Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sharpening an Ontario machete with DMT Diafolds

Posted by SVallieres 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cKc
Re: Sharpening an Ontario machete with DMT Diafolds
May 20, 2020 11:23PM
do you mean its gone dull, or you just bought it and its dull?

Machetes never come sharp, mostly dont even come with an edge bevel.

its the intent that the buyer will file it to what they need.. wafer thin for grass, thick for woods and bamboos..

like any knife.. yes, it should be sharp, but because they are thin and light they will cut ok when they are dulled, but they still need a bevel

most indigenous peoples will just use the bastard file, and thats it. you can actually get it very sharp just with a file.. so stop at any grit really.. but if you are doing wood chopping polish it.. grasses, toothy

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
May 21, 2020 03:07AM
cKc,
It was sitting and went dull. I sharpened it with 2nd cut file a few years ago.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 06:27PM by jasonstone20.
cKc
May 21, 2020 03:35AM
just treat it like any other knife.

May 21, 2020 03:29PM
I tend to run mine as large knives and micro-bevel with the norton fine india. Same with my fiskars billhook. I'm typically cutting shrubs and wood.
May 21, 2020 04:28PM
Tactical Knives Magazine Steven Dick has a wilderness survival school here in the Pacific Northwest, my neck of the woods, and he favored machetes. I always wanted to know what kind he used, and how he sharpened them. Here we have a lot of evergreens, ferns and blackberry's. I sharpened mine with the Smith's C #325 Yellow Diamond Oval sharpening rod, and then used the Super Stick Ceramic. I got the edge to shave, but it needs a slight draw to do so, not sure why. The edge is pretty thick.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
cKc
May 21, 2020 05:04PM
the general reality of how you sharpen a machete is, you do what you need on the day for the work you are doing. its very common to carry the file with you, and regrind thick or thin, polish or toothy to what you need and what environment.

a toothy thin edge, almost like a burr will cut grass for a long time, but wont hold up on bamboo and wood. you just need to adjust for the environment.

best way really is to get out there and experiement on long grasses, light brush and wood and see the difference.

for grass you'd go for a very thin primary angle, wood you need to reduce the natural binding of the thin steel.

his channel circa 10 yrs ago is a good machete channel for modifications, use tweaks etc.
Colhane

cKc
May 21, 2020 05:16PM

May 21, 2020 06:29PM
cKc,
Yes, that is almost exactly what it looks like around here.

May 22, 2020 06:21PM
I sharpened this again, to see if I could improved the edge. I used my new Diafold Black XC #220/ Blue C # 325 and the Norton IC6 SiC/AlO (M Crystolon and F India), and then stropped. This edge is a lot better, it feels sharp, and will pushcut notebook paper. The issue is that the grind is so think, and it is a fairly severe convex at the edge bevel grind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 06:34PM by jasonstone20.
May 22, 2020 06:34PM
Just for fun I used the Dan's Soft Arkansas and Dan's Surgical Black Arkansas.

cKc
May 22, 2020 06:35PM
sounds like you need to buy a file, and grind it down to shape.. small stones on a machete are not going to get it where it needs to be easily

May 22, 2020 06:48PM
cKc,
I have a file, I had the same issue with the file that I have with the stones. The edge bevel is extremely asymmetrical, like 80/20 or 70/30, and also a serious convex. I need to just set it in the vise an file it down some to flatten it out, I have to go above 30° DPS to even hit the apex. It is 0.035"-0.040" BTE, and 0.055" a 1/16" up the blade from the edge. It really needs to be reground on a power machine, it is too much for my hands to deal with such a heavy blade.

cKc
May 22, 2020 08:31PM
a file should be able to cut that with less effort than you might put into sharpening a knife on a stone..

if tis not, then i suspect your file is dull. maybe a double cut file?

have you got a picture. im not sure which machet we are talking about. do ontario only make one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 08:45PM by cKc.
June 07, 2020 02:09AM
cKc,
I am going to get a new file on Monday, I think mine is dull.

June 07, 2020 02:32AM
I have this time stamped at 18 mins, take a look at the file cutting that axe :

[www.youtube.com]

Just think about trying to do with a stone what he does with that file.
cKc
June 07, 2020 03:31AM
CliffStamp
I have this time stamped at 18 mins, take a look at the file cutting that axe :

[www.youtube.com]

Just think about trying to do with a stone what he does with that file.

another advantage to softer steels..

