratch pattern is between a Shapton Pro 2k and 5k, closer to the latter. There's also a full-sized version that's only sold in the Japanese market, the QA-0114. I might get that when this one gives out. It's probably cheaper on eBay or Rakuten or whatever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 10:44PM by humphreyblowdart.
September 19, 2020 03:18AM
So I finally got a Naniwa Aotoshi 2k. Awesome stone! Cuts relatively quickly and leaves a good polish, as well as an edge ready for a 6k-8k stone. This stone seems like it is splash and go, as I put it in a tub of water and there were no bubbles. Even after trying to soak it, the stone didn't seem to absorb much water, and dried in the same time as my Naniwa Fuji 8k stone. This stone, as well as the 1k King, and the Fuji 8k, are must haves if you like waterstones.

September 21, 2020 05:48AM
Just an FYI if you cant find the Aotoishi 2k look for the Naniwa Traditional 2k or if you are in Europe for the Skerper Pro 2k from Knives and Tools. These stones are thinner versions of the Aotoishi and there have been tests with both stones side by side with no discernable difference.
September 21, 2020 06:12AM
[ad.knivesandtools.eu]

This one?

September 21, 2020 06:59AM
Yes as well as this one [www.dictum.com]

And as Naniwa does rebrands for stores propably quite a few others.
July 19, 2021 11:03PM
As a note, it is important to keep the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k "Green Brick of Joy" stone very wet when using. It is a very soft stone, and if it dries out, you can slice a huge chunk out of the stone, just ask me how I know, lol!