Jason either get a double cut file, or ensure you never go against the teeth of a single cut, which can dull the quickly

June 07, 2020 12:41PM
I can see light reflecting on both sides of the file, and it doesn't bite into steel like it used to.

June 10, 2020 04:28PM
Here is a picture of both sides of my file:

June 10, 2020 05:21PM
Ok, I got a new file, a 12" Double Cut, 2nd Cut file. Cuts way faster than my other file, I can actually see it removing metal.

June 10, 2020 08:19PM
Jason,

Usually I use HCl or H2SO4 to reconditioning files, but is much safer to you, if you wanna try, use lemon juice. Put your file in a plastic recipient, use a toothpick under one extremity of the file and another in the other extremity for both faces been in contact with the citric acid and cover the file with lemon juice. After 24hrs the job is probably done.

Alternatively you could use warm vinegar.

As your file seems in relatively good condition I recommend you to test this with another file in worse condition and evaluate the result.
June 10, 2020 09:46PM
cabraljr,
Thank you for the tip. I will give it a try, I have seen it recommended before but I wasn't sure if it worked.

cKc
June 11, 2020 07:03AM
cabraljr
Jason,

Usually I use HCl or H2SO4 to reconditioning files, but is much safer to you, if you wanna try, use lemon juice. Put your file in a plastic recipient, use a toothpick under one extremity of the file and another in the other extremity for both faces been in contact with the citric acid and cover the file with lemon juice. After 24hrs the job is probably done.

As your file seems in relatively good condition I recommend you to test this with another file in worse condition and evaluate the result.

how does that work? is it etching the worn teeth to make them finer?

June 11, 2020 01:30PM
cKc
cabraljr
Jason,

how does that work? is it etching the worn teeth to make them finer?

Yes. I think it etches off the deformation at the edge of the teeth, and leaves a cutting tooth. Not as good as a new file, but better than an old one.

June 11, 2020 01:42PM
Yes! Not quite the Jason file case that show no signs of rust, but acid cleans the rust and "sharp" the file. Rust has more volume than the amount of steel that originated it and tends to round the cutting surface of the file. I think that is how works.
June 11, 2020 02:07PM
I'm not the only one using a file card, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 02:07PM by tarantella.
June 11, 2020 06:41PM
No, they are necessary to remove material clogged in the file. Must be used before the "cleaning" with acid. Some degreasing is necessary too.
June 20, 2020 03:39AM
That reminds me, I need to pick up a proper card file. I have wire brushes, but I like using the right tool for the right job.

One thing I am having a huge problem with is my hands, both of them (the one holding the machete and the one holding the file) get weak and stark hurting when I am sharpening. I need to clamp these beasts to a table and go from there. I am still really not happy with the edges. They will cut, for sure, but they are not sharp how I like. Plus they are awfully convexed, and not in a good way. I am glad I got that new file, however, it is a beast. I might try some filed, super coarse edges to play with. I just like the idea of filed edges, ever since rec.knives a long time ago when they were talking about them. I sometimes wonder what happened to those guys, same on KnifeForums and BladeForums. About half a dozen to a dozen guys that did a lot of good work, I learned a lot. Unfortunately, I would only lurk, so I didn't get full benefit, and I would also take a time off knives for a while, then get back into them with a vengeance.

June 20, 2020 04:03AM
I talked to Mike Swaim awhile back, he learned enough to make intelligent choices, then got into other hobbies. Alvin Johnston passed away some years back as did a number of other guys, that was ~30 years ago and a lot of those guys were older at that time.
June 20, 2020 04:07AM
Cliff,
It is funny how you really don't know someone's age on the internet. I guess the default is to assume everyone is in your peer group. I was in my early 20's back then.

July 10, 2020 06:25PM
Ok, I finally got my 18" Ontario Machete sharp. I bought a new file, a combo file, 10" with an integral handle, coarse double cut on one side, finer single cut on the other. I was having several issues that were preventing me from getting a sharp edge on this machete. What I did to fix it was use a Sharpie marker to see where I was grinding. I was grinding way up on the shoulder, and the edge is very convexed, so I was getting tired before I hit the apex. I also uses a vise, which helped at first, and then I figured out a way to hold the machete and not get fatigued using it. The machete now slices phone book paper, and that is the very coarse file finish.

I got the BDUA10 File:
[www.mercerindustries.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 06:29PM by jasonstone20.